Public Bathrooms

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Sarah,

Sounds like it's time to go up a size on the diapers!
No, she just does explosive poopies that go right up her back, bigger diapers would swim on her. The force behind her poops sometimes makes us wonder if she'll blow the entire thing off

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

No, she just does explosive poopies that go right up her back, bigger diapers would swim on her. The force behind her poops sometimes makes us wonder if she'll blow the entire thing off
Could be that she isn't digesting the milk and it's causing excess gas. Even breast fed babies can have problems digesting breast milk.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Could be that she isn't digesting the milk and it's causing excess gas. Even breast fed babies can have problems digesting breast milk.
She's not in pain, or doing anything to indicate she's having problems, she's just a poopy baby

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just used the weirdest public bathroom I've ever seen few days ago. It was an unisex toilet which had only one huge "sink" in it, nothing for a girl (or a boy) to sit on. There was a handle on the door which you can hold on to while peeing if your leg muscles aren't strong enough. it had a button on the wall which was the hand wash, the water went to that same "sink". There was also a button for a hand dryer (air). It was so weird, and kinda funny. And free!
It was near a public park so I was very afraid to go in there at first, and I thought it's going to cost something, but spending hours drinking lots of water in a park does make one want to pee eventually...

Generally I try to avoid public bathrooms unless I know the place is known to be clean.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I didn't know so many people have an aversion to using public restrooms! My mom and I joke that we've been in every public restroom within 100 miles....maybe even farther than that, LOL. Most are reasonably clean. Some are ratty but clean (mostly gas stations), others are in good shape but dirty (like some Wal-Marts). Restaurants usually have nice clean bathrooms. We also joke that when we go on vaction we should take pictures of every ladies' room we go into. Probably there would be a few hundred!
Ha ha, that's me and my mom, too. Not to mention my sisters.

It's a good thing I don't have that aversion many of you do. I pee a zillion times a day. I'd be in mighty big trouble if I could not use public bathrooms.

Pooping now, that's different. Even if the "library syndrome" I mentioned earlier hits, it wouldn't do me any good, once I got into a public restroom I'd never be able to go.

If I don't go in the morning, at home, I don't go till the next day.

However I got quite a chuckle from the posts talking about certain people who seem to have to poop in every toilet they come to. I dated a guy like that once. It drove me insane
. And I work with a young woman like that (but she's special needs)

This thread is hilarious!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LMAO!! I told BF about this thread last night and he came to the conclusion that we are all nuts....But when I told him I posted about his brother pooping in our house before we moved in he cracked up. I threaten ALL the time that Im going to put a toll in the bathroom door where all his friends and his brother have to pay to poop to help supply air freshners and toilet paper. Theres nothing worse than having to pee knowing someone is pooping in your bathroom and then to find out they DONT use theair freshner that sits on the toilet lid!! For real what is it about men that they cant use an air freshner LOL!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Theres nothing worse than having to pee knowing someone is pooping in your bathroom and then to find out they DONT use theair freshner that sits on the toilet lid!!
Yes there is, people that do use it.
You end up having to smell flowers and poop in a sickly combination. That is if I'm not in the middle of a bad coughing fit.

We don't allow any sort of air freshener, scented candles, strong perfumes, etc in our house. My sensitivity to them aside, it's a great way to send my asthmatic DH to the hospital. (it can even induce seizures in some people)

I hate walking into a bathroom full of air "fresheners". Some walmarts are terrible about this. I'd prefer a dirty bathroom to having to breathe a bunch of toxic chemicals.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Theres nothing worse than having to pee knowing someone is pooping in your bathroom and then to find out they DONT use theair freshner that sits on the toilet lid!!
I'm with you there. I have one of these in the bathroom, a Mini Freshmatic that comes in different fragrances, and 3 settings where it automatically gives short bursts of fragrance

http://content.etilize.com/Large/1010898110.jpg

And if any guests don't like the smell, well sorry but your in my home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder how intimidating this bathroom would be.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Yes there is, people that do use it.
You end up having to smell flowers and poop in a sickly combination. That is if I'm not in the middle of a bad coughing fit.

We don't allow any sort of air freshener, scented candles, strong perfumes, etc in our house. My sensitivity to them aside, it's a great way to send my asthmatic DH to the hospital. (it can even induce seizures in some people)

I hate walking into a bathroom full of air "fresheners". Some walmarts are terrible about this. I'd prefer a dirty bathroom to having to breathe a bunch of toxic chemicals.
I'm with you. I can't stand those plugs ins and other "air fresheners". they don't "freshen" the air, they just lay on a different kind of stink.

The way I see it, we are already inhaling so many pollutions we have little or no control over, why fill our lungs with all this other stuff. I don't know what kind of stuff those things put into the air, but I don't want to breathe them.

In my work I spend a lot of time in other people's homes. There is one place that has some kind of "freshener" in every room. I gag in that house. I have a sensory intolerance disorder and just about any kind of smell can make me ill, but those plug ins, and anything related, are pure evil, IMO.

I wear a mask in that one house. It doesn't help much, but it's better than nothing.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an air freshener that is for eliminating smoke. I found its the only one that doesnt add a poop/flower scent in the air LOL...It smells like fresh laundry which I like and it isnt super strong plus it really helps eliminate the poop smell.

Ya know thinking about it I just realized that either my bathroom is awesome or my house instigates people to poop. Noone has poop 'parties' at anyone elses house but for some reason they come to my house and everyone has to poop. Try having about 5 guys who ALL take turns pooping..Its nerve racking especially since Im in the house and watch them all file in and out of the bathroom LOL But they all laugh at GiGi trying to get into the bathroom with them, shes the bathroom monitor, some of the guys will even let her in with them to hang out LOL

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ya know thinking about it I just realized that either my bathroom is awesome or my house instigates people to poop. Noone has poop 'parties' at anyone elses house but for some reason they come to my house and everyone has to poop. Try having about 5 guys who ALL take turns pooping..Its nerve racking especially since Im in the house and watch them all file in and out of the bathroom LOL But they all laugh at GiGi trying to get into the bathroom with them, shes the bathroom monitor, some of the guys will even let her in with them to hang out LOL
Yeah, that would really bug me, too. One of the young women I work with always poops at my house. Doesn't matter if we're here for only ten minutes, she will go in and poop. Drives me crazy as she uses half a roll of toilet paper (tp is NOT cheap) and almost always clogs the toilet, though I've tried to train her to flush half way through and again before putting any paper in.

That guy I mentioned before, my gosh he was annoying. I have to pee alot, sure, but who poops six times a day? Good grief. And he was always so proud of it. Ugh!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear
I've had those cart gripping moments before too! I hate public bathrooms as well, but don't really mind restaurant ones. The Wal Mart here is horrible. I try to avoid Wal Mart anyway, as it is frustrating there, and also seems to be the store I always end up getting that feeling in
I went into their bathroom once and there was vomit all over the floors and walls of the women's bathroom.

Blahhhhh.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I have Crohn's so I know where every public bathroom is In every store ,gas station ect! I have that urge daily sometimes many many times a day..When I have to go I have to go. I HATE public bathrooms for the most part they are dirty!
I have learned to deal with it ,it is life..
I agree. I have IBS & Motion Sickness issues...so unfortunately, I think I know where EVERY public restroom is within a 20 mile radius and which ones are clean/dirty. It's just part of life for me too. I always keep flushable wipes in my purse and hand sanatizer just in case one of the restroooms isn't up to par. The way I see it, even though I'd prefer to use my restroom at home, I'm always greatful that there are at lease some available nearby if I'm out driving.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I have a sensory intolerance disorder and just about any kind of smell can make me ill, but those plug ins, and anything related, are pure evil, IMO.
I've very sensitive to scents and always have been. Usually I'll gag but more recently some stuff will actually make my throat and chest hurt. It feels like a tight pressure on my chest that makes breathing difficult.
Doc suspects asthma.

For everyone that's all "it's my home, deal with it". How does one get rid of their asthma/breathing problem or other disease? I'd really like to know. And would you foot the medical bill if you sent them to the ER?

Businesses offering public restrooms should be held to that, too. Stop filling the air with toxic chemicals before someone sues you.

And for those that have a lot of guys using their bathrooms. Install an exhaust fan! Why cover up the poopy smell when you can suck it out of the bathroom entirely.
Much more effective.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's only one place in town I won't go to the bathroom and that is K-mart. I know better. They never have toilet paper, it's always dirty, and the toilets don't always work.

