Quality Of Feral Lives Free Vs Indoors?

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am really hearing too many ppl that are either lazy, or just care less re the health & welfare of ferals say, leave them alone, they like their freedom. They add, I will restrict them & make them miserable by trapping & making a pet of them.

Also, saying I will confine them vs their will, make them depressed (a no kill cat shelter even says, they do not do well in captivity & often die soon after). This is distressing info & opinions from folks that I would think were far more caring.
Anyone comment? I WILL catch our feral & hope he adjusts but these stories really upset me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm sorry this is happening to you, and in my opinion you're right, these people really should keep their mouths shut.

There are numerous threads on this site where ferals have successfully been brought inside, and very often are so much happier at being in a safe environment that they literally don't want to go back outside.

(a no kill cat shelter even says, they do not do well in captivity & often die soon after).
in situations where something like this does occur, it is likely due to an untreated illness.

Hang in there! :vibes::heartshape:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am really hearing too many ppl that are either lazy, or just care less re the health & welfare of ferals say, leave them alone, they like their freedom. They add, I will restrict them & make them miserable by trapping & making a pet of them.

Also, saying I will confine them vs their will, make them depressed (a no kill cat shelter even says, they do not do well in captivity & often die soon after). This is distressing info & opinions from folks that I would think were far more caring.
Anyone comment? I WILL catch our feral & hope he adjusts but these stories really upset me.
Please don't listen to people like that. Ferals can and are socialized all the time. This requires lots of time, patience and above all, love. Many ferals can become house cats. The idea that they "have" to be outside is a myth. Many ferals, once they become accustomed to being in a safe environment where they don't have to sleep with one eye open because of predators, having guaranteed meals and someone to care for them do not want to go back out where they have none of this. Sadly, most ferals do not live long lives, especially intact toms. Their lives more often than not are short and violent. Females don't have it much better.

Some people who take in former ferals have catios or enclosed areas where their cats can go outside in a controlled environment to give them the best of both worlds. I don't know your situation or if you're able to do this but if you are, it's something to consider.

This is one of my very favorite threads on this site. Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

Our Norachan Norachan has a fantastic setup for her cats, most of whom were feral. The thread is proof positive that not only can ferals be socialized, they can come together from many different backgrounds to become a family. The fact that they have an amazing caregiver with the most kindhearted, patient hubby on earth doesn't hurt.

I hope you do bring him in. Please let us help you once you do. You will not regret it and he definitely won't. His life out there is not all fun and games. Not by a long shot. Thank you for caring about him. He's lucky to have a friend like you. Many shelters and rescues will loan you a trap if you need one.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! Look, not everyone is going to agree about this but I can share my personal, real life, experience. Over 100 cats in my care were feral or abandoned. Most feral and some older ferals included as well as kittens. I worked to gain their trust, brought them on, spayed/neutered and socialized every single one of them. They are all alive and well. Most socjalized well enough to be adopted! I still have those diagnosed with any illness and the older ones. Any that did not find excellent homes, have a loving home here. I work with other feral rescuers and feral protection groups and we all rescue when we can provide a good home. They do not die from being rescued. Out of the last colony of 103 none of the cats died or even remained terrified. I did rescue one very sick kitty with severe anemia and other health issues that I could now save after many vet visits but he was ill because of being outside in an area that exposed him to ticks, fleas, mosquitos, FIV, fear, hunger, predators and human abuse. Outside cats struggle for every minute of survival and live shortened life spans.

The idea that ferals cannot be socialized is now being recognized as a false impression. Education is needed to enlighten. In some cases shelters cannot provide for so many cats and have to leave ferals outside. Money for resources is slim. They have to put resources towards the cats surrendered by owners who cannot keep them or can not properly care for them. Because of that and old ideas about cats the myth of ferals being better off outside misinformation is spread.

I would be happy to provide you with photographs to show you that the kitties are well adjusted and even ,”lap cats” at this point. Not all ferals will immediately adjust or behave as lap cats but they will be far better off with love and care than if left to struggle for survival. Intended ferals face predators, starvation, inclement weather, disease, infighting, injury, the health strain from constant breeding, accidents, automobiles and human abuse. I have seen every one of these things myself which is why I got involved in rescues. I now work with my county to obtain animals rights and protection. I am also working with rescue groups in many areas. The world is becoming aware of the facts. Try not to blame those who are not aware. Instead, educate them.

