Prozac For Cat Aggression

Carolyn TN cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been introducing a rescue cat into our family. We have 2 adult neutered male cats and a Brittany. The new kitty has been here and living separated in our sunroom. He’s pretty aggressive and have been doing all the scent swapping, site swapping. Eating on each side of door. But they are all still reactive. Our vet behaviorist has him on 2.5 mg Prozac, he’s been on it for 19 days ( yep, I’m counting), but I can’t tell if it’s really helping. Anyone have experience on how long it takes to see some change and what is the normal dosage. Thanks, I’m up for any suggestions, we’re also doing multi cat Feliway, Zlylene supplement and Composure Pro for the cat that I can’t get the Zlykene in.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've used Prozac for anxiety, with success in both our boys. We noticed subtle differences before the first week ended. From what I read, the dosage can be from 2.5-5mg. We are at 2.5 mg each male.
Another items you can try, which I did before the Prozac, is Bach's Rescue Remedy Pet. 2-4 drops work well on a freeze dried treat because the liquid likes the texture. Tom grew a tolerance after 2 days, but on days where Stew's anxiety is still bugging him after his daily Prozac, he has taken Bachs and then went off to take a nap in the guinea pig pen. His father told me not to give him 4 drops, but 2 next time. I had previously been giving 4 drops to Tom.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. I'm sorry that the upheaval brought you here, but really glad that you found us! Is the rescue only aggressive towards the other cats, or is he human-aggressive, as well?

I have to warn you that successful integration of cats can take MONTHS to totally achieve. It is definitely a patience game. I'm going to give you the links to some articles about introducing cats and aggression. I'm hoping that one of them might sparks an "AH HA" moment for you!
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carolyn TN cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I will check out the links. He’s just cat aggressive. He is very loving and playful with me and my husband, and oddly gets along good with our dog. The resident cats have been out of sorts with cooler weather and rain, so they haven’t wanted to be outside in their enclosure. I have heard that adults are much harder to add. If he wasn’t such a sweet little cat, I guess I’d feel different. I would just like to see a tiny bit of progress. As I look back at my log, they are all doing better, guess I just need to relax and enjoy the process . I will check out the links, thank you! C

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have a male on 5 mg a day for urination issues. I can't remember how many days it was before we saw a difference, but I'm thinking it was a couple of weeks. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 is right, it can take a long time for the integration process with some cats. :goodluck: