Purina Pro Plan DM Cat Food- Diarrhea

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 17 year old Spookie was diagnosed with diabetes very recently, and the vet recommended Purina Pro Plan DM Cat Food. I bought the dry food and the wet food. I suspect the kibble is giving him the worst diarrhea imaginable. I think it's the kibble because my other cat Drexl snuck some of the food and he got diarrhea too. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with that food??

I took the food away today and will give him the Blue Wilderness my other cats eat. I will continue with the wet food and see if he still has problems, though I may just go back to Fancy Feast as I read diabetic cats have had good results.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not but it's good you aren't feeding DM anymore. It's junky and really doesn't do a thing to help diabetic cats. Have you joined the FelineDiabetes.com message board? You'll find a lot more help on managing the diabetes there. Diabetes isn't discussed much here on TCS.

Fancy Feast pates are fine. There's a list here: Wheat gluten free, low carbohydrate Wet Food There are other brands you can feed, too. Anything under 10% carbs is fine. Use the chart here: https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf The FelineDiabetes message board should also have a more updated list of suitable canned foods to feed. Dry food is not recommended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing these resources!! I really appreciate it. I've never had a cat with diabetes, so this is all new to me.