Purina canned odor

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have fed my cats fancy feast medley their entire life. Over the last year their poo started turning vanilla and was like frozen yogurt. FF has a formula change and every case I got had actual moldy meat. Lead to diarrhea bloody stools etc. I had some back stock of the old food and noticed the old food was also green! Not sure for how long that has been going on, can’t imagine long or I would have noticed. My cats are extremely picky and I have tried everything under the sun to switch them. I finally came across the Purina chicken and rice. They ate it and poo went back to normal. After about two weeks I started getting the cans with the heavy odors, the food looks darker / different and we are back to diarrhea. Soo if anyone can also recommend a food that is very similar in style to FF medley shredded tuna and salmon, they eat chicken too I’m desperate as I have nothing to feed my cats right now. I guess I’ll post this question in another post as well. Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of the canned foods seem to be going through ingredient/processing changes, so perhaps that has happened with the Purina chicken and rice now. But are you storing the cans some place where they might be going bad faster - such as in extreme heat? It just seems like a lot of the food you have gotten appears to be going bad. Maybe you are buying your food from a store that is not storing them correctly?

I don't know if this will help, but you can check out various food textures/ingredients in this chart to see what might come close to the FF medleys. The chart might be getting outdated, given all the more recent canned food changes, but it is at least a place to start.
Canned Cat food Spreadsheets | Flickr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That chart will be so helpful. I’ve been buying so many things randomly to try , it has cost a small fortune. thank you very much! I have got cans with the strong odor from three different store, chewys, PetSmart and a local mum and pops. I store all my food inside but it is very hot where i live, maybe manufacture shipping to store could play a part? I did call Purina and ask about the smell. This was before I received the last case that smelt like mildew. He told me a strong can smell could be bacteria and he would send me a free coupon for a free can lol. This food is very hard to find in store and I has just placed an order to be shipped to me for three cases that will be here Monday. Once it arrives if it has a smell I will call Purina back.