Purina Hydra Care alternatives? Other short-term hydration tips?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a recent urinary blockage and catheterization, Willy was sent home with some Purina Hydra Care packets which I am supposed to give him twice a day to make sure he is well hydrated.

The problem is, he won't touch the stuff. It's liver-flavored, and he's never cared for any wet food with liver in it, so that's probably why.

My vet also said I could try mixing the stuff in his water, but it turns water into a gross-looking liver-sludge that Willy seems to find just as unappealing as I do. He won't drink any of it.

He's not drinking much water right now, nor is he eating any wet food. Normally he eats mostly wet with some dry, but I've been going through some dry-food-fixation spells with him, where he starts refusing wet, and he has chosen now to do so again -- when his hydration is extra-important.

I have ordered a new water fountain even though I gave them up in the past (I didn't find that he cared one way or another, and he would drink the same amount from a bowl; since a bowl is easier for me to clean, I stopped using fountains). It's been a couple of years since he's used a fountain, so maybe he will find one more interesting now, and drink more readily.

Other than trying to get him to eat more wet food, does anyone have any other tips for getting more fluids into him as soon as possible? Other products similar to Purina Hydra Care? I want to make sure his kidneys stay healthy and his urination remains problem-free.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mentioned getting a new fountain, I always sided with fountain usage...My cats drink more water flowing than standstill water and I find the fountain is easiest for me....I do feel water consumption is a big part of a cat's health...I only use store bought spring water in my fountain, this will help keep it clean longer, I got 4 using it and a gallon goes quite a ways, I only change the filter monthly.....Cleaning fountains is the only negative monthly chore I have, at least 20 min. worth, other than that just adding water daily. (1 to 1 1/2 cups a day)
Sorry can't help with getting fluid in him faster............

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi cmshap cmshap
You can also offer him low sodium chicken or beef broth and also tuna juice( from low sodium tuna in water)

Every one of my 5 love the broths,when they don't eat much of their wet food I give them some " Delectsble" broths as a treat also....

Give the broth a try ,,it's a good way to help them stay hydrated

Also,ice cubes in the water dish- might get his interest ,cats often enjoy the cubes in there and lick them ,prompting them to drink more

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have seen cats drink from very large carafes such as those which might be used for coffee or lemonade. It seems like an infinity pool to them and perks their interest. Will he drink out of a faucet? I know that is not the best solution, but some cats find faucets very appealing. I have two fountains in the house; the style allows for a long stream of water to flow into a basin, sort of like a fountain.

Lots of people have difficulty with HydraCare.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus will only drink from a people mug. So we gave him a people mug. He will not touch a fountain (we've had two and recently we've plugged one back in).

Will he have water added to his kibble?

Can you ask your vet if he can have thick water? It's for people. Worth a try. It's not liver flavoured 😂

Will he eat tube treats?

What happens if you put wet food down when he's hungry and then just leave for like an hour? Does he figure out you aren't there to give him dry and give in? Or is it a full on strike? (Nobel used to go on full strikes. 😔)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave several coffee cups or small bowls of water around the house. They see them, get curious, and go up to them checking them out. Then most of the time they will drink, just because it is different. Move the cups/bowls around to different places every day to make the cat curious once more! PS Delectable Lickables are a great source of water and cats love them. They are in the stew flavors (best) in the treat section.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave several coffee cups or small bowls of water around the house. They see them, get curious, and go up to them checking them out. Then most of the time they will drink, just because it is different. Move the cups/bowls around to different places every day to make the cat curious once more! PS Delectable Lickables are a great source of water and cats love them. They are in the stew flavors (best) in the treat section.
Mine love the Delectables ,both the stew & the bisques( Now Fancy Feast has them too- they are almost exactly the same).... Such a great treat!