Prozac vs. amitriptyline for spraying

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I looked through some threads, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. My Bert, who is an 8 year old male orange tabby, has been on Prozac for years for spraying/marking. He has had some urinary issues, but does not currently have any. He has been spraying though, for the last few months, though I've witnessed him also using the litter box. I was wondering if anyone who has had a cat on Prozac long term, ever had them develop a resistance to it, and if they had switched them to another drug? Also, any other advice would be great, as I'm sick and tired of coming home from work every night and scouring my house with a black light, looking for whatever spot he's peed on this time.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally, amitriptyline is used more for urinary issues. If the Prozac isn't working, I would definitely discuss a change with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made him an appointment for Thursday, so I'll talk to her about it. It's just that the prozac worked so well for so long, I'm frustrated that it's not doing the job anymore.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When was the last time an urinalysis was run? Urinary issues tend to be recurring, so it's always good to rule out a medical reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epwv82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His last urinalysis was on August 1st. I'm actually really hoping that he does have a UTI or something, but Bert is very vocal and agitated when he has something going on medically, unlike a lot of cats who don't really act off, so when he acts normal, I tend to think nothing is wrong. He's been on l-methionine also. But like I said, I really am hoping that he has something medically wrong, unfortunately, I just don't think he does. I guess we'll see after Thursday.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please let me know what the vet thinks. I have a cat with similar issues and nothing has worked yet. Anxiety meds are our next step. What dose of prozac was your cat on?  He may need his dose adjusted.