Pure D-Mannose dosage

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Long story short, I need to add D-Mannose to Feeby's diet (recurring e-coli bacteria in her urine). The vet said he recommends 250 - 500 mgs per day. But, the D-Mannose I bought is listed in teaspoon portions. I am probably brain dead today due to researching Feeby's blood results (for totally separate reasons), but the best I can glean from this is that 1/2 tsp is close to 250 mgs. So, if I give it to her on the 'high' side, that would be 1 tsp a day??

Does this seem reasonable for those of you who might use D-Mannose? I am only going to give her a maintenance dose just to help keep her bladder cleared of excess e-coli. The brand, if that matters, is Wellness Partners, UTIPets, 100% Pure D-Mannose powder.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I came up with this ratio, 250 mgs equals .05 tsp
Half a teaspoon is .5, not .05. Would this graph help? Convert mg to tsp to mg, millgrams to teaspoons
I did come up with the same thing as you did, but thought I was doing something wrong. The vet says 250 - 500 mgs, but the label on the D-Mannose talks about a maintenance dose of 1/4 tsp which would be 1,250 mgs. That is what is throwing me - such a big difference. So, I thought some members who are using D-Mannose would have a clue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Found this on www.felinecrf.org -
"A commonly used dose is 250-500mg twice a day... With most (but not all) brands, a ¼ of a teaspoon of the powder is 500mg, so if you are giving 250-500mg, you would give ⅛-¼ teaspoon twice a day,..."

So, I don't know what it means by "most (but not all) brands" 1/4 tsp is 500 mg. Maybe referring to powder vs. liquid?? However, all of the D-Mannose brands/versions I have looked at are in powder form. My vet must have meant twice a day when he recommended 250-500mg. Oddly enough, nearly ALL of the D-Mannose brands I've seen far exceed the dose my vet (and the above excerpt from Tanya's web site) recommended. Kind of crazy.

But, I think I will stick with 1/8 tsp twice a day.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I take Wellness Partners D Mannose but buy the 500 mg capsules. I just opened one and got out my measuring spoons and one capsule fit (when poured out of the gelatin) very neatly in a 1/4 tsp measure. I would do the 1/8 tsp if I were you as you suggested.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't what you're asking for, but I've recently been fascinated by bacteriophages, which target the given bacteria only; there's even a product that has a patented mix of 4 bacteriophages that kills e.coli and e.coli only, which is fantastic given how harmful antibiotics can be since they target all bacteria rather than selected ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N97NGQV/?tag=thecatsite
and some studies in humans:

A bacteriophage cocktail targeting Escherichia coli reduces E. coli in simulated gut conditions, while preserving a non-targeted representative commensal normal microbiota

I'd talk to your vet about this but if he's not up to date with latest findings on bacteriophages, he/she might not be helpful :) This is relatively new thing. But if I had a cat with recurring e.coli infections, I'd read all there is about this and wouldn't hesitate to try this.