Proper Savannah Growth- Urgent

tigerkytti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so here's a quick idea as to why the situation is urgent- my ex is trying to take my savannah cat, in part by possibly telling people that he's not being cared for properly.  How much, or what's being said, I don't know for sure, but suffice to say this is the most interest he's shown in Aether in over 3-4 months. And I would take him to a vet myself to be certain, but can't afford to currently due to this entire situation.

So, what I'm asking for help with, is anyone who has owned savannahs before, if you could give me a good idea as to if Aether is well.... healthy and where he is supposed to be for his age. 

Aether is an F3 savannah, and going to be 1 years old on February 12th.  I don't know his weight right now, my scale is dead.  But I can take pictures of any part of him as needed, he's laid back enough to let me do that I think. Any information or signs I can use to tell me what I need to know would be great too.

I know that the best thing of course would always be to take him to a vet, as they can check things that I can't. But for now, this is all I have, so any help would be very much appreciated!

Oh and also signs to if he's bonded to me, as it's almost been me solely spending time with him and while I am confident he is, better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you to anyone who's willing to help. Aether means the world to me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he being fed a sufficient amount of properly balanced cat food? If so, he should be growing exactly as much as his genetics say he ought to grow. You can't make a cat bigger than he's supposed to be.

If you post pics we can offer opinions about his body condition.

Custody battles over cats can sometimes be difficult and sometimes very straightforward. Whose name are his vet records in? Who signed the contract from the breeder?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerkytti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately the food I've had to feed him is not the best. Its a lower quality wet food. Again, this is due to the ongoing current situation. Planning on a better food as soon as I can.

And yeah, been looking up all I can to cover myself. His vet records were in both our names, but I recently had the ex removed from it. I think he was mainly under my name too. All paperwork for his is also under my name.

Side question, is rawhide or dog chewing stuff ok for them? He loves chewing on things I find.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this with the average size range for each generation  http://savannahcatbreed.com/which-cat-is-right-for-you/    According to this males average 14 to 20 pounds, 14 to 17 inches at the shoulder and 18 to 21 inches long.  He is just now a year old he very well may not be fully filled out yet.  He definitely has that gangly appearance that is common to the Savannah and from this picture anyway he looks like a healthy weight to me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even a cheaper commercial food is still balanced, so that part shouldn't be a concern. I was just making sure he wasn't getting a diet of nothing but boiled chicken or something like that :eek:. You just never know.

If he's getting enough food and clean water and has a reasonable living situation, and is up-to-date on legally required vaccines, there shouldn't be any legal standing for him to be removed from you. In custody cases it usually comes down to whose name is on the paperwork.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerkytti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for replying btw.

I'll definitely be taking a look at the link to gather more information.

From what I can tell, he is about 24 inches from his nose to butt.  About 36 inches including his tail. I'm not sure if it's fully accurate, considering that I had to use wire and an online ruler XD All my measuring stuff is inaccessible atm.  And yes, the breeder did tell me that he would be growing most likely until he's about 18 months old. 

Not able to feed him as much as he'd like to eat, but he's definitely not starving. He lets me know at that point for sure! lol Being that I'm in Canada, from what I've read, cats are considered property. And the gray area comes in where that the Aether's purchase was made on the ex's credit card but I did all the communication and signing of information, etc.  Kind of the pattern in the end, where all effort made with the cat was in my hands. At least it's looking good so far.

But a friend of his tried to have me make a bet, because their significant other apparently works as a vet tech or such, and wanted me to make the bet that if they took him in to be checked out, I keep him if he's where he's supposed to be, but if he's not the ex gets him. I definitely said no, for more than a couple reasons but yeah.  It's pretty ridiculous.