Anywhere else is preferable.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! You have such a way with words, Katkuddler! I LOL'd! I can relate to that feeling, though it happens more than 3 times a year as I have IBS. I hate, hate, hate, using public restrooms. Not because they might not be pristine...my fear is having someone else in the same room with me when that happens. I'm just weird that way. Everyone goes to the restroom, I just don't want anyone knowing I'm going in there.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Oh dear
I've had those cart gripping moments before too! I hate public bathrooms as well, but don't really mind restaurant ones. The Wal Mart here is horrible. I try to avoid Wal Mart anyway, as it is frustrating there, and also seems to be the store I always end up getting that feeling in
I went into their bathroom once and there was vomit all over the floors and walls of the women's bathroom.

Blahhhhh.
I always get that feeling in Wal Mart too but thats because usually when we go to Wal Mart its in the city and we go for dinner first. That Wal Mart though has nice clean bathrooms.

I hate really smelly air fresheners. I usually spray a bit in the toilet before I go and it covers up the smell and then the air freshener isn't really in the air. The hotel we got married at had this thing in their toilet that every time you flush, the toilet would get all soapy and clean it. It was pretty neat and made the bathroom smell like it had just been cleaned.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of public restrooms, but, unfortunately, for me, they are a fact of life. I just do what I can in order to ensure that my needs are being taken despite the condition of the restroom. Because, sometimes, waiting is just not an option.

I have interstitial cystitis (if interested in what it is, please read here: http://www.ichelp.org/) and kidney issues as well as IBS and potential Crohn's (I am going to be tested this fall). And, to make a long story short, I don't always have the luxury of waiting until I get home to use the restroom. I also tend to drink a lot of fluids to maintain hydration so that other conditions are kept at bay and that, too, means that I frequently have to use public restrooms. Usually, I am running to the restroom every 15-30 minutes at home (due to the IC and kidney issues) and also must use the bathroom (due to the IBS and Crohn's) multiple times a day. The urges come on suddenly and can cause both physical and emotional pain if resisted. It's not fun, but it is what it is.

There was a time that I would refuse to use public restrooms. And, due to that, I developed several severe kidney infections -- more than one leading to septic shock. And, I preferred being doubled over in pain rather then placing myself in an uncomfortable situation. I'm thankful that, for today, I choose not to do that anymore. Instead, I focus on the fact that I'm grateful that there are many adequate public restrooms. And, I also appreciate that I am a woman and can bring a large purse with me when out and about so that I can take some of the comforts of home along with me. A man, I suspect, may have difficulties with that. And, contrary to popular belief, many men have issues using public restrooms as well. I pack in my purse extra tissue, flushable wipes, antibacterial wipes, and antibacterial hand lotion. I even have a hook I can hang on a restroom door to hold my purse and/or jacket. I carry other things as well, but those alone can make all the difference between being uncomfortable and being, well, less uncomfortable.

I know all of the local bathrooms. I know which stores have better restrooms and have learned to plan my routes accordingly. If I feel a bathroom is unsuitable, I usually know of another in close proximity. And, if all else fails, well, I do what is necessary. I'll always choose my bathroom at home over a public one, but being prepared does help. As for air fresheners, I am not a fan. But, that's because I am sensitive to them and they cause some difficulty breathing and have even caused me to vomit and have a seizure. But, I have medical conditions that cause those issues and so I just go about my way the best way I can. If using a restroom with air fresheners is inevitable, I cover my nose with a tissue or my shirt. I make do with what is available. If I could have an eating disorder and use public restrooms to "use behaviors" I can certainly make my mind up to use them in order to keep myself healthy. It may be less than ideal, but, again, it is just temporary. That thought helps a lot regardless of the situation.

And, one last thing. As far as public restrooms causing a giggle, I have had only one experience. I was in a public restroom in a dive bar in New York City and every time you flushed the toilet, it would have a recording that would play "For she's a jolly-good filly." And, as you'd turn on the faucet to wash your hands, it would play, "And this is the way we wash our hands...while drunk out of our minds 'til morning." At the time, I was intoxicating and found it absolutely hilarious, but now I think it's kind of weird. There have also been a number bathrooms I've been in that had affirmations on the mirrors and I found those to be special -- it was a beautiful thing (if ever there was beauty in public restrooms) that supported positive self-esteem. Kind of a nice thing, considering the location.

All in all, public bathrooms are both good and bad. They serve a purpose, sure. And, do I wish that they could all be as clean as my bathroom at home? Absolutely. But, they're not. Instead, my situation has taught me to be grateful for the clean restrooms there are as well as how to be prepared for all scenarios I might run into.

This was an interesting and, at times, funny thread. Thanks for sharing!