If you need more information to back this up you can find a huge amount here on this site and there are many National groups who focus on this very subject. I would be glad to give you the names of these groups if you want more even info to back up your position on this.

You go! Follow your own instincts with cats. You are a kitty hero! :clap2::goldstar:
And don’t let those who do not understand upset you. There are plenty of people who are standing beside you in your efforts and have walked in your shoes. :cheerleader:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some cats who are very very wild. It may be that a few of them would not be able to adjust to indoor life. Not a lot though. Most ferals can at least adjust to living indoors, and most will even warm up to a few people. In my experience, former ferals don't usually become gregarious party cats, but they will choose some people they trust. If possible, I like to bring ferals indoors, but if it's not, TNR is acceptable too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick note to you all.

TY very much for backing me up on this. I know in MY heart it is THE best doing to save ferals. I am going to save Blackie, no matter. He has been fed by me over 2 yrs almost, so he knows me & trusts me. The 2 females tagging along have have had at least 1 litter & possibly, can't tell from a distance, if the other may be pregnant now.

Either way there will be help removing all of them to shelters. I can handle him longterm, & he needs handling as he is the male tom, he is their leader. Thanks for supporting all the cats you all do help too. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
(a no kill cat shelter even says, they do not do well in captivity & often die soon after)
No no no, that's not true at all!

I guess if you take a completely wild feral cat that has had no human interaction at all and lock him in a cage the stress might eventually kill him. But you're talking about a cat that you've been feeding and interacting with for a few years, am I right?

Most of my cats were feral born. One of them had lived as a feral tom for years before I met him. It took a while, but I managed to get him neutered and coaxed him indoors. He lived out the rest of his days very happily as an indoor/enclosure cat. He grew to love being petted and brushed.

He's not with us any more, but he got on very well with the rest of my rescued feral cats and lived to the grand old age of 15.

Gin2a.jpg
Group3.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TNR is absolutely acceptable. In some cases a colony is just too large to do anything else or is in a protected spot where they get good care. There are feral colonies that I have been offering support to for a very long time. There are volunteers who TNR, feed them and trap for any further needed vet care. There are shelters provided for them too. TNR is crucial for any feral that cannot be provided anything more.
From what we have discussed though, your feral knows you well and it sounds like he will be an excellent candidate for indoor life. Just be sure to get him checked out by the vet before any exposure to Tuxie. I’m glad the others will be getting help too.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very difficult to socialize a true feral cat over the age of one year to be content to live indoors only. Sometimes the kindest course of action is to TNR-- trap, neuter, and release back outside, caring for the cat by providing food and outdoor shelter. This is in fact the recommendation of Alley Cats Internatonal. Sometimes the stress inflicted upon a feral cat by forcing it to adjust to indoor life is just not fair to the cat. I believe each cat has the right and dignity to choose how to live its life, unless it is FIV positive and could infect other cats, in which case it should not be allowed to wander outside. I do believe that confing a true feral cat in either a crate in one's home, or in an animal shelter, inflicts extreme mental stress on the cat.

The bottom line is that each cat is different. One true feral cat I cared for, who was already a mature adult when I met him, remained outside his entire life. I provided a warm heated shelter on my porch, food, and medical treatment when necessary. He lived life on his terms and was content. I am currently caring for a formerly semi feral cat who started to come inside my house for several hours a day since last Winter. However, I allow her back outside when she wants to return outside. If I do not allow her back out, she becomes agitated and will jump on my resident cats. My block is very safe and she has several human friends who also care for her. I have 3 formerly feral cats I took in when they were kittens 10 months and under, and they are completely socialized to being indoor only cats. I have another cat who used to be an outdoor cat who I will take out for walks on a harness and lead like a dog, but will not allow him to roam outside. So each cat is different, and we get to know their needs over time and must delicately balance their desires and dignity as independent creatures with our own needs and desires for them.

It's always worth the effort to try to socialize a feral cat to being indoors. However, if the cat is still scaling the walls and crying to get out after a few weeks, I personally believe the cat should be released back outside and cared for as either an indoor and outdoor cat, or an outdoor cat. There are many feral cats and many feral cat communities where these cats live a happy and long life.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure was a true feral cat of 5 years old. She would eat the food I started feeding her last year and now she's constantly snuggling up and wanting to be pet. Haven't brought her inside yet as Mom objects but I think she would be a happy indoor cat.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Msaimee & Moonstone, TY for this info. :)

My 2 worries are; our 10 yrs owned stray we took into this apt back in '09, & the fact that she has BP issues & also is very territorial. If she sees another cat from our front apt porch, she charges them into the courtyard. So though she can run up outside the stairs, as we watch her daily mornings for awhile, I worry her & the big feral male (even after he's fixed) won't get along or will stress her alot living w/ him.

2nd is him, & how he'll be confined indoors forever after, as we plan to move across USA into new apt later in summer. The move alone is stress for our cat let alone w/ him, or for him trying to be socialized & then too, changed to unfamiliar area. How he'll react indoors, who knows.

These are my ONLY concerns, haha, but you see how big they are. I agree that even tho I have a trust relation w/ him outdoors (morn & nite for 2 yrs feeding him raw food) he'l be isolated & too upset living in a 2 bed apt -- even if he has his own room to watch out window, etc. The fact he's a 3-4 yr old adult & feral, how can I socialize after so much free time alone in wild (or I should say, dumpy city apts & parking lots, backyds, etc.)?

Ok, TY again for adding to this thread & I have my hopes up but trying to be grounded should our vet, when he's trapped & evaluated/neutered, tell me he is not a good indoor or socializeable. She told me last time in w/ our cat's checkup, that she'd personally NOT do it to her & stress our girl cat. Her advice is important but I keep trying to defy the odds. Time will tell, I guess.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're moving, definitely take him with you. He's become dependent on you for food and care. You'll need to keep him confined inside your new place for at least a couple of weeks until he knows where he is so he doesn't run off trying to get back "home." Then he could become an indoor/outdoor cat.

From my experience, cats adjust to one another over time. They don't all become best buddies, but the learn to co-exist.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I beleive it is correct. But my sis & others here say I'm just his meal ticket. But he now stays under our 2 flr apt (Laying on a 1st flr unoccupied apt patio) & has 2 females tagging along & there are 4 kittens. It is mini feral colony.

I used to feed him thru a fence but cant anymore. So I morning & nite lower his raw RadCat food I have leftover in freezer daily & he comes & eats, licks himself & jumps back under our balcony to cool shade of underneath unoccupied apt. This is where female keeps her kittens & I think he is either guarding her & against other tom cats, or likes her & his kittens. No doubt they are his.

This sorta works but when i fed him up close earlier this yr prior to fence being repaired at our apts, I could almost touch him but I would open the broken wooden fence door & he laid there often not getting up , if not scared of me or running away. I'd respect him, & await his moving a few ft back, then I put bowl thru & down. He watched/look at me then come forward to bowl, sorta wary of me but obviously not scared alot.

Ok, I'm so new to ferals & w/ our indoor cat having BP/heart rate probs, I worry that the Amlodipine meds she uses for her BP will be offset by the stress of trying to socialize him inside. She's territorial & about 12 yrs old & has been ONLY cat for 10 yrs in this apt, since we caught her as a stray not a feral in '09.
Was told ferals won't meow but only yowl or gutteral call for their mates or females. Unsure of this as true?

So, the flight w/ 2 cats is upcoming eventually. We can delay our back east move for either the end of July, Aug or Sep, so I'm relaxed as long as he's out there because my indoor cat is healthier stress-wise w/ out him in here (so is my stress less, haha) but.. eventually I need face the issues as its super hot in triple digit AZ in summers.

My vet thinks I should not do it, as it'll stress our BP taking Amlodipine meds girl inside alot & raise her BP probs. I'm so torn as I love him alot after 2 yrs feeding raw RadCat (best fed feral in AZ, haha) to him daily morn & nite, but in no way want to hurt/stress her! We even thought of 2 apts -- a 1bd for my g/f & our girl cat & -- me & him in another 1bd apt in same complex. That is how nuts this issue has made me w/ cats/ferals & turned me into a crazy man. lol

Ok, TY for all this great input/ideas from alot of you cat veterans of ferals & how to deal w/ this w/out losing my mind. :)

More ?'s as I think of it, so please read all my posts to get a grasp of all I'm dealing with. Thanks.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our feral was never socialized because this was before anyone had any idea how to do it. But she was hurt when we found her and we kept her inside with our other cats. She became very close to one of them and got along with the others. She didn't want to be petted or picked up by us. It would take 40 minutes to catch her to put her in the carrier to move. HOWEVER she never once scratch or bit anyone while the chase was on. She lived with us for 12 years at which time she got anemia and the vet couldn't fix it.

