Quell my anxieties, if you're able :^(

nervouscatpapa96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, just got my sweet little kitty Millicent spayed yesterday. The procedure was done around 11 am, I picked her up around 4 pm.
I got her home, she's eaten and drank just fine, had plenty of energy to try to jump around out of the crate, I crated her again and she knocked that off. I put the e-collar on her after a failed first attempt where she managed to jump out of my arms. After that, I called the vet and sent a pic of the sutures just to make sure she was okay after her misdeed and they said it looked okay and to just keep monitoring it.

It's been almost 24 hours now and as far as I can tell she hasnt used the litterbox, although she did get in it just to mess it up when I first got her home. How long should I wait for her to pee/poop before I'm concerned?

Thanks to anyone that reads this, I am very nervous about this whole procedure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have other cats, and that is why you aren't sure if she has used the litter box? Regardless, I wouldn't panic just yet, but you can try to set her in the litter box and see if she will go then. If not the first time, try every hour or two after that. The pooping might be delayed a bit if she was fasted before surgery - she could be likely 'catching' up in producing poop.

It is a monitoring process, just like the vet said, but for all aspects, including her eating/drinking habits, her energy level/behavior, as well as the litter box use or lack of. If another 24 hours pass and she still hasn't gone, you probably should call the vet and let them know. I hope she goes, and you don't have to call them!!

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nervouscatpapa96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have other cats, and that is why you aren't sure if she has used the litter box? Regardless, I wouldn't panic just yet, but you can try to set her in the litter box and see if she will go then. If not the first time, try every hour or two after that. The pooping might be delayed a bit if she was fasted before surgery - she could be likely 'catching' up in producing poop.

It is a monitoring process, just like the vet said, but for all aspects, including her eating/drinking habits, her energy level/behavior, as well as the litter box use or lack of. If another 24 hours pass and she still hasn't gone, you probably should call the vet and let them know. I hope she goes, and you don't have to call them!!

Keep us posted!
She's in the office right now with her own litterbox, theres definitely footprints in there, but in the time before I slept, and the time since waking up I havent seen her use it so I guess I'm just worried.

Thanks for the reply

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because she was without food for many hours, it will take time for her to poop. Same with the water. Sounds like she's doing well.