Pu Surgery Recovery

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my youngest had his PU surgery on Thursday and was discharged on Friday. It's all been purrs and biscuits since then which is encouraging. He eats some kibble and Royal Canin Urinary SO canned food and drinks water on his own, his pee is coming out nicely in good amounts and he seems pretty active. I keep him confined in a spare bedroom for about half of the day so that he can relax and eat whenever he wants. It's been 3 days now and things seem to be going well but he hasn't pooped! He does eat, but small amounts. He never ate a lot and preferred to nibble, but I don't know if he should have pooped by now. I haven't seen him strain to poop or anything, nor does he seem to be in pain. He wants to be close to me all the time and cuddles, he doesn't seem to want to hide or anything. No leaking by the way.

He has a scheduled check-up on Tuesday, so we'll see how he's healing.

What should I expect? Any subtle warning signs post-PU?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Did he eat while he was in for surgery and after? I guess I'm wondering if his tummy was empty and therefore he hasn't had a need to poop, so far?
Does his stomach feel solid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, he didn't.. He barely ate 3 days before the surgery and the day after -for most of which he was in the ER. He doesn't like going to the vet, and I mean AT ALL. He throws major tantrums when he sees the cage.

His tummy is soft and as far as I could tell his bladder is empty.

This is the current state of affairs. I still want the poop to come though :ohwell: Are there warning signs? He seems really relaxed so far, but I've read so many things about PU and I know that things can take a turn for the worst at any moment.

IMG_5353.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he hasn't by tomorrow morning, even though you're going in on Tuesday, maybe call them and see if they'd suggest anything like plain pumpkin? I still am wondering if he just hasn't digested enough food yet to create enough poop to expel it.

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he hasn't by tomorrow morning, even though you're going in on Tuesday, maybe call them and see if they'd suggest anything like plain pumpkin? I still am wondering if he just hasn't digested enough food yet to create enough poop to expel it.
That's the main reason I am calm too. I'm not seeing any alarming symptoms like a bloated belly.

Do you know if there are any things I should be particularly wary often after the PU?

motherof5cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me too, but I understand that there are people who have emergencies..

I did some research but I'm sure I'm missing something.