Purse size?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Am I the only one that can't function if I use a small purse? :lol3: I lasted three weeks with this one before I had to switch for a bigger one. Wine bottle included to show approximate size. ;)

I had to use a smaller wallet that wouldn't fit everything, couldn't fit my eyeglass case in, etc. Last month I bought another purse that's even smaller. Why do I do this? :dk:

One of my friends always refers to my bags as suitcases, but I'm not that bad. she doesn't use a purse and only carries a tiny wallet. :eek: I would never survive! :lol3:

What size purse do you prefer?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same club.  The bigger the better.  

In the past 10 years I did away with my wallet all together and use the compartments to hold my money and Metrocard and make-up.

Because I commute into NYC I need a bag that will at least hold a letter size folder, shoes or a bag of groceries I may pick up on my way home. LOL

I just tossed two cute bags I thought would be nice, but after 10 years in my closet with never seeing the day of light off to Salvation Army they  went.

Right now I've been using a Markowsky leather bag for the past 9 years, the straps are so strong and it has all the necessary pouches I need to make me happy. It was pricey but well worth it.

I don't use bags that don't have a zipper... this invites pick pocketing on the subway. 

I have to say, I like your taste in bags.  It would be great if it was a few inches bigger for me though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't carried a purse for 40 years, I had mine stolen twice and said enough! I just carry money, drivers license, and credit card in my front pocket, that's all I need! 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I prefer smaller ones, but they never work out.  I'm on the search for a bigger one right now, especially we're going on a trip next week and I want to be able to carry my iPad in it on the plane with me.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks about right to me. I have a long commute like  @2Cats4everLoved  into NYC. My bag needs to be able to carry essentials plus, plus my Kindle and headphones.

I don't like carrying something too large but small is not an option.  I prefer cross-body type bags to keep myself hands free also. I prefer a satchel type but it winds up making my fingers numb.

I've been using one of my vintage Coach bags for at least a year now.  It's a saddle style, and while a bit heavy due to the leather quality, it suits my commuting needs.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've always carried a large purse and always a shoulder bag.  But the more walking I do the more it hurts my back and shoulder so I ditched the shoulder bag for a much smaller backpack purse.  I never thought I could do without the kitchen sink in my purse but now that I'm accustomed to the backpack purse I love it.  Funny how many personal items you can learn to do without. 

P.S. If I'm in an "iffy" neighborhood I hold the purse and don't use it as a backpack.  

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need a decent size purse.  I only like a small, cross-body style one if I'm going somewhere like a fair or something.  I carry too much but every time I try to weed things out it almost everything goes back in again.  I actually carry 2 wallets.  One full size and one small one that fits in my pocket and has the most important essentials.  I just upgraded that to one that is supposed to have RFID blocking.  I can't be without crayons, paper, and wet-wipes for the kids.  
  And then I need my own things. 
  The last time I went to a baby shower and they played the purse game (where you have a certain amount of time to find a list of things) I won the game by a long shot.  I even had a rock in my purse.  I think a few people were horrified at the state of my purse.... 

My purse has to be able to go on my shoulder.  It has to have compartments to separate things.  It needs zipper closures so it's not easy for stuff to be snatched out.  

I hate buying purses.  I need a new one soon.  But as picky as I am; and expensive as they are....I hate it. 

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a check size wallet for everyday use. Only take a purse when I need something smaller than a diaper bag for my son :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I probably should have stated up front that I have purse "issues". These are just some of them -

I also like one that my Ipad can fit into. I've been going with my mother to a lot of doctor's appointments and I like to have the Ipad with me, especially at the eye doctor's where we have to wait for her eyes to dilate.

betsygee betsygee I bought a new "vacation" one last year. It fits my Ipad, camera, etc. I've had good luck at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for them.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 purses and one Jansport attache case to my name. That's it. As long as the purse is large enough for my wallet, my phone, a hair brush, some mints, my keys, and either my iPad or my Nook, I'm good to go.

You've all seen my attache case; I took some pictures of it when the clasp broke. Jansport repaired it for nothing. I carry the case most often because of having all my work stuff inside and it's easy to just sling it on my shoulder. 

I don't really like to carry a purse all that much. 

What I really need is something that's large enough to carry all my walking stuff back and forth to work and yet still be light enough that I can throw it over my shoulder. It's not too bad in the summer (just shorts, socks, t-shirt, and sneakers), but in the summer, well, it can get really heavy what with all the clothing I wear to walk in snow and wind. I need something that is durable, too, as I break the zippers easily.

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also like one that my Ipad can fit into. I've been going with my mother to a lot of doctor's appointments and I like to have the Ipad with me, especially at the eye doctor's where we have to wait for her eyes to dilate.

@betsygee I bought a new "vacation" one last year. It fits my Ipad, camera, etc. I've had good luck at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for them.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaahahahahahahahahahhaahahhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That totally looked like my closet about 3 weeks ago.  I'm down to 1.  Although I do admit I looked today while browsing in the city for a cross the shoulder bag and the women's were terrible, I actually looked into the mens and they were pretty nice, cheap, rich looking and made really well.

Wow, your closet is the size of both my hubby's and mine put together. LOL  

I hear Ebay calling...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand big purses.  And I like a lot of pockets and organizing things, so it is very hard to find something I like.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be lost without a big shoulder bag (up to laptop case size), since I usually have my wallet, phone, keys, e-cigarette paraphernalia, Kindle, a hairbrush, cloth shopping bag, pens, note pad, and the like in mine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaahahahahahahahahahhaahahhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That totally looked like my closet about 3 weeks ago.  I'm down to 1.  Although I do admit I looked today while browsing in the city for a cross the shoulder bag and the women's were terrible, I actually looked into the mens and they were pretty nice, cheap, rich looking and made really well.

Wow, your closet is the size of both my hubby's and mine put together. LOL  

I hear Ebay calling...
One?????? :thud:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I had purses on the mind too much yesterday.  Last night I dreamed I was on a cruise ship, looking for my purse.  I ended up with three of them that people brought to me, thinking they were mine, but none of them were and I was all upset about my missing purse.  

I guess I'd better find one for my upcoming trip and put that issue to rest!  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I much prefer a larger shoulder bag.  I actually got a small purse once specifically to cut down on what I throw in a purse.  That didn't last long, I found it very frustrating.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I only use a tiny flat wallet for my money and CC. I have an elastic band that holds it all together. In the summer it's harder to carry stuff because I can't find good cargo shorts to carry the junk. I haven't used a purse in years. I had one that was clothe plaid type with big pockets for my tablet and notebook when I go to the State house. But normally whatever fits in my small front jeans pocket. I guess I am strange..not into the girly stuff. The bag never stays on my shoulder. Always rolls off and ticks me off so I gave up.

I like the closet-nice and organized..I still have bags of clothes to send on their way..but you know months later I will want to wear one of the shirts I got rid of or use the fabric for something....need a bigger house...but nope that will just get me in trouble...love the collection! nice purses but I don't carry one.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't carry a purse. I have a tiny flat wallet with card slots, and a slit in the middle for cash. I carry it in my back pocket. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3VN1SD/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

If I'm going somewhere that I'll need my tablet, or several bottles of water or something like that, I have a cross-body satchel I got on Amazon. I don't like to use a cross-body bag because it goes in between my breasts and makes them look even bigger and more awkward, but I have no patience for a bag sliding off my shoulder, plus I tend to set them down and leave them, so it has to be firmly attached somehow :D.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not carried a purse in 10 years. I just carry my credit card in my back pocked and put some money in my front pocket. 

Muffy