Puffing Of The Tail

Gatomons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So here's the scenario.
We are cat-sitting my sisters-in-law cat and we have a cat of our own.
My kitty has been leash trained and used to get along with any cat she'd come across.... then she hit puberty and ended up having two litters. She got spayed last month and has returned to what I remember as the perfect cat who listened, played nicely and loved being around everyone. However, she has yet been around any other cats yet until today. Before she hit puberty any cat she'd come across she'd sniff them and generally be okay with them being around(even if they'd hiss she wouldn't and kept laid back). I kept this good attitude up by visiting friends who also had cats so we'd arrange playdates. I'd also take her to the pet stores and always bring her around the cats up for adoption. This lasted for 8 months until she hit puberty. Afterwards as usual with females she started meowing and pacing and being cuddly. She got pregnant 3 months afterwards(after escaping from a collar, had to switch to a harness). & since people are nosy she got pregnant a second time because she ran out the door. Anyways I'm including all of this information in hopes that someone can help me out with her attitude. :(

Today I put her in the harness and slowly walked her up the steps with me to the bedroom where Oliver(sister-in-laws cat) is. When she saw Oliver she got startled. He had hissed and immediately ran underneath the crib. I yanked on her leash to pull her back because she was going to try to run after him(all while her tail was puffed up). Now here's the question... when a cat's tail gets puffy does that mean they'll always run and attack or what?

Did her heat cycles ruin what could have been a certified therapy cat?
Mind you she hates dogs and always gets nervous and hisses when they're around so I'd have to get her used to them somehow since there are service dogs all over this city.

Am I going to have to adopt a kitten and train them up? :(

I really wish I had spayed her sooner ugh!!!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but I thought that the poofed tail just meant the kitty was startled. It doesn't mean that their next action would be attack, they could also choose run and hide, or as Gohan does when our new cat Olive surprises him around the corner, zoom around the house in crazed manner but not near the cat that is causing the stress. I think it depends on personality.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my experience, a puffed tail doesn't necessarily mean a cat wants to attack. It's a way of making themselves look more intimidating to scare off potential attackers, so I think it's more defensive than offensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gatomons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@KarenKat & @Etarre Thank you both for your experience! I feel a bit more confident that I'll be able to train her to be around other kitties.

Also Olice is a troll lol.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it means she's scared and ready to defend herself. Nothing to worry about; just try to calm her down and reassure her. Kittens practice this, feinting, humping up like Halloween cats, bottle-brush tail, dancing sideways, hissing.