Psycho cat

kdesmond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, missy, a spayed female who is 10 an Balu, a neutered male who is 6. My problems started when I had to change jobs and go to an office when I used to work at home. Balu started pulling his fur out. He's been checked and has no skin conditions. Then Balu got a bad bladder infection and I've been nursing him back to health.

Just when he started to recover, missy has gotten not only aggressive, but is viciously attacking Balu. When I can separate her, I put her in another room. Several hours went by and I thought she had calmed down, so I let her out. She seemed ok at first and was laying on the floor and Balu was on the couch with me when suddenly out of nowhere, she attacked him. Going for his throat. Balu was so traumatized, he peed all over the place during the attack.

I've given her treats and pet her...I'm at my wits end with what to do.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the forums.  It sounds like Missy is taking her stress out on Balu.  She can sense that something is wrong with him and it doesn't feel normal to her.  Not only are you no longer home, but Balu is different too.  If you took Balu to the vet, he then would come home smelling different too.  Missy is upset and even though she and Balu might have been buddies, all of this change is too much. 

A few things to try:

Get a feliway diffuser or two.  The phermones might help them both feel more relaxed.  Composure liquid max works well to help calm cats too.  I would dose both of them to start and see if it helps.  They do sell Composure feline treats, but some cats don't care for the taste.  The liquid can be mixed in their wet food.  You can find it on Amazon. 

When you are gone, try leaving a radio or tv on.  The sound of voices might calm them.

You might need to do reintroductions.  I know it sounds crazy, but in the cat world, it often needs to be done.  Here is a link  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Also here is a thread about a similar situation.  There are tons of tips and advice along the way. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/274482/redirected-cat-aggression-in-my-two-males