Proper carrier sizing

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve researched this and have found so much conflicting information… I’m looking to get new carriers for my cats and I can’t figure out the right size.

I’ve read that it should be 1.5 the length from shoulder to butt. Or from nose to butt. Or those measurement “plus 3-4 inches.” Or big enough for them to move around in freely.

My current ones are hard carriers, sized for large cats. My cats are small (6-7lbs) but the small carriers looked just so tiny, so I got big ones. But I do find them difficult - the cats can move around and shift their weight, and it’s hard to carry them smoothly. I only need them for vet trips.

I didn’t expect it to be so difficult to figure this out! Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't know there were formulas for sizing a carrier.

I had a soft sided carrier for Poppy, who was a tall/long legged cat, so this carrier was long enough for him nose to tail with extra inches, but not for him to sit or stand up. It worked fine until after one vet trip and he was too stressed to pee at the vet so he did it in the carrier in the car.

I got a big hard sided carrier so that any further accidents would be contained in the bottom of the carrier, under a piece of carpet remnant. Poppy didn't move around much when he was in it, so the weight shift/tilting wasn't an issue.

However, Captain moves around a lot in the big carrier and the tilting of such a big carrier, as you've mentioned, can be quite a problem. So I dug out the smaller soft sided carrier.

I think it ends up being a little bit of trial and error.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve researched this and have found so much conflicting information… I’m looking to get new carriers for my cats and I can’t figure out the right size.

I’ve read that it should be 1.5 the length from shoulder to butt. Or from nose to butt. Or those measurement “plus 3-4 inches.” Or big enough for them to move around in freely.

My current ones are hard carriers, sized for large cats. My cats are small (6-7lbs) but the small carriers looked just so tiny, so I got big ones. But I do find them difficult - the cats can move around and shift their weight, and it’s hard to carry them smoothly. I only need them for vet trips.

I didn’t expect it to be so difficult to figure this out! Any guidance would be much appreciated.
The black one I bought online for my long 9 pd cat. She's easy to handle and carrier is comfy. My 6.5 small cat clings to the sides but I do not have trouble since hers is extra large so she cannot cling. I added a towel inside since the bottom is hard plastic. Keep them in your closet if it's walk in. I pick her up,close the door,then put her in
20240104_214325.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

I guess the size to get is that it is comfortable when your cat lay down in it and and have some space from tip to tip as they are lying down, there's should be some free space front and back. Also if they are in prone position, more space is on the sides and it depends on whether the cat is more to the left or right. You have to give them some space just in case they are standing up all the time.

If your cats are not panicky or fidgety and stay calmly in the carrier while traveling in a car, I think a hard career is better. You can stuff some towels in it if the carrier is a little too big but I think it's useless because they'll kick it around.

I also think that most cats will move about in the carrier. For me, I like a soft carrier that I can sling on my shoulder and tuck my boy close to me with my arm as he is afraid when he's in the carrier and also when carried on my shoulder, he's much more closer to me and I can talk to him. I can't do that with a hard carrier, maybe you still can do but it's not so comfortable carrying on the shoulder.

This is the older carrier I had for him and he fits in nicely. This one is a top loader.

- IMG_3645-photo-full.jpg

- IMG_3190.JPG

- IMG_3192.JPG

I got him a new one last year which has opening on top, sides and front for easy loading.

- IMG_3210.JPG

- IMG_3230.JPG

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like enough space for them to turn around. It'll depend on what your cat likes and how long they'll be in it for. 😺

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use the hard plastic airkennel style ones myself. The soft ones are harder to clean and don't seem like they would offer the same protection in a car accident. Mine are small enough I can buckle it into the back seat of the car.

I really only use mine for transpotation in a vehical or plane so i want to be extra sure my cats will be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only use the hard plastic airkennel style ones myself. The soft ones are harder to clean and don't seem like they would offer the same protection in a car accident. Mine are small enough I can buckle it into the back seat of the car.
Yeah, I've always thought the plastic ones were safer than the soft ones. In the end, I did end up getting two soft carriers; if I were doing a drive or flight I would go with hard, but I only use them when walking my cats to the vet. It's a short walk (long enough to struggle with the weight and when they shift around, but not long enough for them to chew their way out or, hopefully, pee) and my cats are calm in carriers so I felt that ease of walking them would be worth it.

Thanks all for the advice! It was very helpful.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet is in a different city ~15 mins away traffic dependant. Plus with two carriers its easier to load them in the car. My cats are fairly quiet in the car but indy can get a bit antsy. Sometimes she bites at the door so i think she would rip a soft carrier easily.

My old cat used to get carsick and ocasionaly would puke in the carrier so the hard ones were easy to just hose off outdoors.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy feels very uneasy in the carrier and that’s why I got him the soft carrier so that I can hug him close to me to comfort him while traveling in the car to the vet and while waiting at the vet. Other than that, there’s no reason for me to put him in a carrier.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've always thought the plastic ones were safer than the soft ones. In the end, I did end up getting two soft carriers; if I were doing a drive or flight I would go with hard, but I only use them when walking my cats to the vet. It's a short walk (long enough to struggle with the weight and when they shift around, but not long enough for them to chew their way out or, hopefully, pee) and my cats are calm in carriers so I felt that ease of walking them would be worth it.

Thanks all for the advice! It was very helpful.
If your walking then how about a stroller? My cats LOVE going for walks in the stroller,I have 3strollers- the one pictured is a single- it's my favorite with storage underneath,a cup holder up top and a nice hood....
I have one little girl not crazy about walking on her leash because she's too preoccupied with bugs & lizards so when walking 4 it's easier to put one or 2 in the stroller-

Attachments