Promise rings

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I have one- John surprised me w/ it right after we started dating- and its beautiful - a 1/2 carat princess cut - and I cherish it everyday. I also gave him one last year for our 1 year anniversary. I guess people may think they are childish, but for me, I really adore mine and cherish it more than anything

I guess thats just me, you can think of it as childish or immature if you want, we all have our own opinions I guess.
I have one as well. My BF, a Jon also, gave it to me for our one year anniversary and I couldn't have been happier. It is a beautiful ring that happens to match the necklace he had gotten me for my birthday that year. Every time I look it at all I can do is smile

But like babyharley said, everyone has their own opinions and you are not wrong for yours. It was much better you told him how you really felt about it from the start rather than seeming disappointed when he gave it to you. He has the right to be hurt, but just reassure him that it has nothing to do with him -- just a personal choice!! Don't feel badly!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand your viewpoint... but I would have pretended it was the most wonderful gift in the whole wide world.
It's the thought that counts, and if a promise is the point he's at on the commitment curve, then a promise is a sincere and lovely compliment to you.

I'm a very rare bird: a female commitmentphobic... so I can imagine how a halfway-house between dating and engagement might be a very nice, comfortable place to dwell for a little while. Baby steps, as we keep saying over on the weightloss thread.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I have one- John surprised me w/ it right after we started dating- and its beautiful - a 1/2 carat princess cut - and I cherish it everyday. I also gave him one last year for our 1 year anniversary. I guess people may think they are childish, but for me, I really adore mine and cherish it more than anything

I guess thats just me, you can think of it as childish or immature if you want, we all have our own opinions I guess.
Holy Cow Mackenzie, a 1/2 carat! That's the size of diamond I got for our 10 year wedding anniversary! LOL. You go girl!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1/4 carat diamond and platinum promise ring that Jeremy gave me on my 30th birthday.
Very simple and understated, I love it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Holy Cow Mackenzie, a 1/2 carat! That's the size of diamond I got for our 10 year wedding anniversary! LOL. You go girl!
And I didn't even pick it out!! We weren't even dating yet and he surprised me with it- he has VERY wonderful taste in jewelery!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought myself a $20 ring (silver claddagh) a few months into the relationship so i could show everyone that i was taken and proud. Hes always dragging me to jewellery shop windows telling me to pick something when there are sales. But the ring i bought i wear all the time, i couldn't change over to another ring unless it was for our engagement not just a gift ring. Im weird that way

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to agree with the OP, but to each his own. I wouldn't feel like a "horrible person", but this is definitely something to communicate about. Just remember, you can never express your love for HIM too often

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! He is starting to understand where I am coming from now. I am trying to approach it gently, hes a very sensitive guy.
Plus right now we're dealing with a long distance relationship. He arrives here tomorrow for a week.. but not sure how long it will be until I see him after that. We will end up moving to be with each other soon. We lived together a year ago, split up for a year and came back to each other after realizing we were better together than apart. Thanks so much for the support, I don't feel so insensitive now