Putting unalterated male and female together

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got another cat last week who is an unaltered male. I have two female cats at the moment- one is spayed, the other is not (will be done this summer as I'm waiting until she's a bit older). The male is locked in the bedroom for now, as I DO NOT need my little baby getting pregnant. He is going in next week to be neutered, so will be able to come out in a bit, but I would like to start socializing them now so that when he is ready to come out, it won't be a big problem. At the moment, I am letting them see each other with the door open, but will not let them within 5 feet of each other. They seem to be getting used to each other, as there are almost no more hisses. I would like to start putting them together sometime next week(100% supervised) for very short periods of time to start getting them used to each other. Would this be ok, as I would not be taking my eyes off them when they are together (I'm talking about 10 minute periods, a few times a day while in the bedroom). What are your thoughts on this? I can't see it being a problem, because if I see him start to sniff her back end, I would be right there to seperate them, but maybe I am overlooking something? I know just waiting for a month is the best option, but I hate having him locked up in there, and when he's ready, I would like to be able to just let him out, instead of having to start the socialization process then, which would keep him locked up for longer.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Both of their safety is of the highest priority, and if everyone here believes it is a bad idea, then I will not do it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it should work, why not.  As long they are hissing and he is  not singing there is no danger!  Rofl

Nay, if you superwise the whole time they are together it should work.

Although, you want to let him out to them after the surgery. Hi will smell vet, his own smell will be somewhat altered to...  Possibly you must endure some new period of knowing each other.

But so it is.

Ah, observe he is fertile at least one week after the surgery, this I know for sure.  Perhaps even as long as 5-6 weeks as some says warningly.

So you must supervise afterwards too. At LEAST  two weeks.

I think this was supposed to be in the Feral and Stray section?

I shall ask a mod move, hope it is ok for you.

Good luck!    *vibes*

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat mating happens very quickly. If you take your eyes off of them for a second he can do it fast. Plus females who aren't in heat are likely to take offense to an intact male. . .personally I'd wait until at least a week after he's neutered for face-to-face interaction (but even then it would be supervised--as StefanZ said, males remain fertile for a while after neutering. Exactly how long isn't known for sure but they say 3 months for a human after a vasectomy). How old is he and how old is she?

Keep in mind that being near an intact male can bring a female into heat. . .so you're going to have an interesting time keeping them apart!

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My question is - why are you waiting to have your girl spayed?  How old is she?  If she is old enough to come into heat, she is old enough to be spayed.  And, every heat cycle increases the risk of pyrometria (sp) and other cysts and cancers.  Not only that, a female can be in heat and you not know it, there is a such thing as "silent heat".  My guess is, if he is smelling her back side and lingering and she is seeming to enjoy it, it is possible for them to mate and produce kittens.  Plus, unaltered male and females will sometimes do the deed if she is almost in heat or because the male just feels like it so he attacks the female. 

I would not have them interacting until AFTER he is altered.  That way, you don't end up with surprise kittens.  Why not see if you can squeeze her in at the same time?  Two birds, one stone!  Then she won't come into heat anymore and won't be spraying and driving you crazy!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's exactly right, your female's age is not mentioned, and if she is in her younger  teenager months (between approx 5-7 months for the first heat cycle) an unaltered male's presence can easily prompt her heat cycle. I would surely not risk it here, waiting is best.

I understand about you not wanting to keep him separate for another week, but if you spend a good amt. of time, etc. then it will come soon enough.

As for the period afterward, I know it takes 2-3 weeks for a newly altered male's urine to stop smelling strong, so I would bet it's about that long for him not to be fertile.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would NOT let them meet or see eachother. Period. :lol3: Absolutely not until the male OR the female is spayed. Even under supervision..... I would never risk it. You are also risking a potential "spraying" problem regardless if she is in heat or not. The male DOES know she is an unaltered female and he could potentially start spraying. NOPE - do not even let them meet through a crack in the door. Total separation is a must. Why is your female not spayed? Kittens can be spayed at two pounds or above. Good luck. :vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, about the waiting until she's older. . .there's really no reason to. There are no identified benefits to allowing a female cat to get older before she's spayed (there are possibly some benefits in dogs, but their reproductive systems are very different from those of cats). The surgery will be harder on her the older she gets, and every heat she has without getting pregnant raises her future chances for mammary gland cancer. Personally I wouldn't wait any longer. And it would make introductions a lot easier! You wouldn't have to worry at all about pregnancy because of course spaying would make her infertile right away.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would NOT let them meet or see eachother. Period. :lol3: Absolutely not until the male OR the female is spayed. Even under supervision..... I would never risk it. You are also risking a potential "spraying" problem regardless if she is in heat or not. The male DOES know she is an unaltered female and he could potentially start spraying. NOPE - do not even let them meet through a crack in the door. Total separation is a must. Why is your female not spayed? Kittens can be spayed at two pounds or above. Good luck. :vibes::vibes:
Yeah, about the waiting until she's older. . .there's really no reason to. There are no identified benefits to allowing a female cat to get older before she's spayed (there are possibly some benefits in dogs, but their reproductive systems are very different from those of cats). The surgery will be harder on her the older she gets, and every heat she has without getting pregnant raises her future chances for mammary gland cancer. Personally I wouldn't wait any longer. And it would make introductions a lot easier! You wouldn't have to worry at all about pregnancy because of course spaying would make her infertile right away.
:yeah:

I wouldn't let them near each other until several weeks after his neuter. And I wouldn't wait for her spay. Spaying can be done without any problems once they weigh 2 pounds. No reason to wait at all!!!!!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NOT let them meet or see eachother. Period.
Absolutely not until the male OR the female is spayed. Even under supervision..... I would never risk it. You are also risking a potential "spraying" problem regardless if she is in heat or not. The male DOES know she is an unaltered female and he could potentially start spraying. NOPE - do not even let them meet through a crack in the door. Total separation is a must. Why is your female not spayed? Kittens can be spayed at two pounds or above. Good luck.

I wouldn't let them near each other until several weeks after his neuter. And I wouldn't wait for her spay. Spaying can be done without any problems once they weigh 2 pounds. No reason to wait at all!!!!!
I strongly agree with all three of these posts.  I would not even attempt a supervised visit until the male is altered.  Spraying is a big possibility here and you don't want to get that started.  Best of luck and keep us posted on how this is going for you .  I know this is probably a difficult position for you but it is a temporary situation and will eventually work out. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After reading the informative replies, I have decided against letting them together until after he is neutered. I definately do not want him to start spraying, and hadn't even thought of that.

The male is 9 months old, and the female is 8. As for the female, she cannot be spayed until at least 1 yr old due to medical issues that the vet wants to make sure are stable before they put her under for surgery. We live in an apartment, so to get outside, she would have to get through 4 closed doors. Add to the fact that every animal in the building has to provide proof of spay/ neuter within a week of coming into the building (I have an excemption for the female) and the probablity of her having complications during surgery far outweighs the chance of her getting pregnant.

Thank you all for the good advice.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great you decided to follow everyone's advice.  A lot do not.  And wind up wishing they had later I'm sure!  As for the female, I understand about her being sickly, is it something do with being put under anethstesia?  Because they usually don't get over that.  Other than that, I would seek a 2nd opinion.  Sometimes, vets can be wrong or don't know cats.  But, if you trusts your vet as I do mine... Plus my own instincts and the fact I am in veterinary medicine classes... That speaks for itself.  Best of luck getting her strong enough to survive it.  And with your new addition!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, health problems are a whole different thing! No reason to wait for a healthy cat, though. Once you do think she's strong enough, try to find a vet who uses only inhalant anesthetic. It's easier on the system and is generally safer.

Since he's young I think you'll have less trouble. If he were older it would be harder to introduce them and it would take longer for the hormones to clear his system. So I predict it'll be pretty easy once he's neutered.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi :). Glad you are going to wait to let them meet until he is neutered. I would try to get that done asap. The longer you wait, the more mature he will become. He is getting to that age of maturing and hormones will kick in soon. I am sorry your female has some health related issues and can't undergo surgery...... Unspayed female will spray though :sigh: Maybe ask about the inhalant anesthetic Willowy suggested. Much luck with these two and keep us posted :hugs: :vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's being dropped off tomorrow evening for his neuter- wanted to get him in last week, but they were completely booked.

As for Sera, she was badly poisened when she was younger, It took her a while to bounce back, and for a while her liver was a bit messed up. It has finally stablized, but the vet wants to wait at least a few more months before checking it again. If all is good, she will be able to go under. We both decided that it was better to wait until we are sure she is healthy.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: Oh good news then about your little man. Let us know how he does .... :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

I am sorry to hear about Sera's poisoning. :sniffle: The poor baby... I hope she can fully recover :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: