psyllium vs pumpkin

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
need to tighten up Os output. He has always had a bit of gastro or IBS issues. As he as aged, his output goes from loose to logs over the course of the week.
And sometimes quite nasty, even dropped in pine nuggets.
He isn't hunting as he has no teeth and he prefers the easy meal.
Daily, he eats 1/3 Alnutrin DIY chicken and 2/3 BB Wilderness GF chicken.
I have put him back on FERA Probiotics and am debating putting him back on pumpkin puree.
Any reason psyllium might be better or the same? Powder or whole?
Certainly way less expensive and easier to find than pumpkin.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think one is any better than the other, unless you want to go totally natural. But you need a whole lot more pumpkin to get the same amount of fiber that you can get from a much smaller amount of psyllium, and I know from experience that not all cats will eat pumpkin.

I'm not sure what you mean by "powder or whole". I'm not familar with psyllium coming in any form other than powder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
amzn has both listed.
powder I guess. But how much per day?
I see 1/4, 1/2, & 1tspn.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I read you can give 1/2 teaspoon with every meal for diarrhea in cats. Of course, if you feed more than 3 meals per day I probably wouldn't add it to every meal. I'd probably start with adding 1/2 t to two meals and see what happens. If it doesn't help, then maybe add to another meal, BUT, has your Vet ever discussed this could possible be a chicken sensitivity? If so, fiber might not help. And they should be aware of what you are trying, just in case they have other thoughts on the matter.

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
vet has not. he has always had poultry only, so kind of doubt thats it.
And as I said, sometimes logs sometimes diarrhea.
He sometimes drinks from the fish pond, in spite of fresh water available.
I'd hate to have to go back to seafood or fish. Yeow that is nasty.
But we're going for an annual in 2 weeks, so I'll hold off the psyl til then.
More than 3 meals!?!? ha! I hate being home coz every time I come close to the kitch, as far as he's concerned, it's feeding time.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just an FYI, cats who've eaten the very same food all their lives can develop a sensitivity to it. And chicken is one of the foods that falls into this category. It's worth a thought. But there are other proteins aside from chicken that aren't seafood. Lamb, rabbit, beef, venison, turkey, pheasant, quail. Other "birds" aren't included when chicken becomes intolerable. I'm not saying that's the issue, but it could be. Also, drinking from the fish pond could be the issue too. Just think what might be in that water :eek2:

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do rotate with turkey. I may try wabbit or other if I can find from a reliable source.
Yea, that water is grotty. I hate cleaning the pump filters.
He gives me a "what" look when I chase him off it. I'm sure I'm not getting him even close to every time.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Just did a little math for the psyllium…

I use 3.5 Tablespoons of psyllium per 10 lb batch.

At 3 teaspoons per 1 Tbs, that comes to 10.5 tsp per batch, or approximately 1 tsp per pound of food.
16 oz per pound, gives approximately .25 tsp per 4 oz meal.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just did a little math for the psyllium…

I use 3.5 Tablespoons of psyllium per 10 lb batch.

At 3 teaspoons per 1 Tbs, that comes to 10.5 tsp per batch, or approximately 1 tsp per pound of food.
16 oz per pound, gives approximately .25 tsp per 4 oz meal.
I'm guessing you are using the psyllium as added fiber, NOT for either constipation or diarrhea? I'm just asking because I'm wondering if, similar to L-Lysine, one would double up during an "episide", and that's why what I read advised 1/2 teaspoon per meal :dunno:? I think this is very possible.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful about doubling up, as psyllium ”bulks”, and a little bit goes a long way.
It might be fine for diarrhea, but also means too much could actually cause blockage.

If constipation is the issue, slippery elm might be another option, as it causes mucus generation in order for things to “slip along”.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm personally not a fan of psyllium as it needs to be hydrated before added to food. Dry psyllium will need water from your cat, so it would be less helpful to an older cat who could be more prone to dehydration, however slight.

My philosophy for my cats has always been to try and keep as much water in them as possible to prevent urinary issues.

Anyway, it just was too much planning to keep track of for my home. Pumpkin was easier as I just freeze a can into an ice cube tray and defrost a cube for the week for two cats.

However, I have done flax. But that was to add fibre, not to prevent diahrea. I would make a "flax egg" and mix it into their wet food.

Recently, I had some issues with watery poos from introducing a new protein to my new cat (lamb) and I gave him some probiotics once a day (human ones). It got sorted really quickly, but the vet recommended I keep providing the probiotics for at least two weeks. He's still eating the lamb and has no issues. He switched from 100% dry at the shelter to 99% wet with no issues (has decided not to eat dry anymore despite its availability).

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1/4 tsp sounds like good math to me, though I'll see how the probiotics go and the annual to the vet
started him on FERA Probiotics, as I said. Time will tell.