Putting a cat with an arrhythmia into dental surgery

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have experience with having a cat who has had a heart arrhythmia sedated for something as invasive as having most of their teeth extracted? My cat is under going this kind of surgery on Monday and I am worried considering he had an arrhythmia last fall and sometimes it looks like he breaths fast. At the same time, his mouth is so inflamed he barely eats. I tried looking elsewhere online for data on cats with arrhythmias undergoing surgery but couldn't find much at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has your vet done some of the basic steps that are done before having any kind of surgery, even dental - full scale blood work, x-rays, as well as an EKG (echocardiogram), in your situation? Is your cat currently being treated for the arrythmia? The type of arrythmia involved might also make a difference in terms of being affected by anesthesia/sedation for dental extractions.
Heart Arrhythmias in Cats | FirstVet

I searched this site for similar scenarios and did not come up with any specific posts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has your vet done some of the basic steps that are done before having any kind of surgery, even dental - full scale blood work, x-rays, as well as an EKG (echocardiogram), in your situation? Is your cat currently being treated for the arrythmia? The type of arrythmia involved might also make a difference in terms of being affected by anesthesia/sedation for dental extractions.
Heart Arrhythmias in Cats | FirstVet

I searched this site for similar scenarios and did not come up with any specific posts.
Not in a year and nothing specifically heart related, just pre anesthesia blood work. They say his heart sounds good on listening, but they said that last year and he had the arrhythmia. His mouth looks bad too. This whole situation has me so stressed and worried.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't go through with the dental, you might consider getting him some serious pain medicine - cortisone injections once a month. What you describe for him is very painful. Abscesses and gum infections are similar to random electrical shocks. Sometimes antibotics help, but that doesn't usually remove the cause. Removing the teeth does. Again, if you aren't comfortable with the surgery, and I can see where you might not be, please ask the vet about pain medicine and expect to give it to him from here on. It can make a world of difference to the quality of his life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you don't go through with the dental, you might consider getting him some serious pain medicine - cortisone injections once a month. What you describe for him is very painful. Abscesses and gum infections are similar to random electrical shocks. Sometimes antibotics help, but that doesn't usually remove the cause. Removing the teeth does. Again, if you aren't comfortable with the surgery, and I can see where you might not be, please ask the vet about pain medicine and expect to give it to him from here on. It can make a world of difference to the quality of his life.
Are those safe for an FIV+ cat?