Queen had one kitten. He was born aug 2nd. Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
T twckittenmom

Walmart sells powdered PetAg. Royal Canin and GNC are good too. I hope you can find something at a pet store or Walmart.

Any chance you can pick up a digital kitchen scale at Walmart?

I really think you need to supplement him every 2 hours for now if you can.

I'm glad he's hanging in there! [emoji]128077[/emoji]
he learned to walk! Well like crawl walk. W.e we knows how to get to me. Lol I got raw goats milk hoping this helps. I switched to a syringe because he didn't seem to like the bottle. The rubber texture was what was annoying him not the milk

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nursing kittens rarely like the bottles.

Since he is so large, he is able to eat more at a time.  This could be why mom is not nursing as often.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he eating well from the syringe now? Does he like the raw goat's milk better?

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nursing kittens rarely like the bottles.

Since he is so large, he is able to eat more at a time.  This could be why mom is not nursing as often.
I was thinking this too but he definitely is rooting for food when picked up. He Search's my hands and arms for nipples

Is he eating well from the syringe now? Does he like the raw goat's milk better?
yes he likes the raw goats milk better but I think it's more of the fact he doesn't have to suck much

Last edited:

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he will be 3 weeks Tuesday. I still can't believe how big he is! He's really messy with the syringe. But he's drinking it. Hoping teeth come early so maybe I can start mush food but by the looks of his mouth he's not getting teeth any time soon. Apparently all his growth is just in size. I wonder if he will even out or end up being a very large cat?? Because seriously I have NEVER seen a kitten grow so fast.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T twckittenmom

How much does he weigh?

He still looks very much like a baby!

His milestones, such as getting teeth and weaning, will still come at the regular times.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing him in person, but he looks like he has big paws, so he may grow to be a big boy! However, my runt was tiny, yet had big paws. When he finally began to grow he became my largest cat.

He sure is a cutie! [emoji]128062[/emoji]

Last edited:

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
T twckittenmom

How much does he weigh?

He still looks very much like a baby!

His milestones, such as getting teeth and weaning, will still come at the regular times.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing him in person, but he looks like he has big paws, so he may grow to be a big boy! However, my runt was tiny, yet had big paws. When he finally began to grow he became my largest cat.

He sure is a cutie! [emoji]128062[/emoji]
still need to get a scale. But he's heavy. Atleast a lb. He's actually about to outgrow the runt from the other queens litter[emoji]128514[/emoji] he has learned to walk crawl he kind of runs to me. But he mainly face plants into anything soft and sleeps (I don't blame him I'd sleep to if I could) I'm buying a scale next week so I'll know his exact weight then. For now all I can say is you can't feel any bones and he's very squishy. Oh and he's been making his own body heat since 1 week old. Probably all the extra fluff. Let's hope syringe feeding gets less messy. Would full fat goats milk yogurt be okay to feed him? I'm trying to find a way to help him get more in his mouth than he drools out.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T twckittenmom

He's precious!

You can mix full fat yogurt into his milk. You can also mix plain Gerber rice cereal into his milk. I used the cereal and my kittens loved it! Gets more bulk and nutrients into their belly!

For that matter, you can mix Gerber turkey baby food into his milk to make a slurry. I also did this.

Just feed carefully so he doesn't choke!

Last edited:

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
T twckittenmom

He's precious!

You can mix full fat yogurt into his milk. You can also mix plain Gerber rice cereal into his milk. I used the cereal and my kittens loved it! Gets more bulk and nutrients into their belly!

For that matter, you can mix Gerber turkey baby food into his milk to make a slurry. I also did this.

Just feed carefully so he doesn't choke!
Ty those are good ideas. And yes I feed him very slow. Hopefully the thicker formula mixture stays in his mouth long enough for him to swallow it. Ty for the ideas

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Lil guy on wet food now. Husband fed him some of his fish filet the otherday(my husband spoils this cat even though I've told him not to get attached he's not staying lol) but I've noticed he doesn't startle from loud noises like the vacuum. Or blow dryer. He runs from the vacuum cause it lights up and is big but if he doesn't see it he doesn't. I've whistled and snapped my fingers behind his head ect ect. I'm starting to think he is deaf. I only say this because I had my blow dryer on high and it's very loud all my cats run. he walked right up not even concerned by it and started chewing on the wiggly cord and swatting at my wet hair. Which is super bizarre behavior to me. Even puppies run. How do I test if he's deaf?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you already have tested him with the vacuum and blow dryer, and whistling and snapping your fingers. He sounds deaf to me.

When rehoming, you need to make it clear that he's deaf. He will need to never go outside, and not live with other animals that might pounce on him when he can't hear them.

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he is truly deaf we might end up keeping him. He's only 5 or 6 weeks I believe now. A big guy though. I was reading how tumors could cause rapid growth and deafnesd so if he does have one I'd rather him stay with me. I'm saving up to have him checked out. But he's very playful and wouldn't even know he was deaf. I just thought I was so odd he came to me while I was blow drying my hair. It was actually nice because usually sit by myself for about 45 mins drying my long hair lol. But if we do adopt him out I'm defiantly finding a perfect Home.he can't go to just anyone

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where can o fond info on caring for a deaf cat. Husband tested my theory last night and screamed really loud while he was sleeping. Everyone ran and he was still passed out asleep. A few loud claps behind him. And he agreed he's defiantly deaf. But I don't know-how to train a deaf cat. I always used the loud squeal noise for training during the teething playful biting stage. Me just removing my hand he thinks I'm playing and chases it or me when I pull away. Also getting his attention.I've started hand waiving in his line of vision. But that's only because I have a deaf friend and that's how I was taught to get her attention in highschool. So far it seems to work

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T twckittenmom

Aww, that's wonderful! Sounds like hubby is attached to him already!

Here's an article you might find interesting:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-deaf-cat

As far as biting, just take your hand away, scruff him gently for a moment, and walk away. Most kittens outgrow this stage eventually anyway.

I think you'll find ways to improvise for communication as you go along that work for him and you guys! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited: