Putting my cats on raw.. (Oh no, not another thread!)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, it appears that I have learned something today.  You can recycle plastic bags?????  The little ziploc kind?  I never knew that!  'course, that probably means you need to rinse any raw drippings out of them first, huh?  So then there's the age old dilemma, do I use extra water to rinse something to go into recycling, or just toss in in the trash? (I live in the desert, you know, where water is a precious commodity!)   Decisions, decisions.

BUT, way to go Cassie!!!! 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, it appears that I have learned something today.  You can recycle plastic bags?????  The little ziploc kind?  I never knew that!  'course, that probably means you need to rinse any raw drippings out of them first, huh?  So then there's the age old dilemma, do I use extra water to rinse something to go into recycling, or just toss in in the trash? (I live in the desert, you know, where water is a precious commodity!)   Decisions, decisions.

BUT, way to go Cassie!!!!  :high5:
A quick rinse is just fine if you want to recycle them. That is all I do. I just put them in a Jewel grocery bag that I keep in the garage near the bin. On recycling day, I just toss the Jewel bag containing the ziploc baggies into the bin. I do go through a TON of baggies so I feel better about recycling them. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie ate her bones tonight! 
  The pic is all that's left, lol. I watched her carefully. She had gotten chunks of the chicken and bones caught in her teeth, but she figured out to use her paws to remove them.

Monet had bone-less and a heart (gotta get more boneless chicken.. Costco anyone??)

I've also noticed increased energy in both cats. Monet in the morning after breakfast, and Cassie after dinner. They'd sprint around the apartment and I'd have to take out da Bird or they'd harass each other!

QUESTION: Is it normal to see more pee in the boxes? I see less poo, firm and smaller. But certainly increased pee.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, normal! Especially if they're eating less dry food?

What a great picture! This is going to be another one-for-the-record-really-short-transition-threads! :lol3: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So Monet likes any raw - but without bones. Cassie likes her chicken wings and lamb. I don't remember - have you tried pork yet?

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!  Welcome to raw.  I see you've already been trained on operation of the poop-o-meter--very good! 

For food storage, we use Take-alongs, those semi-disposable tupperware tubs.  The "25-oz" tub holds about 30 oz, or about 1.5 days worth of food for our 4 cats.  What I don't like about them is that we drop them sometimes, and if everything is frozen solid they crack. 

In my local raw group there are people who reuse ziplocs, either by tossing the empties straight back into the freezer, or doing a very cursory wash and then tossing them in the freezer.  It would take a lot of time and water and bleach to get them clean enough to store in the kitchen.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
no, no pork yet. What cut of pork? Pork chop OK?

Carmina, Indeed I have been trained in the poop.. lol!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any cut of pork. . .chops are good. But keep an eye on the sodium levels. A lot of pork cuts are marinated.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
not 100% Sure, but I sure was Cassie who threw up after dinner. Thankfully it was on tiled floor in the bathroom and a little in the litter box.

She had 1.5 beef NV Patties mixed with Soulistic chicken.

What do you guys suggest now?

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not 100% Sure, but I sure was Cassie who threw up after dinner. Thankfully it was on tiled floor in the bathroom and a little in the litter box.

I never had luck with beef.....:barf: :party3:
Depending where you bought NV, they will take it back..... Poor guys at Pets Supplies Plus.... Took a lot of NV from me :rolleyes:
Have you tried their rabbit? Usually a hit with the kids - you can exchange the beef for the rabbit..... :bigthumb:

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I used the last of the beef tonight. nothing to take back and it was a sampler pack. not much in there. Never had an issue before.

Maybe I should nix NV Beef off the list and see how it goes tomorrow with another flavor. can't remember if I picked up the rabbit flavor.. gotta look. if not, lamb then :)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yep - had the same problem over her with the NV Beef and the VN Venison. Lots of :barf: Although, those were intro'd in the beginning of our transition and I wonder IF their digestive systems were not ready to handle beef. I am not willing to try again though since I am having such luck with other brands and proteins now.

I really love, love Rad Cat, Hare Today and Nature's Menu. I have not had any barfing in months. Make sure you are giving the digestive enzymes and probiotics everyday :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used the last of the beef tonight. nothing to take back and it was a sampler pack. not much in there. Never had an issue before.

Maybe I should nix NV Beef off the list and see how it goes tomorrow with another flavor. can't remember if I picked up the rabbit flavor.. gotta look. if not, lamb then :)
The NV rabbit never caused a problem with my cats and they all loved it when I first offered it to them. I still use Nature's Variety - but only the Chicken (which is chicken and turkey) and the Organic Chicken (which is only organic chicken) and I also get the Rabbit once in awhile. I do pick out the bones in the medallions - my cats usually will spit them out anyway - but the bigger pieces I can feel when I smoosh the medallion around in the baggie, I take out. I tried the Lamb and they also have Duck now :D. BUT unfortunately my four fussies didn't like either. Walden and Wendall, my true carnies :rub:, love everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So they are my easy ones.

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ok, no more beef, lol. worth a shot ;)

I decided to take advantage of the RadCat sale with the 15% off first time buyer coupon code. Bought the lamb, chicken and turkey, all 24 oz each. I am sure at this point, the cats will like it. Worth a shot, right? if they love it enough, I'll go on auto buy with the 10% off next time

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally worth giving it a try!

And sometimes, when it comes to new proteins (like beef), if you introduce it slowly - just a little at a time, then slowly increasing it, they're able to keep it down. Nice if they like it and you want the additional protein available for rotation. :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, no more beef, lol. worth a shot ;)

I decided to take advantage of the RadCat sale with the 15% off first time buyer coupon code. Bought the lamb, chicken and turkey, all 24 oz each. I am sure at this point, the cats will like it. Worth a shot, right? if they love it enough, I'll go on auto buy with the 10% off next time
YAY!!!!!!!!!! You won't be sorry!!!!!!!!!! Carolina is the one who got me going on the RC. She shipped me some of hers when she went boneless FP. It saved my sanity :lol3: The chicken is not well liked except by Pipsqueak. He LOVES the RC chicken and turkey. He won't touch the Lamb - :rolleyes: The others love the Lamb and the Turkey. I can always count on a good raw meal with RC. I also have the auto order. The Simplify Life they have on line - really makes things simple. Only Natural Pet also has many great sales all the time. I am constantly getting emails. :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I guess I'm in the minority around here, because two of mine seem to really like (and tolerate) BEEF!   As a matter of fact, it's the only thing either is eating right now.  None of mine like chicken or turkey (even Radcat).  But, as I have previously written on my own thread, thank heavens for Radcat Lamb!  My third picky currently is only eating that.  I'm going to try to branch out though.  Thinking about going Frankenprey via Hare-Today

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
It's been 2 weeks since they started raw.. and I can say I noticed Monet's fur shinier than ever. It's hard to tell with Cassie since she's mostly white. I do feel their fur has become much softer too, especially Monet's who's always had more coarse fur.

Monet's Shiny Fur.

I've also noticed more energy between the two.. and perhaps more affection? I can't tell, but something's there, lol.

I got my first order of Rad Cat today. I am letting it defrost in the tub in the fridge so I can separate it tomorrow and let the cats try their first bite. Maybe the turkey tomorrow?

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OHHHHH LOOK at that sheen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need sunglasses :lol3: I just had a friend over the other day and she pet Pipsqueak and just about fell over. She said she has never felt such a soft cat and she also added "WOW - no hair all over the place while petting" :bigthumb: LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Can't wait to hear about the Rad Cat. My delivery comes in the morning :nod: :cross: It had better or else :wife: :bat: someone is going to get it over at ONP :flail: