Putting my aggressive kitty to sleep

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am really sorry for you, this must have been extremely difficult. I had a kitty that was vet-phobic and any non life threatening care was avoided due to the stress it caused. You have to make decisions based on what they can cope with even when they are extremely painful for you.  Take strength from knowing you are doing this out of love.   I will be thinking of you all over the next couple of days.   

I know at the start of your thread you asked about anything that might help calm your cat on the journey to your vet but don't know if you discussed this with them when you arranged Saturday's appointment?  My original vet used to give an oral sedative  for me to administer to snow leopard so she would be sedated before trying to put her in her carrier. (He used AZT in those days - it used to knock her out completely until we got to the vet then she'd start to shake again and open her eyes she was so frightened).  My current vets wouldn't do that as said oral sedation was too unpredictable, but I am sure it is worth asking for something if you haven't already. Feliway does help but when you have a cat that panics to this extent it is not likely to be sufficient to ease all of your anxieties. I also put a snug box with my cat's favourite blanket in the carrier now as find this also helps him feel calm when being transported.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.
Tonks is quite at home in her carrier with her favorite mat and blanket. She sleeps there a lot.
The vet gave me a dose of Alprazolam. The vet techs said they used to use Ace, but it just disabled the animals motor skills and didn't calm the animal or reduce fear, so now they use alprazolam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS - I tried Feliway in the past, and my kitty immediately started hissing when introduced to the room with the diffuser. I'm assuming since Feliway mimics the calming phermones of cats, Tonks thought there was another cat in the room. She definitely is an interesting kitty that has kept me on my toes!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you have something for her. (I always used to think I needed something as well and wished the vet could give human prescriptions too). 

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another idea for calming might be Bachs rescue remedy.  It is a homeopathic remedy that you can find in a natural wellness store.  It is meant for calming during/after traumatic experience.  It may even help after she's had an outburst as she seems to be disturbed for some time after she's experienced one.  We are so lucky to have a 'cat lady' at our local Finlandia pharmacy that is a wealth of knowledge for alternate medicines for cats.

monkey allison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey it is stressful . But what I've done have given a cat there own bedroom. He had a bed, tv and a window. Sounds like the kitty has had trauma
by another cat or a human to regress to this emotion. So maybe having her own space would help. Also give her plenty of toys and a high place to climb and sleep if she chooses. Good luck and remember there are two legged children we have to work with and not destroy. Adding, most animals do not like the vet. As we humans do not like going to the doctor

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have done all you can do, and are doing the right thing.  One thing you can take comfort in: she will not be suffering panic attacks any longer.  That's what gets me through the early days after saying goodbye to one of my cats.  Its so stressful watching them suffer - it can be relaxing to focus on the fact that her experience of terror and anxiety will be over.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I once had to have a cat put to sleep who had a similar problem which gradually took her over.  She had a genetic brain defect.  In the end, like you, I had vets from two separate clinics telling me it really was my only option and that my cat was living a wretched life.  It was a dreadful decision to make, but it was the right one.

So I do understand and will be thinking of you and Tonks on Saturday.