Purple around cats mouth

Zjaber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed today that there’s purple around my cats mouth area I would say lower lip or maybe chin. I searched it up online and everything looks way too serious so I wanted to know whether or not to believe it.
82631D5B-E857-435E-B0DC-BBE2289A9584.jpeg
77CF6277-FDC6-48DE-AB9B-1298C4F8254E.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that your cat didn't get into something that dyed its fur purple?

A long time ago, when I was a kid, we used to have a Miniature Schnauzer (dog) as our family pet.

One day, on Easter Morning, the dog came into the house after his morning constitutional with his mouth colored all red, green and blue. My mother was worried that something bad had happened to him. It turned out that the dog went around the yard and found every one of the Easter Eggs that she had hidden for us kids to find. He licked them until the food coloring came off and dyed his fur all psychedelic colors!

We didn't get to have an Easter Egg hunt that year but we all had a good laugh courtesy of the "Easter Schnauzer!" ;) ;) ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zjaber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
What material are you using for your cats water and food dishes and bowls?
What do you mean by material? Do you mean what I wash them with? He has his separate water bowl and wet foot dishes I wash them with dish soap

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You rinse them really well? But I actually meant what are they made of--any coloring that could come off? Does he go outside?

Zjaber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you sure that your cat didn't get into something that dyed its fur purple?

A long time ago, when I was a kid, we used to have a Miniature Schnauzer (dog) as our family pet.

One day, on Easter Morning, the dog came into the house after his morning constitutional with his mouth colored all red, green and blue. My mother was worried that something bad had happened to him. It turned out that the dog went around the yard and found every one of the Easter Eggs that she had hidden for us kids to find. He licked them until the food coloring came off and dyed his fur all psychedelic colors!

We didn't get to have an Easter Egg hunt that year but we all had a good laugh courtesy of the "Easter Schnauzer!" ;) ;) ;)
I thought so too at first, but nothing around him is purple or dyed. I dont if it’s an allergic reaction, but if so from what? He doesn’t seem bothered, but it’s very noticeable.

Zjaber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You rinse them really well? But I actually meant what are they made of--any coloring that could come off? Does he go outside?
Yes, I also wipe them. They’re made of hardened plastic, I don’t think that the color would come off otherwise his chin would’ve been pink. He does go outside though, he hasn’t gone out in 3 weeks.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could just be age pigmentation change or hormonal changes. How old is he? Has he had any health changes that you've noticed?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It so much looks like he dipped his mouth/chin into some grape jelly :)

You've tried to wash it off? Is he scratching or cleaning his face more?

Pee and poop normal?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is that what kitty chin acne looks like? Chin acne is usually caused by bacteria in food or water dishes. Plastic can hold bacteria, even when thoroughly washed. Glazed ceramic dishes are much better.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know if this is chin acne; it certainly could be something else. However, one of my cats had a huge case of it some time ago and it went beyond the black spots into real bleeding. I do use only glass or stainless steel bowls now, not even ceramic.

Zjaber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could just be age pigmentation change or hormonal changes. How old is he? Has he had any health changes that you've noticed?
He’s a year and 9 months. He doesn’t have any health changes, none from what I’ve witnessed. He used to throw up cause he doesn’t chew his dry food well, but he hasn’t done that in 2 months now.

Zjaber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It so much looks like he dipped his mouth/chin into some grape jelly :)

You've tried to wash it off? Is he scratching or cleaning his face more?

Pee and poop normal?
Pees and poops regularly even waits for me on the stairs to clean his potty for him 🙃. He refuses to let me touch his face he gets feisty but I’ve done it when he was sleeping. He doesn’t scratch his face nor is he cleaning more than usual.

Zjaber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if this is chin acne; it certainly could be something else. However, one of my cats had a huge case of it some time ago and it went beyond the black spots into real bleeding. I do use only glass or stainless steel bowls now, not even ceramic.
I don’t believe it’s chin acne because it looks nothing like it…

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It could be an allergy. It really does feel like it relates to feeding in some way. I would try changing the food bowls. It's amazing how much plastic bowls can create issues.