Once I woke up to find her sitting on my chest. As soon as she noticed my eyes were open she dashed off.

She played with the other cats, ate and used the box. She purred and looked out the windows, slept on the beds and stayed at arm's length.

Now we know you can socialize ferals, yours will be no different from another cat when you're done.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
This cat that I call Treasure, was to my best guess totally feral when I first saw her last summer. Even though she came from a hoarding situation it is possible that the man left the door open and the cats wandered in and out; Treasure being one of them. She would run the distance of a 1/4 acre backyard in 2 seconds time if I even looked out the door. That was even up to 6 weeks ago. Then one day she just decided to trust me and ever since then she's been wanting her hugs, snuggles and pets. I assume she's at least 3 years old as her ear is tipped and they've been on their own raiding dumpsters for 6 months before TNR and release back in my area. Or it could be her personality but she is no kitten and I successfully domesticated/re domesticated her with time, patience and love. Even with the challenge of a yelling and disapproving mother.

Love to be pet.jpg

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course we are their meal tickets. That doesn't mean they don't come to trust and love us, and become dependent upon our care. Some feral cats never want humans to touch them, but express their love in different ways. My favorite cat that I've ever had, that I loved more than all the others, was an outdoor feral tomcat. We had a very close spiritual bond that's hard to describe. I never got to pet him until he passed away. We absolutely loved each other, but he didn't want to be touched. Sure I was his meal ticket, but he was a patient friend who sat very close to me on my porch when I was sad and always listened to me and didn't leave my side. I'm sure Chotu loves you.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, TY & I think he does in some way like me. He watches me intently as I lower his food basket & bowl down. He then, moves to it as soon as it is landed on the ground. He's unreal & adorable being an unfixed 3-4 yr old tomcat male. He has street smarts for sure, this why he survived this long here I bet. But I will muster the courage to trap him in July. I really hate doing it as it'll cause a riff between us but it is for HIS good not mine. Oh, his name is Blackie due to being a big black male tom. :)

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Msaimee & Moonstone, TY for this info. :)

My 2 worries are; our 10 yrs owned stray we took into this apt back in '09, & the fact that she has BP issues & also is very territorial. If she sees another cat from our front apt porch, she charges them into the courtyard. So though she can run up outside the stairs, as we watch her daily mornings for awhile, I worry her & the big feral male (even after he's fixed) won't get along or will stress her alot living w/ him.

2nd is him, & how he'll be confined indoors forever after, as we plan to move across USA into new apt later in summer. The move alone is stress for our cat let alone w/ him, or for him trying to be socialized & then too, changed to unfamiliar area. How he'll react indoors, who knows.

These are my ONLY concerns, haha, but you see how big they are. I agree that even tho I have a trust relation w/ him outdoors (morn & nite for 2 yrs feeding him raw food) he'l be isolated & too upset living in a 2 bed apt -- even if he has his own room to watch out window, etc. The fact he's a 3-4 yr old adult & feral, how can I socialize after so much free time alone in wild (or I should say, dumpy city apts & parking lots, backyds, etc.)?

Ok, TY again for adding to this thread & I have my hopes up but trying to be grounded should our vet, when he's trapped & evaluated/neutered, tell me he is not a good indoor or socializeable. She told me last time in w/ our cat's checkup, that she'd personally NOT do it to her & stress our girl cat. Her advice is important but I keep trying to defy the odds. Time will tell, I guess.
I am in 600 sf with a number of rescues. Years ago I cut most of the wood out of the door of my bedroom walk in closet and put chicken wire over the hole. Would have been less work to buy a screen door, but hindsight is 20/20. Anyway, when a new one/new ones come in, it it their "apartment" until they get acclimated. I clear most everything off the shelves because some feel safer being up high. One newbie even had her litter box and food and water up there for a while (after I realized she was peeing on my folded clothes.) I have things they can get under, and the clothes act as a "curtain" so they have privacy when they eat and use the box. And... everyone can get to know each other through the screen. Here are the most recent additions to the household, now out and about. 2019-05-12 20.18.52-1.jpg