PU Surgery or steroid shot?

lambeauthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

My kitty is currently in the ER (since Saturday) with a blocked urethra :( He has been unable to pee on his own.

He has had numerous x-rays, ultrasounds, and catheters (4-5 at least) and there are no blockages such as stones or anything. The doctors say his blockage is from inflammation in the urethra. He has slight struvite crystals, but not enough to cause the blockage.

The vet mentioned a steroid shot for inflammation (but will greatly increase risk of infection and kidney damage) but they really recommend a PU surgery - probably today or tomorrow :(

He is only one year old.

I really want to avoid him having this surgery and I am leaning toward the steroid shot because I would like to think he is healthy enough for it because he is such a young cat. If there is no physical blockage do you think we should try the shot?

Anybody have experience with the steroid shot before? Recommendations?

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of the steroid shot option. My boy had surgery years ago, and came through just fine. I would have thought that the surgery is the safer option - there's no guarantee that the steroids will make enough of a difference, and I would have thought that he'll still be at risk of the bladder rupturing whilst waiting for the steroids to work. The fact he's only one really is in his favour - younger cats tend to bounce back from surgery much faster than older ones.

I'm not a vet, but that's just what my instincts are telling me. The best option is to go with your vet's first choice of treatment - they hate it, but I often ask them which route they'd take if it was their own cat.