Q about breeding purebreed females

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me, as an Old-Style Siamese Breed Preservationist, the goals are a little different - sparing the race is not something I think about as others have already spared it to the point where the healthy old bloodlines almost don't exist anymore.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spare the race, i..e. one individual shall not have too many descendants.
... assumes the breeder is not altering the offspring or is placing many breeding cats. The number of companion animal offspring (pets) a queen produces has no effect on the gene pool.

Many well known Siamese were bred until they no longer had eggs. The best Siamese bloodlines are the ones that show longevity in the pedigree. Djer-Kits Chinkaling Of Newton (featured in National Geographic and many other publications) produced litters until she was 14.

I have to agree that there is no hard rule and that the health of the Queen and the health of the offspring play a part in the decision making process.

Ticking off a bunch of rules is not the way to find a responsible, quality breeder. Talking to the breeder and visiting their home is the best way to judge. Take the time to learn about who you will be dealing with and how they care for their cats and kittens, Why they chose the lines they are breeding and what faults the breeder has seen in the kittens. As you have learned from this thread there can be extenuating circumstances that only that breeder can tell you about.