Queen Still Big...? Help

Sphynxlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our queen Pearl has had a litter of healthy babies, and she is eating, running around, has gone to the toilet and seems okay. But she's still very large, especially on her left side. When we took her to the vet the vet had never used the ultrasound machine before and only managed to see 3 babies before giving up and looking from just one side of the adnomen. She guessed Pearl had 4-5 based on the ultra sound... hmmm. But noted she was very big as have other people.

When she rolls on her side to let the newborns suckle she's round and hard.

All the placentas came out and she ate them (most before they even came out, sucking them out like spaghetti). Have felt her stomach, at first sometimes she reacts and meows then lets me continue pushing to see if I can feel anything. Nothing seems to feel like a kitten or any moving but she's solid. My aunt who breeds cats says she was expecting her to have more then 5 considering her size.

Anybody else had a cat stay large with a solid belly after birthing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she could still be pregnant, but it could also be that her uterus needs to shrink back to normal. Cats often appear lumpy after delivering. Be careful about pushing on her stomach.

When did she deliver?

Your best bet is to wait it out. If she is still pregnant she will deliver in due time. Cats can deliver hours and even days apart. It's not unusual at all.

In the meantime, are the 5 kittens all latching and nursing well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sphynxlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she could still be pregnant, but it could also be that her uterus needs to shrink back to normal. Cats often appear lumpy after delivering. Be careful about pushing on her stomach.

When did she deliver?

Your best bet is to wait it out. If she is still pregnant she will deliver in due time. Cats can deliver hours and even days apart. It's not unusual at all.

In the meantime, are the 5 kittens all latching and nursing well?
All the babies are active, very loud and suckling. One is tiny so making sure she's latching on enough without being interrupted by her siblings wanting that teat.

I will take your advice. Maybe it is still shrinking, so that's handy to know it can take a bit. Our other girl was back to slim straight away- this is both their first litters. Both mums are being amazing and attentive.

I read 24 hours between is the max gap between which is why I've been panicking as as of 30mins ago it's been 24hrs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No need to panic! As long as mom is acting fine just relax and see what happens.

Do you plan to spay your moms after these litters wean?

Sphynxlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you mate her? If so, how many days was she with the stud?
She mated with him for approx 3 days. And a lot!! They were at it multiple times a day. Randy pair. After that, not again. He is trying to mate with one of our other girls who's due in 4 weeks but stopping that every time I hear him (he's a loud lover / starter / romancer) as worried sick he'll get her pregnant again which could cause complications when hers are born and newer fertile ones coming out prem or staying in and infecting. Hate telling him no and her as it's instinct I know but too risky. Separate them sometimes for time out and tire them out with play.

Sphynxlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No need to panic! As long as mom is acting fine just relax and see what happens.

Do you plan to spay your moms after these litters wean?
Thank you for reassuring me Sarthur2. No, we are hobby breeders, it's a family thing. Didn't set out to be and follow I the family footsteps but our female daughter and son are ped. When we got them (separately) and they became inseparable we decided to see what would happen and keep the babies... but when I got our twin girls (I'm addicted to the breed it's official) it's grown from there. My husband thinks me mad how doting I am to them, but they're my kids.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please don't let your Romeo guy mate with the already pregnant gals. Like you said, it can cause big problems. In fact, multiple matings over 24 hours is plenty! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an experienced breeder to mentor you? You'll have to figure out a way to keep the male separated from the females most of the time---if you let them breed freely that will result in some pretty unhealthy females (unspayed feral females don't live long :(). And you'll have to figure out how many litters you'll get from each female before she gets spayed. An experienced breeder can help you sort all that out. We want all breeders to be responsible! :D

Many human women stay large for a while after the baby is born. I'm sure cats aren't all that different. But if she hasn't slimmed down in a week or so it's worth calling the vet about.