Pu Surgery Cat Urinating 5 Times A Day. Is This Normal? Need Advice

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat 8 years old has urinary blockage and acute kidney failure with a crea of 6.3mg/dl last july 30. The vet performed a surgery and it was successful they also peformed another bloodtest 2 weeks after and his crea went back to normal which is 1.5 mg/dl. He has a catheter and a tube inserted the the beginning for 2 months so that the new hole will not get smaller once it's healed they also extended the catheter during that time because the urination was causing skin irritation on his feet the problem is because it's long he is stepping on it making the tube inserted to cause swelling on the healing wound inside this happened many times like 4 weeks after surgery so the healing progress slowed down then the vet decided to just removed the catheter and tube since it's already 1month and half and (the initial plan of removing it was 2 months after the surgery instead of 1 month) the hole appeared to be bigger now and we can see his urinating like a stream after. But I just notice he is urinating 5 times a day. there is no straining he is doing it in the litte box, his stool is normal, he has a big appetite, he is active, no vomiting. He also gained weight. His weight during the surgery was 2.6kg but now he weighs 3.55 kg. Is this normal to a PU surgery cat 2 months after the surgery? Is it because he is still healing since the tube slowed down the progress of healing causing swelling inside multiple times. Could also the urination because of his food? He is eating a wet food with about 78%, 80% and 85% percent moisture. 2 1/2 of 3 oz can a day. Should I be worried?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before, he was urinating 10 times with small amounts only,the vet said it could be behavioral since he is confused because his manhood was removed in an instant since he is active and eating a lot. I told him about the 5 times urination and he suggested to observe it but when I told the vet my cat is eating high moisture food and if there is something we should be doing he didn't suggest anything. Should I be worried?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today is his first time outside the cage after 2 mos being locked up inside. He's roaming around being curious and not sleeping like being restless. And now he drinking and urinating a lot today this only happens after I removed him inside the cage. Usually he drinks 3 to 4 times a day inside the cage and urinating 5 times only everyday. Is this due to stress after being outside the cage for the first time again? He is eating and active

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone much more informed will chime in soon, but I just wanted to say what a great custodian you are to your boy! I have a two year old male gray tabby and blockage is one of my biggest fears.

Given that your cat is urinating more rather than less, I think I would see that as a win . . . but as I said, someone with more experience than I have will surely hop on the thread shortly.

Best wishes for your boy!