Pseudopregnancy?

CupCake411

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I couldn't find much about pseudopregnancy for cats.

My cat is about 11 months old. I adopted her recently after she was neutered with a bright scar and a shaved belly so I am guessing just before she was 10 months old. I noticed her teats were kind of swollen and she was licking them a lot so I decided to test and squeeze one and she is lactating!? Is this normal? I am considering getting a cone collar so she doesn't lick (to stop lactation). Any suggestions on what to do?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At her age it is possible that she had a litter before being spayed and her milk just hasn’t stopped. But since you just adopted her you want to have her checked out by your own vet and ask them about it.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would also recommend asking the vet. Susanm9006’s explaination I think makes sense, that your kitty might have been nursing before being spayed, but I would definitely recommend having her checked out.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to having your own vet look at her, I would suggest you call the place that you got her from, and ask if she was pregnant, lactating, or in heat when spayed.

The Feline Spay - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center
"Occasionally spaying a cat in heat leads to dramatic mammary gland development in the recovery period. This is because the sudden drop in progesterone levels that accompanies the removal of the active ovaries mimics the drop in progesterone that accompanies giving birth to kittens. The subsequent mammary development (called "mammary hyperplasia") can be spectacular but generally resolves without treatment as hormones normalize."​

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CupCake411

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In addition to having your own vet look at her, I would suggest you call the place that you got her from, and ask if she was pregnant, lactating, or in heat when spayed.

The Feline Spay - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center
"Occasionally spaying a cat in heat leads to dramatic mammary gland development in the recovery period. This is because the sudden drop in progesterone levels that accompanies the removal of the active ovaries mimics the drop in progesterone that accompanies giving birth to kittens. The subsequent mammary development (called "mammary hyperplasia") can be spectacular but generally resolves without treatment as hormones normalize."​
Thanks I was additionally planning on bringing her to the vet. She does need a shot soon. That article helps! I couldn't find much online- I appreciate your insight