Purina Pro Plan Dental Plus (adult cat)

lizallen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has some tartar on her back teeth and my vet recommended feeding her with Purina Pro Plan Dental Plus dry food. Do any of you feed this to your cat? If so, do you give it to the cat as a complete meal or as an addition to wet food?

Ta very much in advance.

EDIT: Just to mention that I'm gradually introducing it into her regular food so as not to upset her stomach.

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but based on everything I have read your vet is wrong.     Dry food does not clean teeth.   

Most cats don’t consistently chew dry food; they swallow it whole. Obviously, without contacting the teeth, there is zero effect on tartar accumulation. For cats who do chew dry food, whether consistently or occasionally, there is still little or no benefit. The kibbles shatter, so contact between the kibble and the teeth occurs only at the tips of the teeth. This is certainly not enough to make a difference in the formation of tartar and plaque, which most commonly builds up along (and underneath) the gumline at the base of the teeth.

Read more here http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/does-dry-food-clean-the-teeth/ 

I recently began brushing my 2 kitties teeth.  Amazon, Chewy.com they all sell special toothpaste and brushes for cats.

tI can be easy or a hassle depending on your cat.   I have one who readily accepts the brush and toothpaste and the other who doesn't like it so much but I still manage to get some of the toothpaste in his mouth.  The toothpaste has enzymes in it that help with the buildup, etc.   If you do a search on this site you'll find some recommendations on toothpaste 

Here are some from Amazon.  I've been using the CET brand

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...d-keywords=cat+toothpaste&tag=&tag=thecatsite

Last edited:

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'm no expert but based on everything I have read your vet is wrong.     Dry food does not clean teeth.   

Most cats don’t consistently chew dry food; they swallow it whole. Obviously, without contacting the teeth, there is zero effect on tartar accumulation. For cats who do chew dry food, whether consistently or occasionally, there is still little or no benefit. The kibbles shatter, so contact between the kibble and the teeth occurs only at the tips of the teeth. This is certainly not enough to make a difference in the formation of tartar and plaque, which most commonly builds up along (and underneath) the gumline at the base of the teeth.

Read more here http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/does-dry-food-clean-the-teeth/ 

I recently began brushing my 2 kitties teeth.  Amazon, Chewy.com they all sell special toothpaste and brushes for cats.

tI can be easy or a hassle depending on your cat.   I have one who readily accepts the brush and toothpaste and the other who doesn't like it so much but I still manage to get some of the toothpaste in his mouth.  The toothpaste has enzymes in it that help with the buildup, etc.   If you do a search on this site you'll find some recommendations on toothpaste 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...d-keywords=cat+toothpaste&tag=&tag=thecatsite
You are exactly right.  This what my vet told me as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizallen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies and the links. Roxy doesn't seem overly taken with Purina so I'm going to continue mixing Go Cat kibble into her Whiskas wet food; besides, Go Cat kibble claims to include vitamin D for healthy teeth and bones. I'll certainly look into getting some of that toothpaste - thanks Lokhismom.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@LizAllen  I don't know about the ProPlan dental as not fed this one but it does state that the kibble is shaped to increase scraping of plaque when a cat is feeding.  This is how other dental foods work also:  the Hills Prescription is very large kibble with high fibre content which the cat has to crunch rather than swallow and it scrapes the teeth as they eat.  If your cat is developing, or considered at risk of developing, gum or dental problems these can be very severe and life threatening so it is wise to discuss thoroughly with you vet what prevention and maintenance options are best for your situation.  Yes, dry food is generally considered less beneficial for cats due to the need to increase their water intake and the higher carbohydrate content of these foods in general, but if your cat is at high risk of oral disease the health implications from this may be considerably more pressing than long term kidney care and weight control.

If you choose not to feed a dental care product, or wish to check if there might be a better one, it is worth checking with your vet what their concerns are, the relative health risks of using or not using the dental food, and if they have experience of the different varieties of dental food on the market.  Does your vet consider regular brushing is necessary on top of dental food for your cat, or would regular brushing with an enzyme paste mean that you could happily feed with different foods which you feel happier about.

For my cat's situation it involves both dental prescription dry food plus regular tooth brushing with an enzyme toothpaste, but to have a healthy cat not in pain is well worth the restricted feeding for me.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cat+toothpaste
[/quote]

I also use the CET brand toothpaste and brush with my kitty! I use the chicken/poultry flavor as she thinks she's getting a snack :) I let her lick a tiny amount first to let her know she's getting her teeth brushed, then when we're finished, I let her have another tiny amount as a reward. She gets pretty squirmy so I've had to make sure to be quick when brushing her teeth.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could almost write a total "ditto" to everything @Nora1 says! Except that I bought a CET kit with seafood flavor toothpaste: it has a tiny toothbrush with bristles and a finger brush. Both our cats love the toothpaste and think of it as a treat... I also let the cats lick the brush, attempt to get a few quick swipes in, and then let them have a little more. The biggest problem is that I sometimes forget about brushing, which causes setbacks: after only two days off, I had to start slowly again in getting them used to the brush. I only started on brushing a month or so ago so consider the progress we've made to be pretty good.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure how readily available the CET toothpaste LisaHE and Nora 1 use is here in the UK but Logic, which is the one I use with Mouse, is easy to get from vets, pet stores or on line.   Mouse too thinks it's a treat and after over 3 years  of his 'tooth time' routine still comes running to lick it off my finger or the toothbrush, and tolerates well the brush being rubbed around his gums and teeth about once a week now (used to be daily when he was younger).  It lasts ages because you use so little of it.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to throw in my two cents.  I agree that you should start brushing your cat's teeth.  My older cat needed a dental recently and it was soooo expensive!  I never knew how important it was to brush their teeth.  Anyways, I started brushing my cats' teeth and they're actually much more tolerant than I imagined.  Personally, it's actually easier to brush their teeth than to clip their claws. 

I also got a mouthwash for cats and they hate it.  You kind of have to squirt it into their mouths and the suddenness of it always shocks them.  I got it because I thought it would be easier, less invasive to administer but nope. 

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing missing from this subject is in regards to where dental decay actually comes from. And although many readily accept it is from plaque, some who have studied primitive culture like Dr. Weston Price lean more towards diet its ultimate influence of the health of teeth and resistance to decay. Many primitive peoples have perfect teeth with no decay. These people use little to no dental hygiene regimes. All our idead of dental health we place on our cats but rarely do we question those ideas. For this reason I am more concerned about feeding my cats a biologically appropriate diet than brushing their teeth. Btw, the carbs in that kibble are as good as sugar which is the polar opposite of what you might want for dental kitty health.

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To add- look up not only Dr. Weston Price and his study of teeth but also Pottengers Cat studies. Might help balance your vets opinion.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the food may have something to do with it as well.  This would be hard to figure out because feral cats lead short lives here.  I never brushed my cat's teeth because he was so intolerant to be handled.  Will do brushing when/if I get another cat.  I asked my vet about a product which could be added to their water.  She said it was not a good idea to add anything to their water because they may not drink it. 

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately they already are getting added stuff to their water like fluoride, chlorine, meds from people's urine.....if these products that you can add help at all why not try? The cat doesn't drink it you give them water without. Or maybe serve a whole mouse here and there? Either way I am finding it very beneficial to listen to your vet and then do research yourself.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@pocho  has a relevant point with there being things added to water already, and one thing to consider is that this varies depending on where you live in the world.  I chose not to use the stuff added to water as Mouse drinks a lot unlke most cats, and I wanted to know how much he was getting, and not too much of chemicals I didn't know about.    I also agree that listening to your vet and doing your own  research is good - that way you can talk things over with your vet and come to an informed choice about what you all do for your cat's best health.