Psychics

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband and I were out this weekend and we saw a "Free Psychic Reading" sign. That prompted a long discussion.

Do you believe in psychics? Have you ever been to a psychic?

I have never been to a psychic. I do feel there are some that are legitimate, specifically when you hear cases about them helping the police. I think there are many out there that are frauds though.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You mean like a fortune teller? Card reader? I've never been to a psychic, but I have been to a card reader. 
  Several times.

There used to be an elderly woman who could read the cards. Mom, my sister, and I would go down to her from time to time and we'd shuffle and cut the cards. And she would do her thing. The first time I went down, she scared me. She told me stuff that I had never told anybody. Nobody knew this stuff had ever happened. But she did. And I don't know how. She firmly believed in Christianity, in the power of God. But she believed in her ability, too. 

Most people are pretty general. They will tell you general stuff, that could happen and would depend on how you take what they say. Not her. She told me right out what was going on. And she was right. I tried to be nonchalant about the whole thing, but I did not leave there unshaken. Now, not everything she told me happened, which was a good thing, but she was right a lot of times. I remember she told me one time to always have a copy of the 23rd Psalm in the glove compartment of my car, that it would protect me. And I have. I have been in two very serious accidents (one where the car rolled over twice) and I can't say that Psalm protected me. But I can't say it didn't. Every car I have ever had has the 23rd Psalm in the glove compartment. My sister's cars have all had it, too.

My aunt lived in New York and she would come down to visit with us several times a year.....and she always visited this woman when she was here. She would walk out of that room shaking her head.

So I don't know. There are a lot of frauds and I tend to take a lot of this stuff with a grain of salt. Most of it is in fun, I think. Her? She scared me.

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suspect anyone offering a "free" psychic reading is hoping to lure customers in & tell them what they want to hear, in hopes they will return again & pay for the next "reading". A truly legitimate psychic would possibly use their gift to aid police in unsolved cases- which is commendable. But your run of the mill palm readers are pretty much just trying to make a buck, IMHO.
And trying to contact the spirit world is inviting trouble no matter how you look at it!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and yes.

l think most of the ones out there are fakes and use it for entertainment, as do the customers.

l have only been to one, and much like Winchester, l was rattled when l left. This was a guy and he told me things about a deceased family member that he could never have known. He also told me things about myself that nobody knew. And these were very specific and detailed things. lt made the hair stand up on my neck, and still does thinking about it. l'd never go back, l don't want to know things.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used an animal communicator once for a horse I had many years ago. Does that count? We had been trying to uncover a lameness that he had, and I mentioned to the vets at the vet school what he said and he was right. My horse had a stick in his hoof.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I believe it is opening up a realm in the spirit world where I don't want to go. I pray and ask the Lord to reveal the things to me I need to know. It works and it is free.:nod:

Last edited:

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I believe it is opening up a realm in the spirit world where I don't want to go. I pray and ask the Lord to reveal the things to me I need to know. It works and it is free.:nod:
Amen to that! Not to mention the Bible clearly teaches not to EVER engage in necromancy- invites the demons right on your doorstep! God will reveal only what He wants us to know, & the rest is a matter of trusting Him with our future... :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am really pretty skeptical.  I think the ones that are "good" are actually good at reading people and have excellent memories.  They read body language including slight changes in facial expressions and remember every little thing someone says and links it together.  They also play the odds.  Someone my age, 58, probably has experienced the death of a close family member.  They begin probing, figure out who died without the person realizing the information came from them, then the psychic has spoken to this person on the other side.  They can read a persons personality and subsequently their "weaknesses" such as loneliness and begin probing that in a way that the person again gives them information without realizing they have given it to them.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The vast majority probably aren't legitimately psychic, but as denice denice said, are very good at reading body language and relying on probability. I got dragged to one by a friend years ago, and the woman got just about everything wrong!

That said, I used to dabble in card reading myself, and was tested for psychic ability by a professor of psychobiology who was studying clairvoyance (who incidentally said that my overwhelmingly negative results were so drastically "against the odds" that they indicated I was psychic, but had a very cynical attitude about such abilities. How's that for interpreting results? )

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree many are just in it for money; "gypsies" more or less, however, having said that I did go to one many years ago that was highly recommended by a friend.  The women was from the United Kingdom, me - in Florida at the time.  There was no possible way this person could have found out much about me, especially since this was eons before the internet made things so accessible.  She really got things correct on several issues and looking back on it - also predicted how my life would go on issues of finances and relationships.  

So, I'm on the fence I guess.  I think there are some people who are intuitive to a level we don't understand.  In my own life, I have had moments of knowing things about people or events which can't be explained.  I used to freak my mom out by knowing who was on the phone when it rang, knowing when people were barely pregnant and it wasn't yet announced, I used to keep a dream diary for years and had many instances of things coming true after I had dreamed them.  

So yea, not sure but still think most are scamming people.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a person can predict another's future or anything.

I've met a Shaman once. "you'll be rolling in money!".. yea. right.

But I do believe people can communicate with the dead, in some ways or other.