Queen not caring for kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gwendolyndark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: kits are doing great! We have eyes opening and still steadily gaining weight. Dorian, the other, is getting used to us and has been playing with the others!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
That is excellent! :hugs:

Glad that Dorian is doing better and getting adjusted, what a cutie he/she is.

Good to hear that things are going smoothly :)

gwendolyndark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's like everything is going weird. Co-worker had a 4 day old kitten that the queen refused to nurse and the other ones died but she survived and mittens, our queen, has accepted her and nurses her. Everything checks out and so we have ended up having another little baby, white!

gwendolyndark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like I'm becoming a regular cat wrangler hahaha what do I do with them all?! We already have six inside and maybe are thinking of keeping the white one if it survives (crossing fingers and watching closely). Our humane society is overfull so they may not even take them :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should try to find homes for some of them yourselves when they are old enough. Try schools, churches, community centers, Facebook sharing, friends of friends, etc. Where there is a will there is usually a way.

You don't want to save them only to turn them over to a shelter to euthanize them because they are overrun with kittens. You also must be sure the homes they go to are good homes that will love them and care for them for life.

Not an easy job, but part of saving the cats we all love is rehoming them if we can't keep them.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Humane Societies and SPCA's are full, this doesn't necessarily mean that you can't foster them as the shelter's cats, meaning rescues and shelters run out of foster homes and become full, but as I do in my rescue group is allow people asking for help to sign up as what is called a self foster, meaning my rescue gets them vaccinated, dewormed, fixed, tested, chipped and posted on petfinders, adopt-a-pet, etc. We pay for this then once they are ready they bring to our adoption events on the weekends until they are adopted out.

We recover some of the cost put in to them from the adoption fees.

Shelters do the same thing, but rather than having to take them to adoptions will take posession of them when there is a crate available. Meanwhile they are posted for exposure.

This way they get everything they need for a great and healthy life, without it costing you a fortune!

So the key is asking them if they will take them but you agree to foster them until they can take them.

Last edited:

gwendolyndark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thats a good idea, i hadnt thought of that! i know our shelter is a no kill shelter, so I'll definitely ask them when they get older! we have a couple friends who want one each, too, so that helps. thank you!!!