Proper age to get fixed?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until she is spayed, you really should keep her inside. Kittens as young as 4 months old can get pregnant. Its your responsibility to see that she doesn't get pregnant!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angryrectangle

Oops! Ahh sorry, I'm Canadian.. I got a little confused there. We go by kilos here!! She's not 2 pounds, don't worry. I MEANT to say she's barely 2 KILOS. I still think she's a bit small, but not that small.
So 4-5 months old and around 4lbs to 4 1/2lbs. That sounds about right for her age then. She should be able to handle being spayed soon.

Does she need her shots? Flea meds? Any deworming?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies, kitty is currently being spayed as I type. I'm very nervous about someone cutting her up but it's for the best.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

If she were to have staples or stitches and be outside alone you may not notice is she starts picking at them and removes any, and you don't want her running, jumping, or climbing (big trees).

And yes - I know some of the people here release ferals that do just fine, but one member recently lost a cat because he let her out too soon after spaying.
Maybe it's better to think of her as more of a feral cat. She'll be fine outside, but if we try to confine her inside she'll probably destroy herself and anything around her.. she gets a little crazy when confined. Usually when she's inside it's to nap and take a bath.. and if she's taking a bath she's probably going to pick at something.

I'm happy to keep an eye on her outside, as she usually just sits in a tree or hides in the grass.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

So 4-5 months old and around 4lbs to 4 1/2lbs. That sounds about right for her age then. She should be able to handle being spayed soon.

Does she need her shots? Flea meds? Any deworming?
When we found this kitty she had alot of medical issues, so she's already been through all the parasites/fleas/worms medication possible. She's a very healthy cat now, and it's her regular vet and they know her well.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure she will be fine - not only can she enjoy the outside without worry of pregnancy, it will increase her life, as she wont be at risk of pyometra (nasty infection) or certain types of cancer.