Pumpkin had 2 kittens and 6 days later had 4 more. Is this normal and how rare is it. All kittens are alive and healthy but the first 2 are bigger

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know how common it is, but it is possible for a cat to get pregnant by two different males at two different times - which is known as superfecundity. Being pregnant doesn't stop a cat's heat cycle - so, I suppose it is possible that your mama carried fetuses of different ages from different matings in different heat cycles, also referred to as superfetation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: Agree! Probably conceived later the same week. Not all that rare. You’re lucky the other four weren’t born 4 days earlier. They may have been premature and not survived.

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I’m in a similar situation. Willow has one kitten last Friday night then her contractions stopped. She still looks pregnant and we know from a sonogram from earlier on that there is at least one more.

Can I ask when she gave birth 6 days later did she nest again, make noise etc… or did she just start straight into the contractions? Just wanting to know what to look out for x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello
I’m in a similar situation. Willow has one kitten last Friday night then her contractions stopped. She still looks pregnant and we know from a sonogram from earlier on that there is at least one more.

Can I ask when she gave birth 6 days later did she nest again, make noise etc… or did she just start straight into the contractions? Just wanting to know what to look out for x
Minnyinla Minnyinla can you tell your experience please?