Queen in Distress After Rehoming Kittens

nuttynlucy331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Female Lucy gave birth in the End of Feb 15 to 7 very healthy kittens! She is only a kitten herself she turns 1 this month 6-15. I took her in at the start of her pregnancy, Not knowing she was pregnant. When the kittens were about 6 weeks we brought in a orphan and she bonded instantly like she was part of the litter. Lucy took her right in and even breastfed her for a couple days! Now the Kittens have since been re-homed.We did the whole process slowly for her since after the first kitten being re-homed she was pretty frantic. So i let the first 1 go and waited another few days. It was a 3 week process re-homing them all. We kept 1 to make the transition easier on her, or at least thats what I thought. The last kitten of her litter (besides the one we kept) was re-homed close to 3 weeks ago now. The orphan stayed until memorial day weekend. My concern is besides the first kitten going, she no longer seemed to care after the other ones were re-homed. But now its been weeks since her other kittens have been gone and she didn't start looking for them until 4 days ago and when I say looking she is frantically searching for them. She is currently wait listed to be spayed for another couple of weeks, will that help get her out of this funk? She just went into heat today (No possible way for her to get outside, She is never near an open door or window ) could that be making her hormonal and causing her to be this way? She's always been a pretty eccentric girl. I just feel terrible watching her stalk thru every room looking for them. Sniffing their trail and going in the tote i used as her kittening box for the first few days after they were born (its cleaned out now but sure she knows that was the nest) Would it possibly be better for her to re-home the kitten we were going to keep as that may be triggering her to look for the others? I just can't bear to watch her act so sad and frazzled. And as i said i could understand if this was 3 weeks ago but why is it just starting now? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its a dilemma.  Usually they do miss their kittens, and mourn them.  Yet, you did everything right, had them with your a properly long time, let them get home in portions...

Did you let her see them kittens leaving?  Being fetched?   Surely unpleasant sight at this moment, but such helps them realize they are away, no point of seeking them.

The same advice btw wit other separations.  Both dying pals, and  wifes on mating visit to a stud - if they got good pals.

I agree with you, the hormone swallings may have an influence.

Also, cleaning out as well you can helps some.  Minimalizing the smell traces.  Smells reminding them..

I think you can try with a Feliway diffuser, and giving her as much sympathy you can.

How is she with the last kitten you kept for her for company??

Another idea, if she is such a good mom, and its acceptable for you, you can perhaps be foster family to other kittens  and OR shy cats...

Tx a lot for caring.

Good luck!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may have taken her awhile to realize the kittens were not just around the house somewhere, and the lack of kittens has driven her back into heat (this is why male lions will kill the cubs of another male if they defeat him in battle and take over his pride, to drive the females back into heat so he can mate with them.)  She will stop searching for babies when her heat goes into full swing.

I think it was wonderful that you let the babies go with some spacing in between, because in nature, that's what usually happens.  It is definitely heartbreaking to have a mama cat looking for babies all over the house.  I went through that only once, and after that I developed a new procedure, which was to take mama and babies all together to every "meet and greet" at a potential adopter's home.  Mom would check out the place, see it was safe and relax, and the kittens would play, and after awhile I would pack up mom and the kittens, minus the one who was staying (sometimes two) and mom WOULD notice there was one missing and she would definitely give me grief in the car by yelling at me -- "Hey stupid human, you FORGOT one.  Turn around.  One of the babies is still back there.  StoP!  GO BACK!"  But when we finally got home and I put her and the remaining babies back in their room, she resigned herself to the fact a baby was left at the other place, and she did not call or go looking for it.  It actually got easier every time.  I do think it helped that she knew where the baby was, and that it was safe and not lost.  I have done that for the last 20 years.  I never have a cat or kitten taken from my house.  I always take it to the new home, spend a little time while it adjusts, and then leave when it's no longer clingy, sort of like taking a little kid to kindergarten for the first time.  If nothing else, it makes ME feel better.

So no, do not give up the last kitten, she will be fine with it, and it will grow to be her friend and not her baby after awhile.  She still has to go through heat and being spayed and she will then change again, hopefully to a calmer and happier cat.