Purebred kitten? Or adopt a shelter kitten? Or adopt a shelter adult?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to agree w/ the shelter cat too, although I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong w/ wanting to have a purebred as well.

We recently adopted Bayley (11 months) from the shelter, and I get so much joy from knowing we brought him into a house full of love, compared to the life of sadness he had prior

Good luck w/ your decision!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I surely understand your dread of going through such a painful loss again. But purebred cats can have health problems, too, and when you consider that you have a chance here to save the life of a shelter kitty that would otherwise be put to death, I think it's worth the risk.

Our six cats are all shelter kitties (one a rescued feral), and we've been lucky with their health -- my Clyde almost died from pneumonia and pleural effusion when he was a baby, but as you can see below, he's grown up healthy and beautiful... and that was the only serious problem we've had.

I sympathize with the desire for a purebred. But the shelters overflow, especially at this time of year. And even if you do feel the need for a purebred, those too can be found at the shelter. Just the other day at the shelter where I volunteer, a woman tearfully surrendered a beautiful six-month-old Bengal girl because her son was allergic.

So yes, please do visit the shelters and see who you find, or who finds you. And you might think about fostering. If there's a no-kill shelter near you, you might ask if they would like to let you foster one or two of their older cats for awhile, to make room for mothers during kitten season. If you fall in love and decide to keep your fosters, that's wonderful! If not, you've still done a good deed, and they can go back to the shelter when space is available.

I dearly hope you find a wonderful companion or two who will be with you in good health for many, many years!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you what to do, but I can echo what others have said. There are always homes for kittens and purebreds, but adult cats in a shelter are really in the most need.

We adopted two adult cats from a rescue and they have been the best kitties ever (the only cat we've had that was better was a stray we found in an abandoned building)...they are wonderful, loving pets. I can't say that their personalities are that much different since bringing them home (Bella's still bossy, Stan's still a luvbug). They have had health issues from their past (Stan came from a cat hoarder, Bella was abandoned with several other pets in an empty house and nearly starved), but they are both doing much better now and they are the envy of all my cat owning friends.