Proplan dry food

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any bad experiences with Proplan dry food? I read some horrifying things about it causing chronic and acute kidney failure. And what is it about the food that causes it? I can't afford to give my girls canned food. I don't want to give them the cheap kitty junk foods either. Help!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think all dry foods contribute to issues with the urinary tract because of chronic low level dehydration.  Could you feed part wet food and part dry food?  Even the cheaper wet foods added to the dry will certainly help.  Foods like the Friskies pates would help and are reasonably priced.  I like the pates because generally they are lower in carbs which helps with urinary pH.  The Fancy Feast classic pates are also good but they are higher than the Friskies.  As far as dry goes, a grain free would be the best but they are higher priced than the Purina Pro Plan.  Foods like Wellness Core.  Of course when you're feeding half wet and half dry a bag of dry will last a long time.

You could also try a water fountain.  Some kitties drink more water with a water fountain, others don't.  Drinking more water will help counteract the dehydrating effect of eating dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mandie and Holly drink a lot of water and it's filtered. They like Proplan canned but I've stopped giving it to them. I'd like to switch to Purina One dry. It's a lot cheaper. I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's better to pay a little more for preventative care (ie. wet food) than a huge expensive vet bill down the road!