Purina ONE Natural Blends Adult Cat

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use corn gluten over corn for digestabiltiy as it is More digestable than barley, oats, brown rice and potatos ... and it balences chicken ca and phos levels for those with UTI health concerns... I would avoid it so high up thou...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is pretty bad if Wellness is recommending that they up their price because of the neighborhood they are in. I buy pet food at a store that is in a fairly affluent area and is just down the road from a very affluent area. They charge $18 for a bag of the chicken and rice that is almost six pounds, I think it is 5lbs 14 oz. They charge $18 for the California Natural Chicken and Rice in an 8 lb bag. It's the only store that is fairly close and I don't have to fight a lot of traffic to get to that carries those two. I live in the other direction in a less affluent area.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By-products aren't a beneficial ingredient, no need for the corn glueten, or the whet glueten! Im not a fan of Purina at all! I do however understand your financial situationand hopefully you will get some good recommendations! Im broke as a joke and my cats eat better than I do (it be funny if it werent true)... They get Evo and Fleidae chicken and Rice... Oh and bottled spring water... Oh yeah and Kookamunga cat nip treats! No wonder Im poor

mellow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed nine lives, fancy feast, and Purina. And my cat is healthy. Even with the descriptive MollysMom gave. I do still not understand what’s wrong. Cats would eat animal fat and by-products naturally. Maybe not the wheat gluten and corm meal.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW...

Guys, vets recommend Science Diet, Purina, etc because they get PAID to do so. All of their (very little) nutritional training is sponsored by "pet food" companies such as Hills. They get HUGE bonuses for promoting foods. Think enough over the years to buy a nice new house.

I'm new here, but I do know my stuff when it comes to food--I learned the hard way. Joining a "dog forum" and reading about stuff there was the eye opener. I now feed my cats Innova EVO for cats. You can google it or PM me for a link if you're interested. I have also heard Felidae is a great food, it's made by the company that makes Canidae. You can also google this or PM me for a link. There are loads of GREAT kibbles for cats out there--you're just not going to find them in Petsmart or Petco, and usually not your vets office.

Here's a great link (yes, it's for dogs, but the nutritional info is the same--what, do you think pet food companies use different ingredients for cats and dogs? Usually not) www.dogfoodproject.com A lot of my info is from here.
Not that you can't get it elsewhere, such as the book "Foods Pets Die For," but it's a very convenient and informative site.

Chicken: It's nice that meat if the first ingredient. Not so nice that it negates the horror of the rest.

corn gluten meal: I know what corn gluten is, and it essentially has no redeeming values. It's a filler. Corn gluten meal.. not so sure, probably the same thing with 'meal' tacked onto it.

poultry by-product meal: AAFCO: Consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Chicken byproducts are much less expensive and less digestible than the chicken muscle meat. The ingredients of each batch can vary drastically in ingredients (heads, feet, bones etc.) as well as quality, thus the nutritional value is also not consistent. Don't forget that byproducts consist of any parts of the animal OTHER than meat. If there is any use for any part of the animal that brings more profit than selling it as "byproduct", rest assured it will appear in such a product rather than in the "byproduct" dumpster.

oat meal, brown rice, whole grain wheat: In themselves these ingredients are not so bad. For a cat.. a meat-eater.. some of these are known allergens and ought to not be a staple in their diet.

animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E): AAFCO: Obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. It consists predominantly of glyceride esters of fatty acids and contains no additions of free fatty acids. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the words "used as a preservative".

Note that the animal source is not specified and is not required to originate from "slaughtered" animals. The rendered animals can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.
Yes--euthanized animals ending up in pet food is not unheard of. Link: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/dfchart.htm

wheat gluten: AAFCO: The tough, viscid nitrogenous substance remaining when wheat is washed to remove the starch.

An inexpensive byproduct of human food processing with almost no nutritional value left, serves mostly as a binder.

natural flavor: Could be literally THOUSANDS of unspecified "natural" flavors. You don't know what's in it, and plenty of flavorings have proven harmful--so why feed it?

salt: Also listed as Sodium Chloride. A colorless or white crystalline solid, chiefly sodium chloride, used extensively in ground or granulated form as a food seasoning and preservative. May also appear in ingredient list as "Iodized Salt" (iodine supplement added), "Sea Salt" (as opposed to salt mined from underground deposits) or "Sodium Chloride" (chemical expression).

While salt is a necessary mineral, it is also generally present in sufficient quantities in the ingredients pet foods include. Just like for humans, too much sodium intake is unhealthy for animals. In poor quality foods it is often used in large amounts to add flavor and make the food more interesting.

L-Lysine monohydrochloride: It's an amino acid--I had to look it up. The protein is rich in meat and milk, but typically low in grains. Studies suggest that, in large dosages, it decreases the outbreaks of herpes (
) so it is sold as a health product. Your food obviously doesn't have anout meat in it if they're adding Lysine.

menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity) POISON.
Vitamin K3, synthetic vitamin K. Feed grade. Also listed as Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfate, Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

Unnecessary ingredient in dog food. This synthetic version of vitamin K has not been specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food. It has been linked to many serious health issues.

Please do not feed your pet anything with menadione in it. It has NO proven health benefits, and has proven to be very harmful, even in small dosages. Want to feed your pet something equally harmful? Stores sell rat poison, too... link: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione You'll also get plenty of info if you google it.

Note: I find it HIGHLY disturbing that salt comes before dried cranberries and "malted barley flour" in this food. As you must know, ingredients are listed by weight, and that's a lot of salt. Too much, IMO, no matter how little the amount of flour or cranberries. If salt is being added to a food it needs to be at the very bottom of the list and only because the food has so very little salt in it that it creates a defecit--in which case you shouldn't buy the food, anyhow, as it probably doesn't have any good ingredients.

If anyone else wants to post their ingredients, I can happily give them a mini-analysis like I did here. OR.. you can do it yourself through googling or www.dogfoodproject.com