Public pooper

quinnderella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5-yr-old female, probably a Maine Coon mix, who has decided to only poop in the hallway outside her bathroom. She is a strictly indoor cat and I've never had litter training problems with her before. In fact, she used to be incredibly understanding if I forgot a day. She went to the vet in August and got a clean bill of health.

just 2 weeks after the vet visit, she started pooping in the hallway, right in front of the door leading to her littler box. I also noticed her urine smelled much stronger than before. Since then I have tried: getting a new litter box, providing her with 2 litter boxes, buying new litter, going back to her old litter, having a cover box, having an uncovered box, having a covered box with the door removed, cleaning her box twice a day, putting her poop back in the box to get the smell before cleaning it out again, using an enzyme to clean the hallway, placing a litter box in the hallway, and increasing her wet food intake to make sure her urine isn't to concentrated from dehydration. I don't know any more tricks to try!

To make things worse, now she's started peeing in the bathtub or on the bathmat. Up until this point she had consistently been peeing in her box, so I don't know what has changed. HELP!!

sherrycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, it does sound like you've tried every trick in the book! Has anything changed in your cat's environment, maybe something that you don't notice much, but might be a big deal to her? Any stressors? Any new visitors or other people in your life that she isn't used to?

By the way, that's nice your cat is normally so patient about the box-I had a cat as a child that would physically remove her poops from the box when she felt there were too many of them, and place them on the floor, although my mom took very good care of the box, haha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quinnderella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, her humans have certainly been stressed out lately but I can't think of anything that would be new for her. We haven't made the home environment any extra stressful either (no fighting or anything like that). I've scheduled a vet appointment for Monday morning, so hopefully we find out something.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to get a urinalysis and a fecal :nod:
Have you been cleaning the spots with a good enzyme cleaners?