Puked ,should I feed?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In fear of overposting, I dare to post once again as a first time cat Mom.

Today my senior ran and hid for hours after she heard the vacuum cleaner for the first time.
When she came out of hiding, she had a little bit to eat, but threw it up not long after.
Now she is meowing at her placemat for food because it is dinnertime and there is no dish, only water.
Should I feed her or let her stomach settle overnight and give only water?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, most kitties don’t like vacuums. :) The vomiting may or may not be related to stress of the vacuum or it could be she ate too fast. I’d try giving her little food since she’s asking, waiting about 20 minutes to see how that goes, then giving her more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. I believe it happened at the shelter once, that I know of, after a shelter vet visit. However, with me (3 weeks) this is the first time and she is definitely mad at me for being connected with that vacuum cleaner. She is skittish when I try to touch her now.I guess time will have to heal everything.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't ever be fearful of overposting, i.e. that's how we learn as a first time cat parent. We're here for support, guidance and as much help as necessary. 🤗

I agree with the above members that since she only threw up a little bit it's okay to offer some food and if she keeps it down wait 15 - 20 minutes then try feeding a little more. Since she has been living with you for such a short time there's still a learning curve about her habits. Time and patience are the key ingredients. I'm sure you will make a wonderful cat mom. :catlove:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Today my senior ran and hid for hours after she heard the vacuum cleaner for the first time.
When she came out of hiding, she had a little bit to eat, but threw it up not long after.
Now she is meowing at her placemat for food because it is dinnertime and there is no dish, only water.
Should I feed her or let her stomach settle overnight and give only water?
When my cat eats she is bothered by the tiniest noise. If I make lunch while she's eating,very slowly put the plate down. So no vacuuming,opening cupboards,loading dishwasher,step quietly with slippers! Since you are unsure why she threw up and it's been hours since her last meal, small portions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she was afraid of the vacuum cleaner noise. SHe saw it standing in the corner last night and just stood guard staring at it for the longest time...Like "One move or peep from this thing and I RUN". She ate like a piggy this morning and drank so much water! I read an old post ,Maggie, where someone said in general tha cats don't get their water from drinking it, but from their wet food.. That's nuts! He should have seen my cat lapping it up this morning...