Question About 5-6 Week Old Kittens?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I have to watch these 5-6 week old kittens for a couple weeks.

We don't know their age, but they're around 470 grams. Anyone can guess age?

They're both eating, drinking, using litter box. But one of them did poop next to their heated bed. They're in a tent right now. I moved the poop in the litter box and showed both kitten it.

Anything else I can do?

Also any advice on what I can do to entertain them? They have each other, but do cry out a lot. I have a toy mouse, and other small toys in there for them. Thoughts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're 5-6 weeks old, they're small. They should be around 500 grams at 4 weeks. But if they're eating well they'll catch up. It might be a good idea to put some KMR in their canned food for the extra nutrition.

At that age, they like it when you just sit with them and let them crawl on you, maybe toss their toys or wiggle a string, etc. They like to be close to you but you don't necessarily have to always be entertaining them. You can sit with them while reading, playing on your phone, etc.

They will be iffy on litterbox use at this age. Just keep doing what you're doing. If they pee somewhere else, soak it up with a paper towel and put that in the litterbox for a while. When you clean the litterbox, save some of the dirty litter and mix it with the new stuff so it doesn't lose their scent. If you can, place them in the litterbox after they wake up, or a few minutes after eating, the same way you'd potty-train a puppy. They can't always feel it coming at that age so putting them in the litterbox might jog their memories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they're 5-6 weeks old, they're small. They should be around 500 grams at 4 weeks. But if they're eating well they'll catch up. It might be a good idea to put some KMR in their canned food for the extra nutrition.

At that age, they like it when you just sit with them and let them crawl on you, maybe toss their toys or wiggle a string, etc. They like to be close to you but you don't necessarily have to always be entertaining them. You can sit with them while reading, playing on your phone, etc.

They will be iffy on litterbox use at this age. Just keep doing what you're doing. If they pee somewhere else, soak it up with a paper towel and put that in the litterbox for a while. When you clean the litterbox, save some of the dirty litter and mix it with the new stuff so it doesn't lose their scent. If you can, place them in the litterbox after they wake up, or a few minutes after eating, the same way you'd potty-train a puppy. They can't always feel it coming at that age so putting them in the litterbox might jog their memories.
Hello,

Okay gotcha thanks!

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thoughts on age?

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Willowy’s advice is excellent. I agree that adding in some KMR would be good.

At this age, they’ll do a good job entertaining each other, but it’s fun to hang out with young kittens, because they are so curious, and they will like climbing on you. Plus it helps them become socialized to humans, so that they can grow into friendly adult cats.

Are you using non-clumping litter? That’s important, because if a kitten tries to eat the litter, clumping litter would clump inside them.

Based on the picture, I think 5-6 weeks is a good guess. It’s easier, I think, to tell in person. This article is quite helpful: How Old Is That Kitten? Kitten Progression: At-a-Glance

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Willowy’s advice is excellent. I agree that adding in some KMR would be good.

At this age, they’ll do a good job entertaining each other, but it’s fun to hang out with young kittens, because they are so curious, and they will like climbing on you. Plus it helps them become socialized to humans, so that they can grow into friendly adult cats.

Are you using non-clumping litter? That’s important, because if a kitten tries to eat the litter, clumping litter would clump inside them.

Based on the picture, I think 5-6 weeks is a good guess. It’s easier, I think, to tell in person. This article is quite helpful: How Old Is That Kitten? Kitten Progression: At-a-Glance
Hello,

Okay gotcha thanks! Any other advice you would give?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to put up a barricade between my bedroom and elsewhere when I move the kittens to my bedroom. Do you guys think it's a good idea to have it here?

Just worried it'll put too much pressure on my two cats to keep jumping over, or if they chase each other and have to make a sudden jump.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Any thoughts on the video willowy?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're young and healthy, a little extra jumping isn't gonna hurt :D. If one of them is arthritic or something it could pose a challenge.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they're young and healthy, a little extra jumping isn't gonna hurt :D. If one of them is arthritic or something it could pose a challenge.
Gotcha, going to cut a few inches.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I have a bigger problem now. Today I scooped the litter box in the morning, and I only found one piece of dirty area in the litter that was pee that I had to clean. When I just scooped again just now, I only found one as well. But I also found a pool of pee far away from the litter box. I tried to clean the tent as best I could with soap. But not sure what else I can do?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean for the kittens, not the adult cats, right? Like I said, next time soak a paper towel with the pee and put that in the litterbox. It's not easy for them to get the hang of it without a mother to imitate.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You mean for the kittens, not the adult cats, right? Like I said, next time soak a paper towel with the pee and put that in the litterbox. It's not easy for them to get the hang of it without a mother to imitate.
Sorry yes the two kittens.

Okay, so basically let it play out? Just want to make sure there isn't anything else I can do.

Do I put the entire paper towel in the litterbox or just soak the paper towel and brush it in the litter box?

Just confused since someone is still peeing in the litter box, another isn't.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the litterbox is big enough, leave the paper towel there for a while. Long enough for the scent to soak in so the next time they'll be sniffing around like "where did I pee last time. . .oh, now I smell it".

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the litterbox is big enough, leave the paper towel there for a while. Long enough for the scent to soak in so the next time they'll be sniffing around like "where did I pee last time. . .oh, now I smell it".
Hello,

Okay gotcha. Going to my local walmart, to find a smaller litter box or something that resembles it now.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got them a new "litter box", but I fear it may be too small.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I did see the gray kitten pee in the litter box, so I'm wondering if maybe the brown one isn't peeing or pooping in the litter box but holding it in. In the last 10 hours since I last cleaned the litter box I only found one pee spot. Any thoughts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks big enough for babies. I just use a cardboard cat food can tray and that looks about the same size.

Their pee spots are so little at that age. Did you look in their bedding for any wet spots?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks big enough for babies. I just use a cardboard cat food can tray and that looks about the same size.

Their pee spots are so little at that age. Did you look in their bedding for any wet spots?
I thought it was pretty large amount, almost like they were holding it in.

I didn't feel any wet spots. They could have peed in the heater that I have for them and it dried up. But that's where they sleep at, so I don't know.