Question about a rescue

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
C curiouskitties

It's perfectly fine for her to take her breaks with you. The kittens can go for a couple of hours without mom, and the only time she can get away is when they are sleeping. Cats will usually "check" on their kittens at regular intervals, and if they hear a mew, will instantly run back. She just wants some affection and acknowledgement for her sacrifices! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]
Agree completely, well said x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm just worried but won't the kittens get cold if she keeps leaving them? I keep warming up the rice sock but it isn't warm by the time I get a chance to check it. Their box is covered and it has a potty pad then a towel and then a fleece blanket, so it is layered and they are towards the back of it. Will they cry if cold?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you microwave the rice sock for five minutes it should stay warm for 3-4 hours.

The best being covered may make mama want to be in it less.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can afford an electric heating pad, put it under the blankets they lie on (leaving room for them to move off if they get too hot) set on low, and you don't have to worry. My stray had kittens last March, and I ran the heating pad nonstop for 3 full weeks on low. It's easiest and gives consistent heat. Mama cats don't stay non-stop with their kittens.

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did go ahead and get a heating pad and even Duchess is a fan. It's odd because she never wanted to be on a lap when she was pregnant and now it's like she's a different cat!

Babies are sleeping comfortably on the heating pad (it's under a fleece blanket and is on low).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's wonderful! Babies will love it, and the heat will be even and consistent.

It's interesting that Duchess wants to be a lap cat now. I think you'll see her settle into her mom role a little more in the next couple of days.

Are the kittens still gaining weight?

Last edited:

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were both the same as they were when I checked this afternoon, is that ok?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they should show a gain by tomorrow from overnight.

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
White kitten is now 4.0 oz. Gray kitten is 4.2 oz.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing great! Ideally, they should double their birth weights by the end of the first week, and weigh about one pound by 4 weeks old. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The little white one has lost 0.1 oz. I am going to give him (I think him) some kmr. Should I be doing it every 2 hours? I have seen him nursing and Duchess does stay with then more than she was yesterday.

Last edited:

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only person that uses rice babies. The only heating pad I own is very old and simply doesn't maintain a consistent heat- but that's great for me when I need it! Hehehe.

Yeah, a well made rice baby, or rice sock, with pretty solidly packed rice, should definitely stay warm for about four hours if popped in a microwave for five minutes. If the rice is too loose, it won't stay very warm very long. I loved them for rehabbing all critters, because I could stick them in the microwave when I was feeding. It's funny how inconsistent I am with my own time, but taking care of babies turns me into a high functioning robot!

Besides the lost weight, it sounds like the babies are coming along! I'll stand by for advice too! I'd love to help out as well!

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fed him 1 ml and then Duchess came over and sniffed the syringe and started cleaning his face pretty roughly then proceeded to pick him up by the throat, not scruff on the back of the neck. Should I feed him away from her?

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All the skin all around their necks is pretty stretchy, and as long as the kitten didn't cry out or seem to be in pain, or she wasn't biting into the actuwl meat of his neck, it's fine- if that's your concern. I've seen kittens get picked up by mommas, nurses, and other adults in the weirdest ways, even with a whole mouth all the way around their necks. [emoji]128531[/emoji]

If your concern was her taking the kitten away, then yeah, you might want to feed him in the nest, if that's even feasible, or away from her completely. Just try not to cause her any major alarm, like trying to run him out of the room like a linebacker! You'll know you're worrying her if she tries to move the kittens, but even then, all you can do is keep trying to feed him!

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I was more concerned about her hurting him. She was fine with me feeding him until she smelled the little bit that was on his cheek.

She is a rescue that we have had for 6 weeks now so I wasn't sure how she would respond to me even trying to weigh them but she seems very comfortable with me picking them up for that. The only other kittens I have been around tht were this little were orphaned so I didn't have mama poking her head in to see what I was doing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Duchess smelled the formula on her baby. That's why she licked his face like that. Give her some formula in a dish at the same time. If you need to feed him away from her to get the formula in him, do so. Do whatever works best and return him gently to mom. Did he take the formula okay though?

Last edited:

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he did take it well. At first he cried since he didn't know what I was doing but as soon as he swallowed he calmed down.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great. I'd give him 1-2 mL's every hour or two until he shows good weight gain over a few days' time. He needs to get strong enough to suckle well from mom. How's the other kitten's weight gain?

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other kitten is up to 4.4 oz, so he's gained a full ounce since birth!