Purina VS Hills Science Diet

Skyjann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I am so excited to find this site. I have a 5 month old male kitten who I rescued from a bad situation and he very malnourished I am wondering if maybe I am feeding him to much and what to feed him? He is 5 months and 8.3 pounds. I feed him Purina Pro Plan Kitten which is one of what his doctor recommended and I thinking of switching to hills science diet kitten per he has digestion issues. I feed him one 3 oz can of wet food a day split into two portions each portion containing an added 1 tsp of pumpkin purée. Any thought of what I could be doing different/better! Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skyjann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot to add he always has dry food lol. He was 2 months when I got him .75 pounds

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are his digestive issues? Does he have diarrhea? I'm thinking so and thus the pumpkin.

It's really hard to say if you're feeding him too much or not. He does seem to have gained an awful lot of weight in the past three months, but some cat are naturally larger than others. Does your Vet think he's getting fat? What do you think? One thing I can tell you is that I had two male kittens of the same age and one was a pudge and the other was a stick. When they reached one year of age, the pudge was then four pounds over weight! Broke my heart that then he had to go on a diet, and ever since we've had to really watch what he eats. His brother is still very thin and we have to encourage him to eat to this day (they will be eleven years old next month) What I'm trying to say is that free feeding kittens, even though they say to let them eat all they want, CAN result in obesity, so it IS possible he's eating too much.

Back to the food. Once again it's really hard to say if it's the food causing his issues or what it might be. Some cats are more sensitive to food than others :sigh: But if it IS diarrhea, it's possible it's not even the food. It could be some sort of parasite that hasn't been diagnosed yet., especially since you rescued him from a bad situation. Has he been tested for worms and/or other parasites? Has your vet discussed the use of probiotics with you? Can you give us more information, and also give us the exact food you are feeding, including the wet? (are there more than one flavors of the kitten formulas? If so, which flavors are you feeding, or contemplating feeding?