Question About An Intact Male Cat

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in an approx. 4 year old stray recently and after much patience, he is now a happy, inside only cat. He has not been neutered however. He does have a clean bill of health from the vet. Pretty much everything I've read says an intact male cat is a terror to live with due to them spraying, being aggressive, howling, etc. That has not been the case with this cat. He's very loving, has never been aggressive toward my other cats - quite the opposite, he loves romping around and playing with them. He has perfect litter box habits and has never sprayed.

Has anyone else had this experience with an intact male cat?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of what you'll read about intact behavior is directed with a mind towards encouraging neutering. It is entirely possible to have an intact male with a different personality. That said, behavior alone is not the only reason to neuter.

There is the health benefit for males of reducing risk of prostate cancer, personal adenomas and perineal hernias. If he gets out someday (and he will try if he hears or smells a female in heat since he isn't neutered) he won't be further contributing towards cat overpopulation. Which, on that note, the behavior of doing anything to escape and get to a female won't be triggered until there is a female in heat in the area. The extremes males will go to to get to the female are legendary. Just because he hasn't heard or smelled a female to react to yet doesn't mean he won't. Broken window, jumping out of open windows several stories up, tearing apart screens and attacking their human who is blocking them are just some of the crazy stories I have heard when hormones take over.

I personally see no benefit with leaving a healthy male intact. The surgery is very minor for males and can be done at a very low cost (around here $40).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually hadn't thought of that, that the reason he may be so sweet right now is because there are no females in heat around. I do plan to have him neutered, I've just been putting it off as his behavior hasn't been an issue at all. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to surgery on my pets also so I'm just working up the courage, even though I know it's minor and safe.

Thank you very much for your reply!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So just a wild thought. You said he was a stray, was he previously owned? Here is the wild thing, some people have had a cats testicles removed and replaced with artificial ones. This preserves the look. I know they do it for dogs as well. It is a bit expensive but some people think its the best thing for them so they look intact. Crazy people with money to spend do some crazy things. I have no idea how you could find out other than if the cat is chipped and you could get its medical history. ---- Forgive me if I have made things more complicated.

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely a wild thought lol. I assume he was previously owned, just due to some behaviors of his. He doesn't have a chip though....I did post around several places trying to find an owner but noone claimed him. But now that I'm doing some internet searches I've found people who thought their cats weren't neutered (just by looking at them) but they in fact were! "Many male cats still have the appearance of having testicles due to the way the surgery is performed."

My mobile vet felt him and said he's intact but maybe I need a second opinion.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How strong-smelling is his urine? Does he have a very round and muscular face? It's true that some neutered boys look like they still have something back there, especially if they were full toms before neutering.

I've taken in adult strays who were gentlemen and didn't spray or fight. That may be an adolescent thing that they've outgrown. But the urine smell alone is enough for me. . .yikes. If his urine isn't too strong maybe he is neutered.

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't noticed any urine smell different from what I'm used to with my other cats. I'd probably describe his face as round and muscular. Here's a photo:

View media item 420116

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
>>Which, on that note, the behavior of doing anything to escape and get to a female won't be triggered until there is a female in heat in the area. The extremes males will go to to get to the female are legendary. Just because he hasn't heard or smelled a female to react to yet doesn't mean he won't. Broken window, jumping out of open windows several stories up, tearing apart screens and attacking their human who is blocking them are just some of the crazy stories I have heard when hormones take over.

Just wanted to update - a female stray came around our property yesterday and my cat has basically gone insane. He bit me really hard on the hand and broke skin, has been yowling for literally 15 hours straight, and is trying to claw his way out the glass patio door. I do regret now not taking your advice and waiting to have him fixed! We have an appointment tomorrow morning. Lesson learned.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it eventually catches up. Looking at his picture, I bet he wasn't 4 years old, maybe only 2. So he finally hit social maturity, that's what happens!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"The scent of a Woman". It was a movie that had nothing to do with cats but the title was interesting. The world is crazy enough as it is, can you imagine if people responded to pheromones like that. But then, what a court defense. " I picked up the scent and couldn't help myself."
It must be getting close to spring and it is in the air. My big feral who has been lounging around all winter went outside for a walk, sniffed the air and I haven't seen him in three days now. Twenty below zero last night with a few new inches of snow and a pretty good wind and this guy is traveling, tracking down that scent no matter what. Now you know why they survive as a species. My nearest neighbor is almost 1/2 mile away with nothing but open field around. That far away and these guys can still smell that. Hopefully he will come back once the fun is over.