Putting A Cat Down

imthebae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so we've recently had to put one of our cats down due to cancer. And he was our first cat, we had two. 

And I was just wondering how we could help our second cat deal with and understand that our other cat is gone. 

I let him smell the shirt I wore since it had the scent of our first cat on it. And he's been running around the house looking for him. And it's just hard to see the confusion he has. 

Um, any comments or suggestions will help. 

Thank you. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's too late now, because what usually helps the most is to let the cat be with the cat who has died until they have absorbed it and said goodbye.  When I have had to put cats to sleep, I always bring them home and let them lie in state for the other cats to view and visit while I dig the grave.  A member here recently had a cat die at home and her other cat, who had not seen him gone yet, was acting strange and restless and unsettled.  I told her to let the cat who died just lie in state for awhile, and she did, and the living cat visited with him and watched him and calmed down.  The same thing was true when one of my daughter's cats died and she was about to take him outside to bury him.  I told her wait, to let the other cat see him before she took him away.  The other cat climbed right in the box with him and stayed for awhile!  I have also had cats hang out near the grave on a regular basis for a week or so after a cat has been buried.  The last time I didn't let my cats see a departed cat, it was because dogs had dug into the yard and killed him.  The cats who went outside knew because they had all been running for their lives, but his best buddy, who does not go outside, waited day after day by the door, waiting and watching for him to come in.  It broke my heart.  Eventually he stopped waiting and looking for his friend, and yours will too.  Until then, watching him will probably break your heart too.  I'm sorry for your loss.  Just talk to your remaining cat and tell him, maybe tell him the story of the Rainbow Bridge.  Cats may not understand words but they understand intentions, and they understand more than we know.  It can't hurt.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. I agree.  Its important to let the remaining see the other being taken away, taken into the carrier etc.   So the same advice with all "divorces" - selling a kitten,  having a visiting wife to ones stud, etc...

If nothing else, it helps them not to seek as much.

Now? Give love and  warm company. Talk much, croone much, sing if you can.   Be sure the remaining eats and drinks as it shall. You may perhaps need to entice it.  This is double important if the remaining is fatty.   The fats ones dont manage to starve, goes hard on their liver.   Its not that dangerous on the more slimmed ones.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hello, so we've recently had to put one of our cats down due to cancer. And he was our first cat, we had two. 

And I was just wondering how we could help our second cat deal with and understand that our other cat is gone. 

I let him smell the shirt I wore since it had the scent of our first cat on it. And he's been running around the house looking for him. And it's just hard to see the confusion he has. 

Thank you. 
I'm very sorry for your loss. I do agree that it's best to let them see their friend before the burial or whatever will be done but since that isn't possible now, the best thing that you can do is be there for him. give him extra love and attention and talk to him. I firmly believe that they understand far more than most people (not US of course) give them credit for. Gently tell him what happened. Let him know that while is friend is no longer here in body, he will always be with him in spirit and is safe and well over at the bridge waiting for the day when they will be reunited. He will be OK in time. They grieve too. Give him extra love and comfort and remind him that while his friend had to go, you are still there for him and you love him very much. 

The Cat Goddess watches over all of her babies whether living or at the bridge. Don't be surprised if a new friend for the cat you still have "mysteriously" shows up looking for a home whether at your doorstep or you cross paths at a time when you were least expecting it. She works in mysterious ways and She is ALWAYS right. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I'm very sorry for your loss. I do agree that it's best to let them see their friend before the burial or whatever will be done but since that isn't possible now, the best thing that you can do is be there for him. give him extra love and attention and talk to him. I firmly believe that they understand far more than most people (not US of course) give them credit for. Gently tell him what happened. Let him know that while is friend is no longer here in body, he will always be with him in spirit and is safe and well over at the bridge waiting for the day when they will be reunited. He will be OK in time. They grieve too. Give him extra love and comfort and remind him that while his friend had to go, you are still there for him and you love him very much. 

The Cat Goddess watches over all of her babies whether living or at the bridge. Don't be surprised if a new friend for the cat you still have "mysteriously" shows up looking for a home whether at your doorstep or you cross paths at a time when you were least expecting it. She works in mysterious ways and She is ALWAYS right. 
Yes, this, with subvariations, does happens more often than sheer  coincidence. I too have noticed this.

One main subvariation is a cat / kitten born roughly at that time or shortly after when the late one went on...

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes weeks for the one left behind to accept the fact of a loved one leaving. It is heartbreaking to watch but the only thing to do is to give extra attention and love. I'm so sorry for your loss, you are all grieving the loss of a family member and must cling together. It takes a long time to heal the hole in your heart and it always leaves a scar. I'll pray for you all to find peace and acceptance, may your loved one rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge upon the warm laps of the angels, bless you for loving him so much.

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you. 
I am so sorry for your loss. My wife and I had to do the same thing for the same reason.(The Calico on the left in my profile pic) I wish I had read the responses here earlier. Our cat is also looking around the house and comes running to the door when we come home. We just give him lots of attention and grooming with a brush. I'm retired and home all day so he has me to keep him company. My advice? Give your kitty attention and make sure it eats and drinks as it should. Give lots of reassuring conversation.

Last edited: