Promising early results on new kidney disease treatment?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Interesting.
Here's a quote from the article:

• Japanese professor Toru Miyazaki has discovered a potential trigger for feline chronic kidney disease (CKD) that involves the protein AIM (apoptosis inhibitor of macrophage), also known as CD5-like (CD5L); AIM is a secreted protein in the blood that supports kidney health by identifying, destroying, and removing dead cells and other debris that accumulate in the body;
  • In many cats, it seems the AIM protein can’t do its job properly because it binds too tightly to IgM [immunoglobulin M] antibodies, which impedes its ability to dissociate from the antibodies and attach to the problematic debris to initiate the cleansing process;
He's working on a preventative treatment that involves both food and drugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks Mani.

Some rumors going around the internet say that a few cats on the trial that were considered terminal are now doing well.

The science gives me hope, though I know treatments take time to move around the world later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm amazed how Semintra has helped Sundar. He was diagnosed with renal failure four years ago and it has completely stabilised him.. not cured, but it has not progressed.
That's huge! I love that for him. My friend's cat is very early stages but stabilized by diet so far (3 years and no change in bloodwork).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm amazed how Semintra has helped Sundar. He was diagnosed with renal failure four years ago and it has completely stabilised him.. not cured, but it has not progressed.
Did/does Sundar also have high blood pressure?
Just curious. I would love to give Feeby something for her CKD that might also manage her high blood pressure (currently on Amlodipine), but I suppose given she also has some form of lymphoma, it probably would be a possibly moot punt. She is also 19+ yo, and so I am not sure with all that is going on with her, including hyperthyroidism, that it would even be fruitful for an attempt to get this med for her. Nonetheless, I am going to read up on it more.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Did/does Sundar also have high blood pressure?
Just curious. I would love to give Feeby something for her CKD that might also manage her high blood pressure (currently on Amlodipine), but I suppose given she also has some form of lymphoma, it probably would be a possibly moot punt. She is also 19+ yo, and so I am not sure with all that is going on with her, including hyperthyroidism, that it would even be fruitful for an attempt to get this med for her. Nonetheless, I am going to read up on it more.
Yes he does FeebysOwner FeebysOwner but pretty well always has.. he has pectus excavatum and thoracic scoliosis so there's very little space for his heart and lungs in his chest. They feel that would have brought on the renal failure. It's definitely worth looking into though. :hugs: