purebred vs moogies

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

For a long time i kept saying "MY NEXT CAT IS GOING TO BE AN EXOTIc PUREBRED" I went to a bengal cattery and realized that what i was looking for in a pet isnt really what they had. Dont get me wrong so many purebred cats out there are beautiful animals but i realized if i look its easy to find the perfect cat from a shelter as theres millions of them out there and it could just have the exact same traits as a purebred cat that i wanted.

But for dogs I want my next dot to be a dog that i can work in PP and shutzhund so i oviously wont be looking in shelters. I think for dogs its more finding the breed that suits our needs and what we want like for example someone with sheep or chickens would probably want a sheep guarding dog or someone who needs a good hunting dog would get a hound etc...

But for cats i find you can find everything u want in moogies what do you guys think?

I also find moogies more independant and easy to care for them lets say some of the high energy breeds like bengals siamese etc.. which can be a lot of work!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I see it, all cats are unique, whether they be specific breeds or not. Yes, with a reputable breeder, you get a well-adjusted cat with a specific look, but it's temperament/behavior can be hugely different from the breed standard's description, or follow it to a "t".

As for energy levels, it's fully possible to get a high-energy moggy who'll be just as much of a handful as a bengal or meezer, and equally as possible to get a lazy meezer or bengal.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

As for energy levels, it's fully possible to get a high-energy moggy who'll be just as much of a handful as a bengal or meezer, and equally as possible to get a lazy meezer or bengal.
Harley isn't a purebred - and he has just as much energy and a bengal or any other high energy cat!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the look of purebreds... but I was raised to adopt shelter kitties [and dogs - I love a good Mutt]. i know what kind of coloring I'd like to see in my next cat, but if i don't find her [dilute tortie], then C'est la Vie. Besides, right now, i'll be moving into an apartment complex that only allows two pets [at elast that's the impression I got - I can always ask] out in Portland. Someday I'll get my third kitty.

My belief has been that you don't choose the cat, the CAT chooses YOU. JoJo adopted me... I looked at the Meezer boy there [who already had three waiting to adopt him] as well as many others... but none of them really grabbed on [not physically...] like JoJo... although the Meezer was pawing up my leg... very friendly boy. She'd been there 5 months... she was waiting for the right person... ME! Now, she's my lovebug.

If it's a certain look or character traits, and if you have the $$$, then get a purebred... whatever your heart tells you. My heart doesn't just walk to shelterkitties... it runs. To me, they just seem to appreciate you and your home more... many times they've had a hard life... abandonment, etc. But that's how I see it.

Bah! Back to packing... ugh.

Amanda

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both one purebred, one farm cat and two ferals. they are equally wonderful in their own ways and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I agree that cats choose you not the other way around. They seem to know if you're the one they want or not.
I'd choose either one. I enjoy all animals. I feel lucky to have them.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll never own a purebred, period. I work in rescue and my allegiance is to the cats that are desperately seeking my help. I think moggies are wonderful...it's like a wild card or a box of chocolates, each one is different and unique on every level.

That being said, my moggies demand just as much of my attention as any other breed, they interact with me that much and they love me that much...not to mention that they're all gorgeous cats!

But I think all cats are gorgeous and special regardless of who their momma was!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love moggies too. I understand why people want purebreds or breed them (the responsible breeders who hang out here, anyway) but I also wouldn't have one because to me its wrong to buy an animal...
I wouldn't decide offhand that you can't find the dog you're looking for in a shelter. People who have purebreds can be just as terrible as people who don't, and dogs are abandoned even if they are a breed.

My only problem is when people think their purebred is "better" than a plain ol' tabby. Not that they like it better, or think its prettier, but that there is something inherently snottier about having an expensive cat. My friends neighbor moved in and he said "awww what a cute brown cat!" and the woman replied, it's not brown its a burmese (or something like that) and stormed inside.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing against purebreds or those who own/breed them, but I never could own one (unless it was rescue), especially after seeing so many beautiful, loving, deserving moggies come through our TNR/rescue group. I'm also determined never to choose a cat based on its looks, but adopt whichever one needs a home the most. I didn't choose any of my cats; they chose me, and I ended up with four of the most beautiful, sweet, funny creatures in the world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol i kno what you mean if met some peple that say "I will only get a persion and NOTHING ELSE!" lol To be honest though you can get moogies that look exactlly like certian purebreds for example get a long haired cat say its a NW FOrest cat whos gonna know the diff? LOL

OR a blue colored cat say its a russian blue ahhaha

or get a really nice pretty moogie say its a purebred "AMERICAN SHORTHAIR" or BRITISH shorthair

IF showing off is something someone wants to do they can even do it with moogies lol

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have both moggie & purebred cats & they are equally wonderful!

What I don't like is the how some people think that it's perfectly fine to buy a purebred dog & then look down on a person for buying a purebred cat. Why don't those people go an adopt a shelter pup instead of buying a Yorkie, Lab, Collie, Maltese, Poodle, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with anyone wanting a specific cat breed. The cat overpopulation problem wasn't created by breeding pedigree cats. It's because too many pet owners don't spay/neuter their pets. My purebreds came with a spay/neuter contract... I had to get them fixed whether I would have wanted to or not. I think that it should be the law that all pets must be spay/neutered unless you are a breeder. Then maybe one day all of the shelters would be empty.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My family has always had "rescue" kitties, otherwise known as cats not spayed having kittens-would you like one? or found kitties. I've adopted all my Felv+ babies from rescue groups, except for the first one, Jericho, that my ex found on a construction site. I've always loved how Siamese looked, and in getting Simon I have fallen in love with their purrsonalities, if I ever get out the leukemia business I would love to have a pair of Siamese kittens, but the cost is a deterrent, as well as the possibility of buying from a shady breeder. There are lots of Siamese in shelters and a few rescue groups geared specifically towards them, so in the future I would love to have more Meezers

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a mixture here. Three moggies, two from shelters, one feral who found us and thought she'd stay; and two purebreds. Lily we bought, Tolstoy is a rescue purebred who we took when the breeder asked if we would be able to offer him a home.

I think there is a difference between the rescues and Lily who came to us with no issues at all in that she is very well adjusted. However the rescues, and this includes Tolstoy all have certain issues due to the trauma or upset they have experienced in their lives.

All of our kitties are special in their own way. As another member said, our purebreds both came with a spay/neuter clause in their contracts. If those who owned the parents of Felicity, Tippy and Adelaide were responsible for many abandoned and traumatised kitties

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's wonderful to rescue a kitty. I've had a number of moggies in my life and loved them dearly and they each had a unique and wonderful personality.

My dream was to have a lilac or blue point Siamese. Bijou was that dream cat and then our daughter moved out, missed him so much she went to the breeder and got one of his sisters (Mika). Then she moved back home and we now have 2 dream cats. Neither is very high energy but both have an awesome disposition and temperament. These will probably be our last pedigree cats as I also want to be able to give a moggie a good home next time we are cat-free (which I hope will be a long, long time because we will be devastated when Bijou and Mika make that journey over the bridge).

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer moggies, there are so many that need homes! Sure, puerbreds are beautiful and I would consider rescuing one if I really HAD to have one, but my moggies are just as friendly, cute, etc as purebreds! (At least to me)

staciej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my friends who paid for a purebreed dog thinks it's wrong that I like Bengals
. She says that there are loads of kitties in the shelter, why not go grab one, feed it, and let it outside and I'd be none the wiser.

Although I like Bengals and many other purebreed cats, I wouldn't know of a place to find one in H-town and also theres that little price issue. Devin's moggie from the shelter, hidden away in the back room and he def. picked me, with his big paws and impatient meow. Heck, he still "comands" me/everyone he meets with his meow.

I understand that people like purebreeds and I understand why someone wouldnt get one.I think that our next cat (if we decide on adopting a cat in the future) will probably be a moggie from the shelter that picks us. I also think that when I decide on getting a dog that he'll be from the shelter, eventhough I would like to have a Corgi so I'll just look around for a resuce Corgi/Corgi mix.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacieJ

One of my friends who paid for a purebreed dog thinks it's wrong that I like Bengals
. She says that there are loads of kitties in the shelter, why not go grab one, feed it, and let it outside and I'd be none the wiser.

Although I like Bengals and many other purebreed cats, I wouldn't know of a place to find one in H-town and also theres that little price issue. Devin's moggie from the shelter, hidden away in the back room and he def. picked me, with his big paws and impatient meow. Heck, he still "comands" me/everyone he meets with his meow.

I understand that people like purebreeds and I understand why someone wouldnt get one.I think that our next cat (if we decide on adopting a cat in the future) will probably be a moggie from the shelter that picks us. I also think that when I decide on getting a dog that he'll be from the shelter, eventhough I would like to have a Corgi so I'll just look around for a resuce Corgi/Corgi mix.
By her own philosophy, she could've gotten a purebred dog from a rescue or a mutt from the pound that looked like her purebreed...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll probably never own a purebred, because i just can't afford one. but i love the look of many of them - bengals, japanese bobtails, singapuras, russian blues, american curls - just lovely! but i can't justify spending that kind of money on a cat, when i know that my moggie will give me just as much pleasure in the long run, without that large expense in the beginning. i've never owned anything else, & IMO all of my fur babies have been beautiful!

staciej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

By her own philosophy, she could've gotten a purebred dog from a rescue or a mutt from the pound that looked like her purebreed...
Yeah, my friend is not a cat person, she's pretty much on the philosophy that you can't breed cats for personalitly, only looks.
She thinks getting a purebreed dog is different because all the dogs have the exact same personalitly. I understand about breeds and personalitly (which is why I like the Corgi) but not every single golden retriever is a clone. I guess in her mind they are.

I never was a cat person untill I was with Devin for about a day.
JosÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] is the cat person, he always wanted a cat. I went to the shelter and came back with Devin.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacieJ

Yeah, my friend is not a cat person, she's pretty much on the philosophy that you can't breed cats for personalitly, only looks.
She thinks getting a purebreed dog is different because all the dogs have the exact same personalitly. I understand about breeds and personalitly (which is why I like the Corgi) but not every single golden retriever is a clone. I guess in her mind they are.

I never was a cat person untill I was with Devin for about a day.
JosÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] is the cat person, he always wanted a cat. I went to the shelter and came back with Devin.
I've always loved the look of cats, but never actually interacted with one until Pudge. Then I quickly learned that I loved MOST things about cats!
I've never had a dog, but would love to get a mediun-small one in the future.

Your friend is a bit silly in the notion of all dogs in a breed being the same. That made me imagine a bunch of puppies in "breed school".

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my cat can be a lazy cat or a spaz and she is a orange and white tabby and is a moggie but there are lots of purebreds in rescues so we can find purebreds in shelters I think it is simply best to pick a cat based on that particular cat regardless of the breed and of the looks but I would like to adopt a siamese one day and would love to adopt a rag doll and they have lots of them in shelters and in breed rescues because cats are like dogs in that they have fads for which breed is the in thing at the time and then when you realize that you either don't match that cat in livestyles or you want a new cat depending on the fad at that time then if that cat is lucky she or he becomes a rescue and if they are unlucky the results could be much worse that's why you should always get a cat based upon the needs of the cat and yourself and your family and always remember pets are a lifetime commitment