Purina NF - So Disappointed!

jojorimmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh My Goodness I cant believe all of your posts ! I truely thought I was going out of my mind. I'm in Italy and EVEN HERE the NF is since about 4-5 months "different" and i hate it. Sammy and Doda loved the old version and now despite having the very same label it is like another food. I tried to expalin it to the shop AND to Purina on the phone but to no avail. I'm so dissappointed. At least I know now I'm not going nutty. The version I have here is pinker, more patè looking in texture, different smell and doesnt have all of the rice in it which helped with Sammy's bad constipation. I stopped giving it to him about 2 months ago and then reorded it from another shop and it is just the same. I'm really upset.

jo jo.

helen tomsett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
urate crystals grow in acidic urine, cd is used to treat struvite crystals that grow in alkaline urine by changing the urine ph to slightly acidic. why is your cat being offered cd in the 1st place???

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
urate crystals grow in acidic urine, cd is used to treat struvite crystals that grow in alkaline urine by changing the urine ph to slightly acidic. why is your cat being offered cd in the 1st place???
Hi, welcome to TCS! The c/d doesn't "treat" the crystals, c/d is not medicine, it is food, and not very good quality food at that. While it can keep the urine acidic, the dry is very bad for cats, of course dry food in general is bad for cats and it is counter-productive to feed a cat with urinary tract problems a dry diet.

Meat is naturally acidifying and a cat fed a wet diet high in meat proteins will most always keep an acidic urine. Some may need a little help, and a urine acidfier can help but should not be used without vet supervision, because the urine may become too acidic, which will cause the cat to form oxalate crystals.