Purebred 11 wk old Am Bulldog surrendered!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

The breeder didn't dump the dog off, the owner did, you can't assume that the owner even told the breeder. The people could have boughten the dog out of state, or the breeder could have moved or the owners were just to lazy to contact the breeder. Just because the breeder makes some one sign a contract stating their puppies come back if the owner can no longer keep it doesn't mean the owner will accually contact the breeder, I would not have any way of knowing if some one with one of my kittens decides they no longer want it and take it to the shelter, dumps it off, or finds another home, unless they contact me. I make sure they understand I will take my kittens (or cats) at any time, but I can't make them tell me if they do decide to get "rid" of it. I know people want some one to place blame on for all the unwanted pets out there but it isn't always the "breeders fault" it's the owners.
I'm not automatically assuming its a BYB, but if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck....You are right in that on the off-chance a well bred purebred could have ended up at a shelter. Its just unlikely. There are several indicators here. This just sounds typical BYB. Ie, Obviously these people weren't serious buyers and didn't have impeccable references.

This sounds like an impulse buy. Ethical breeders do not just let their pups go to anyone. There's a screening process involved. It doesn't make sense that these people would go through a rigourous screening process, take the pup home and then not only NOT take it back to the breeder (which in dog breeding circles is the only natural and ethical thing people know to do) but they drop it off at a shelter.
If they were serious and responsible people (don't worry, they aren't excused blame either), that had suffered some immediate tragedy that prevented them from taking this pup in, then obviously they would first contact the breeder. Ethical breeders would then pick the dog up or transport it (if out of state). Usually these breeders keep contact information on these people and many follow the offspring of their pairings all of the pup's lives...

So, to me...it's more than likely that both the breeder and the buyer are at fault here.

I am very glad also that the pup got adopted. Hopefully its a furrever home!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

I'm not automatically assuming its a BYB, but if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck....You are right in that on the off-chance a well bred purebred could have ended up at a shelter. Its just unlikely. There are several indicators here. This just sounds typical BYB. Ie, Obviously these people weren't serious buyers and didn't have impeccable references.

This sounds like an impulse buy. Ethical breeders do not just let their pups go to anyone. There's a screening process involved. It doesn't make sense that these people would go through a rigourous screening process, take the pup home and then not only NOT take it back to the breeder (which in dog breeding circles is the only natural and ethical thing people know to do) but they drop it off at a shelter.
If they were serious and responsible people (don't worry, they aren't excused blame either), that had suffered some immediate tragedy that prevented them from taking this pup in, then obviously they would first contact the breeder. Ethical breeders would then pick the dog up or transport it (if out of state). Usually these breeders keep contact information on these people and many follow the offspring of their pairings all of the pup's lives...

So, to me...it's more than likely that both the breeder and the buyer are at fault here.

I am very glad also that the pup got adopted. Hopefully its a furrever home!!!
I highly doubt there is a truly ethical breeders around here.

There are so many well-meaning people who breed, that simply cannot take the pups back, though. I know one guys who checks everything on his dogs & checks refernces on people, checks out their homes, etc. He lives in town though, & due to pet limits laws, he cannot take the pups back. He asks that they go to our humane society. He is not termed an ethical breeder, but he is a pretty darn good one!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the puppy offered back to the breeder???

As a breeder I'd be furious if one of my kittens ended up at the SPCA and they didn't even bother to call me

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Was the puppy offered back to the breeder???

As a breeder I'd be furious if one of my kittens ended up at the SPCA and they didn't even bother to call me
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I highly doubt there is a truly ethical breeders around here.

There are so many well-meaning people who breed, that simply cannot take the pups back, though. I know one guys who checks everything on his dogs & checks refernces on people, checks out their homes, etc. He lives in town though, & due to pet limits laws, he cannot take the pups back. He asks that they go to our humane society. He is not termed an ethical breeder, but he is a pretty darn good one!
These are the points I was making. The issue was on an owner surendering a puppy (in this case it happened to be pure bred) for being a puppy. I don't know how it always turns into a breeder issue when it's pure bred. If all she said was an 11 week old puppy was surendered for being too active it wouldn't be blamed on the person who gave the dog to the owner, it would just be "what an irresponsable twit". But, being a pure bred I know some times it's just assumed to be the breeders fault, and some want to get their digs in on breeders. This doesn't really have any thing to do with the dog being pure bred or breeders, but a person who dumped a puppy at a shelter for being too active. I could be wrong though.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

These are the points I was making. The issue was on an owner surendering a puppy (in this case it happened to be pure bred) for being a puppy. I don't know how it always turns into a breeder issue when it's pure bred. If all she said was an 11 week old puppy was surendered for being too active it wouldn't be blamed on the person who gave the dog to the owner, it would just be "what an irresponsable twit". But, being a pure bred I know some times it's just assumed to be the breeders fault, and some want to get their digs in on breeders. This doesn't really have any thing to do with the dog being pure bred or breeders, but a person who dumped a puppy at a shelter for being too active. I could be wrong though.
Exactly. The HS doesn't really know anything beyond the fact that poor Athena needed a good home & we could find her one. No questions asked about who the puppy came from or anything. We had the owner fill out a surrender form & give us vaccination records. He signed the paper & we didn't ask(well, we asked about info pertaining to tempermanent, etc.).

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As stated, I think that the idiots who surrendered the dog are just that...idiots.

And yes, I do have a problem with BYB'ers in general and this situation does reek of it (I don't have a problem with breeders as a whole obviously)
Being pure-bred doesn't mean well-bred. Anybody can be a breeder but not everyone can be a great breeder.

I was also only offering another angle that people may not have thought of...to contact the breeder first to place the puppy. If I were a breeder, I would want the shelter contacting me...and many shelters do pursue this.

And to me, this whole subject does have something to do with this puppy being a purebred. It means this puppy was intentionally bred not accidental and this is a huge thorn in my side....

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't thinking the breeder was a byb, I was wondering if anyone contacted them to let them know what was happening. That way, there's a possibility the breeder gets their dog back and the humane society has one less animal to take care of right then.
I check out the craigslist pet section a lot and if I see a purebred animal up "for adoption" I try to find the breeder to let them know. A lot of people will list the animal as "Georgia Peach St. Bernard" or something, thinking that GA Peach is a variety of the breed, not realizing its the name of the kennel or cattery. Then it's not too hard to find a contact at the place and let them know what's going on with their animal. So far most people are happy to learn about getting their animal back from someone who's violating their contract.
So that's all, I was just curious if the breeder was ever contacted.

~Julia

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

No questions asked..but you know who the breeder of the puppy is??
Nope. No idea who the breeder is. I just jumped to conclusions(I do that a lot).