Putting My 16yo Down Tomorrow

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well for the second time I have found the perfect cat. The first was a female, Chloe. She died in 2000 at 8yrs of CHF. I tried to prolong her life and gave her the prescribed Cardizm which she HATED and mostly got smart and would either not eat what it was mixed in with or would drool while I was rubbing her throat to stop from swallowing. She died on Thanksgiving. Best female cat ever without getting into details.

It took some time, but in 2002 I bought Felix (best male kitty). Funny with him is that he was a last minute choice. I went to look at a gray kitten and right when I went to hand the lady the money out pops this little black fuzzball. I said ooo I'll take him!!! Well its been a GREAT 16yrs 3mo, but my boy is covered in mats, his breath died about 5yrs ago, but most sad is his labored breathing which I know oh so well. I've not seen him eat in about a week, all he does is try to sleep, and he does not make it to his box. About a month ago he was fine. Because of my past selfishness I watched my girl basically drowned in her own fluid because of her disease. I will not do that again. It's still no easier, and will be much worse as today goes on and into tomorrow. But it is better for him. One of the coolest things he use to do is you could lightly blow onto his nose and he would lick your lips. It made it look like he was giving you kisses. I want one more from him, but I don't want him to have to work for it so I doubt I will try. Have a wonderful day everyone, and to anyone else going through this good luck to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. You are in our thoughts and you are doing the right thing for your precious boy. Bless you both.
Well thank you. I created my account to celebrate his life. I think the more positive I can be the better it will be, but this is only a theory.

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this moment, it is hard, but it is life :grouphug: I have 5 cats and my eldest is 14 right now. He's healthy, but I know that the day will come at some point and I get literal panic attacks when I think about it as I have never had to let a pet go. It truly helps me to read posts like yours because they give me courage. You are a wonderful person and I can feel the emotion in the way you write, so I understand that even though it is very hard for you, you will do what's best for your baby. You gave him a wonderful life and he knows it. You are in my thoughts, hang in there :hugs:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry that Felix and you are coming to the end of a wonderful life together. Welcome to The Cat Site, and I look forward to hearing about what a wonderful soul Felix had and about all the love you two shared.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for sharing a bit of this remarkable cat's story with us. I am so sorry that your part in that story must come to an end, although I believe with all my heart that his will continue on. My heart with yours.

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this moment, it is hard, but it is life :grouphug: I have 5 cats and my eldest is 14 right now. He's healthy, but I know that the day will come at some point and I get literal panic attacks when I think about it as I have never had to let a pet go. It truly helps me to read posts like yours because they give me courage. You are a wonderful person and I can feel the emotion in the way you write, so I understand that even though it is very hard for you, you will do what's best for your baby. You gave him a wonderful life and he knows it. You are in my thoughts, hang in there :hugs:

I think what makes this hard is that at some point we have to put an expiration date on our pets that we love so much. The fact that we know exactly when they will be no more is hard. If they were able to choose their our route it would probably be much easier on us humans. Here at 4:16a EST I am up writing this.

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all. Good news; my wife and I had cry time with Felix yesterday and my wife gave him a can of wet food I bought months ago. He ate it up. It felt good to see him eat. He has been on feline KD since he was 8. That crap is expensive. Its my understanding that there is not much protein in that food because protein is what causes the stones he was getting. I don't really know that part, but what I do know is that it made his skin really sensitive which is why I could not really help with his mats. My wife and I met when Felix was 1yr 3mo old. So she has been there for most of it. He was a jealous boy when we met. She would come spend the night and Felix would pee on her overnight bag. LOL. As we got closer my wife insisted that he be "fixed" to which I agreed.

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At 10:13 Felix went to sleep peacefully. When we took him out of his caddy he was heaving. I felt so bad for him. I actually kinda snapped at my wife and told her to get away from him. I just knew he was in distress and needed air. She didn't know. I've posted a picture of him from just 4 months ago. Thanks for listening.

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so happy that Felix got his favorite food on his last full day with you. I know it was a bittersweet joy to watch him enjoy it. Thinking of you.

Lets just say he ate. He was on Feline KD medical food for 8yrs because of stones. I'm not sure if he really liked it or not. I didn't, that stuff was crazy expensive, and now I have a new bag sitting here. I will say up to that food he ate he had not eaten in over a week. NOTHING.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:bawling2: It's so hard, and I so feel for you and your wife. I've lost two precious kitties - one, Tawny, to FIP at age 15. I know it was my own fault for letting him go so long, but they really had a hard time finding a vein to euthanize him with because he was so dehydrated.

Gracie was diagnosed with cancer and she died at home at 12. It was only a day or two before that she was eating. I had to be away from home that week working, and on the last day I had to be away I left her that morning asking her to hang on. She just couldn't do it, I guess.

I cried while reading your posts - still am. :bawling:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beauty he was. I'm so sorry.
Surely your wife will understand your snapping at her a little was just high emotions. We've done it, I've gotten into it with mine over sick animals and it's just emotions running on high speed. We know it, we don't take it personally anymore.
Putting a time to that is one of the hardest things, I agree. Having them go at home is nicer, but it also gives you a second or two of very intense, very high pain because you don't know if they're in pain when they pass, and you know there's not a thing you can do to help them anymore...not a damned thing. And that leaves you feeling very helpless and very alone, even if you're with 20 people who feel the same way.

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh-oh-oh....one more because this is the one I really wanted to post in the first place.
:bawling2: It's so hard, and I so feel for you and your wife. I've lost two precious kitties - one, Tawny, to FIP at age 15. I know it was my own fault for letting him go so long, but they really had a hard time finding a vein to euthanize him with because he was so dehydrated.

Gracie was diagnosed with cancer and she died at home at 12. It was only a day or two before that she was eating. I had to be away from home that week working, and on the last day I had to be away I left her that morning asking her to hang on. She just couldn't do it, I guess.

I cried while reading your posts - still am. :bawling:

Its never easy. I still think about Chloe some 18yrs later. The thing about pets in general is they give. They don't care about politics, religion, race, and all that other stupid shit we human use to hate each other. They just love. I see you are/were a fellow Ohioan.

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beauty he was. I'm so sorry.
Surely your wife will understand your snapping at her a little was just high emotions. We've done it, I've gotten into it with mine over sick animals and it's just emotions running on high speed. We know it, we don't take it personally anymore.
Putting a time to that is one of the hardest things, I agree. Having them go at home is nicer, but it also gives you a second or two of very intense, very high pain because you don't know if they're in pain when they pass, and you know there's not a thing you can do to help them anymore...not a damned thing. And that leaves you feeling very helpless and very alone, even if you're with 20 people who feel the same way.

I suspect at some point we will laugh about it.

twintriode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so happy that Felix got his favorite food on his last full day with you. I know it was a bittersweet joy to watch him enjoy it. Thinking of you.

I really appreciate both of your kind notes.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He was gorgeous, and he had a wonderful life with you but is fine now, no more problems, just fine and he will be happy to see you again one day down the line and it will be a wonderful reunion.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, he is just fine now, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It' so hard when those precious furbabies have to leave us, they answer to a calling we will never understand, but they have to go..... I pray you can understand that you gave that sweet boy everything he wanted, a wonderful home for years, teh care he needed, and the love that wanted above all else. And when the pain of living became more than he could bear, you helped him by finding strength in your love to end that suffering.
He shared your life's journey for a little while, and now he must follow a new path. But this path will follow your own for eternity, until the day it crosses once more in the future. Remember that boy with fondness and joy. Not the sad end, it is as he would want, he would never want you to make his death more important than his life. He loves you too much for that. His life was so much more worthy and important. "Death cannot take that which never dies", and your love is forever.
He will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers, so send him thoughts of comfort and good memories, not the dark grief and mourning that is filling your life at the moment. He needs to know you are OK, that you will pass on the legacy of love he left you, that you will in this way keep his love alive.
Perhaps give a small donation to your local shelter, pay for the adoption of a cat that has been there a while to allow someone with little money but lots of love to adopt, and do it in your Felix's name. It will help you to feel a little better about things and make your precious little one proud.
My heart goes out to you, I know the pain of a broken heart and only those who have suffered can understand fully what this does to your soul. My condolences.......RIP beautiful ebony Felix. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!