Purina Cat Chow Gentle Sensitive Stomach and Skin

Theboyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been reading all of the news about Purina currently making many animals sick. I see that most cases of illness are from Purina Pro Plan, but there are reports of other types of Purina making pets sick as well.

My kitty has eaten Purina Cat Chow Gentle Sensitive Skin and Stomach for 13 years and refuses to eat anything else, not even wet or homecooked. There's nothing else I can offer him that he'll eat, but I'm nervous about all the illnesses being reported.

Does anyone else feed their cats Purina Cat Chow Gentle Sensitive Skin and Stomach? (It comes in a purple bag, not the Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach.) Have you had any food-related issues lately?

He's about finished with his large bag that was bought a few months ago. I'm worried about the new 3.5 pound bag I'm about to open as it was purchased in December, when many of the illnesses started. Has anyone fed their cats from the batch expiring May 2025?

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not but try something else if you can. A senior cat needs wet so try mixing the 2. Most cats love fancy feast classics. Purina has had many recalls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Theboyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We'd love to get him on wet but he hates it, turns his nose up and leaves the room without eating if we even put it down. We've tried every brand we can get our hands on and he isn't a fan of any of it.

We've tried to increase his water intake with fountains too and he's afraid of them. He even turns down meat baby food which our other cat loved.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When was his last examine including urinalysis and blood tests? Has he tried shredded,minced, sliced, and pate? My cat Peaches does not like tuna but loves nulo minced turkey duck. Maggie only likes weruva

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most of what I am seeing it’s affecting dogs who eat the pro plan sensitive skin. I did research after seeing it and it’s coming from a FB group called Saving Pets One @ A Time which is a holistic group as many of the foods they are recommending are Raw foods. Other vet groups are saying to be very leery of that group. As they spread fear so they can recommend raw feeding. As the only 2 articles that mention the issue with Purina both link that FB Group. I feed my cats Purina Pro Plan urinary wet food and Purina One+ urinary dry. Which luckily I haven’t seen anything bad about. But when I first saw it I freaked cause Hill’s didn’t agree with Scooter towards the end. Neither Casper(he doesn’t have any issues it’s just easier and stress free to feed them the same thing)or Scooter would touch Royal Canin. Plus both are very expensive even the OTC Hills was expensive. I don’t trust Blue Buffalo so if it was the urinary food my only option left would be IAMS which only comes in dry which defeats the purpose of preventing a UTI. But from what I am seeing it is mainly the dog food. What I also noticed is those who said something about the food purchased their foods online from Chewy, Amazon or etc. I’m thinking maybe it could be a storage issue or maybe a bad batch of food. I’m not sure but is no current recall for Purina the last recall for Purina Pro Plan was in February 2023 and it was dog food.

If you haven’t noticed anything wrong with your baby or there isn’t a recall from FDA & Purina I wouldn’t worry too much. When you open the new bag just monitor him for any changes.

Theboyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most of what I am seeing it’s affecting dogs who eat the pro plan sensitive skin. I did research after seeing it and it’s coming from a FB group called Saving Pets One @ A Time which is a holistic group as many of the foods they are recommending are Raw foods. Other vet groups are saying to be very leery of that group. As they spread fear so they can recommend raw feeding. As the only 2 articles that mention the issue with Purina both link that FB Group. I feed my cats Purina Pro Plan urinary wet food and Purina One+ urinary dry. Which luckily I haven’t seen anything bad about. But when I first saw it I freaked cause Hill’s didn’t agree with Scooter towards the end. Neither Casper(he doesn’t have any issues it’s just easier and stress free to feed them the same thing)or Scooter would touch Royal Canin. Plus both are very expensive even the OTC Hills was expensive. I don’t trust Blue Buffalo so if it was the urinary food my only option left would be IAMS which only comes in dry which defeats the purpose of preventing a UTI. But from what I am seeing it is mainly the dog food. What I also noticed is those who said something about the food purchased their foods online from Chewy, Amazon or etc. I’m thinking maybe it could be a storage issue or maybe a bad batch of food. I’m not sure but is no current recall for Purina the last recall for Purina Pro Plan was in February 2023 and it was dog food.

If you haven’t noticed anything wrong with your baby or there isn’t a recall from FDA & Purina I wouldn’t worry too much. When you open the new bag just monitor him for any changes.
Thank you, it's scary seeing all the horror stories popping up, especially alongside the list they've put out with the many Purina foods listed. He's already been unwell lately so I'm afraid of giving him compromised food. I just attempted to switch him to Hills but it didn't agree with him in the past and it's not treating him any better this time around. The Purina Gentle cat chow is the only food that he seems to do well on.

Attachments

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, it's scary seeing all the horror stories popping up, especially alongside the list they've put out with the many Purina foods listed. He's already been unwell lately so I'm afraid of giving him compromised food. I just attempted to switch him to Hills but it didn't agree with him in the past and it's not treating him any better this time around. The Purina Gentle cat chow is the only food that he seems to do well on.
It is indeed scary especially when in the US mainly any food you see is Purina brands. Yes there is IAMS & Blue Buffalo but many don’t trust Blue Buffalo. But mainly all foods you see is owned by Purina. Hill’s seems to not agree with some kitties. It definitely didn’t with Scooter soon as I went to Purina he hasn’t thrown up since except a few hair ball incidents. I am keeping a close eye just incase. But unless my furbabies start showing signs of being seriously ill or Purina issues a recall I am going to try not to worry. Although for me easier said than done cause of my ocd. I still hold belief though that everyone’s pets are different. While it may make one furbaby sick it may be perfectly fine for the other furbaby. It just depends on your furbaby. Best we can do is just watch our furbabies for any serious illness or changes and look for any recalls by Purina.

Here is a post from another vet group who is being flooded by the scare. Btw Judy Morgan’s is the vet in that FB group that is talking about Purina causing the scare. She is a holistic vet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Theboyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I wonder how many here are still feeding Purina without any issues?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
T Theboyboy I feed Purina dry food, as does my sister and most of my friends with no issues.

The internet will usually be skewed towards negative, as those happy and with no issues don't generally think to seek out and make a review or post.

If the food you've fed him is working just fine, don't fight it. Just let him eat what's working unless your vet says otherwise for him.

Each cat is different, so some cats won't be able to eat Purina. For example from a different brand, many cats do fine on Wellness but mine can't have it.

There is a HUGE push from many to move to boutique brands or raw because they are "healthier" and many do use scare tactics.

I always encourage people to make reports if a food makes their pet sick. But it doesn't necessarily mean the food IS the problem. We can't know if it truly is or not. 'Ive made reports to both Wellness, Friskies and Purina in the past. All took the reports, but only Friskies had an actual issue with the food (there was an active recall but for lot #s different than what I had. I'm unsure if the lot numbers were expanded after my report.) My vet further said that Friskies can be too high in sodium for cats with underlying conditions as it can exasperate the condition (depending). But Friskies wasn't the problem per say, it was just a problem for Lily.

Purina had had an issue with the size of kibble. They sent me a coupon for a free bag of food and I returned the bag I had.

Similarly, a gluten free noodle brand I like had an issue with their noodles. I had to call and report. They sent me a shipping label to send the product in. I did that and they sent me a big box of free products. They said they did testing, and I continued to buy their products again and haven't had an issue or made myself ill.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been reading all of the news about Purina currently making many animals sick. I see that most cases of illness are from Purina Pro Plan, but there are reports of other types of Purina making pets sick as well.

My kitty has eaten Purina Cat Chow Gentle Sensitive Skin and Stomach for 13 years and refuses to eat anything else, not even wet or homecooked. There's nothing else I can offer him that he'll eat, but I'm nervous about all the illnesses being reported.

Does anyone else feed their cats Purina Cat Chow Gentle Sensitive Skin and Stomach? (It comes in a purple bag, not the Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach.) Have you had any food-related issues lately?

He's about finished with his large bag that was bought a few months ago. I'm worried about the new 3.5 pound bag I'm about to open as it was purchased in December, when many of the illnesses started. Has anyone fed their cats from the batch expiring May 2025?
One of the dry foods I feed Pumpkin is this one. I've been trying to decide if I should cave in to pressure from his vet to get Royal Canin Fiber Response or keep feeding him this one.

Purina Gentle actually has more fiber than the other one.

The reason I am concerned about this is my Pumpkin has chronic constipation, which seems to be getting worse. His Miralax was just upped recently.